Dull looking acrylic nails....please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllieMOD

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I did my nail tech training and qualified with entity products 2 years ago and all has been going great. I'm now at the stage where it's getting easier by the day..i know my routine well,and have been happy! I'm still far off perfect but getting there.

Anyway..I have noticed when people are coming back for their backfills/rebalance the nails look really dull! I do use a gel top coat after filing down the finished acrylic so when i finish a new set they are super shiny!

This only came to my attention as a girl that works in our building has her nails done by another tech in town (who has 30 years experience!) and after 3 weeks they still look super shiny and like they have just been applied, apart from a bit of growth of course :) her acrylic is applied super thin but I was taught to apply slightly more in the stress apex area.

I'm not getting any lifting or many breakages so I'm not really sure why they are dull :(

Just thought it would be nice for people to have shiny nails longer than 1-2 weeks!

Any advice greatly appreciated..I'm using entity products start to finish :)

Thanks

Allie

Maybe its the gel topcoat you are using?
Maybe its the l&p?
I dont know experiment around by just using a buffing block changing your top coat or products xx

It won't be the acrylic as it is covered by the Gel topcoat, therefore I think you need to shop about for a new Gel topcoat.

I used to use my Harmony Top it Off over my acrylics, but found with some clients (the ones with dark hair tint on their hair!) it discoloured.

I now use a hard gel topcoat that doesn't leave an inhibition layer behind. The one I use is Mosaic but I doubt you will get that in Oz. Similar ones are the Nfu.Oh Top Gel and Viv Simmonds is a distributor for that in Australia, or the EzFlow one.

You could always go back to just buffing up the acrlyic to a glass like shine by using a 3 way buffer to finish, I still do that with some clients ;)

Thanks for the advise ladies! 😄

Sorry....just realised you are in New Zealand, and not Australia....right side of the world but wrong country..apologies :o

Sorry....just realised you are in New Zealand, and not Australia....right side of the world but wrong country..apologies :o

No prob! Might try nsi glaze n go?? Read good things on here about it!

I find with the entity uv top coat it goes a bit dull after 3 weeks too :( will look around for another or maybe use my gelish one?xx

I use Nsi glaze and go, that stays really shiny :)

Hi I've been training at home now for about a month so basically as new as you can get. I use NSI from start to finish, however I do not have a UV light yet to cure nails so I have been trying to get a high shine from buffing but they always turn out dull or marble why is that thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

I use Nsi glaze and go, that stays really shiny :)

Second that :) gives a lovely finish and stays shiny. The bottle seems to last for ages too xx

Second that :) gives a lovely finish and stays shiny. The bottle seems to last for ages too xx

Fab! I've just ordered 2 bottles..hate not having a spare! 😉

Latest posts

Back