Dummies guide to Back links

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
I think I need one!

I have read the SEO threads and searched Google, but I find that everything explains Back links like you already know what you are doing and I don't, to be truthful.

Please can somebody explain the following in simple, beginners terms?

1) What exactly is a Back link? Please could you give an actual example?

2) How do I get them onto my website?

3) If I am already on page 1 of Google doing my own SEO title pages and descriptions, why do I also need Back Links?

I hope someone can explain simply enough for me to leave this thread being able to utilise them on my site.

Thanks! :biggrin:

You could do with them to increase the popularity of your site in google.

There are lots of websites that sell them but its not that easy. Many are from link farms, irrelevent to.your content and poorly rated.

You can get your own, paste a link on ur fb page, get everyone you know to. Post a link in forums and anywhere you can.

Google free directory listings and submit your website to these.

There are websites that check how many links you have

Hope that helps.

Sean

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Then there was the google penguin/panda updates:-

As the creatures say its all black and white, google is sick of people selling links, link farms etc etc

Google inparticular want everything to be natural and will penalise you heavily if you concentrate on back linking...I am not saying dont back link, but be careful and make sure they are natural, FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Gumtree etc etc

For most on this forum who concentrate on Local Business then I would not worry to much about back links...apart from social/forums/articles.
If you have a national website then the rules change a little and other things do come into play...but it takes a hell of alot more than back links to get you to page 1

If you are on page 1 then defo stick with what you are doing, you dont want to wake up in the morning and find yourself on page 12, all because you have back linked from a bad source.

@Nicole, what is your domain?

You can get your own, paste a link on ur fb page, get everyone you know to. Post a link in forums and anywhere you can

Literally is this it? All I do is paste my website address on other websites? Obviously sites that are relevant.

I'm sorry, I think I must be thick because this is the only bit that I understood from both posts.

Yep that will do you.

There are two types of back link "dofollow" & "nofollow"

Look at it like a voting system, "dofollow" links are a "Yes" and "nofollow" are a "No"

"nofollow" do not carry link juice but carries traffic, google will ignore "nofollow" backlinks and it will not effect you on the SERP, "Search Engine Results Page"

"dofollow" gives you link juice and passes down PR from the site your linked from and will effect SERP's

FB and a lot of other forums/social media have "nofollow" links as they want to wipe their hands of the link and have no relationship with it.
So basically when you write your web address in FB timeline it will be ignored by google but 10,000 people may see it and click on it.

To get "dofollow" links from FB then you have to start creating static html, iframe tabs etc

Twitter is almost the same, if you write your web address in the feed then this is a "nofollow"...But write it in your bio then this is a "dofollow"

The trouble with Backlinking is finding the places that have "dofollow" linking that are relevant to your business that look natural and have not been farmed, bought or any other black hat ways.

Is it as clear as mud yet, like mentioned if you are on page one without looking into back linking before then tread carefully, and look at other ways first.

I will keep using the word natural as this is what google want nowdays, google uses over 400 different criteria for ranking your website (if I knew them I would be writing this from the Maldives)

If you want a couple of other pointers where to look first to help climb a few places let me know I will give you some ideas of where to check and how to change things.
Do the simple things first before searching for decent places to backlink from.

:eek: Yep, clear as mud!

Thank you so much guys for trying, but I really think I should leave it alone and hope for the best, because I really don't understand it at all.

Jack has far more know how than me here, but a suggestion, if you do want to play, dont make lots of changes at once and compromise an already decent position. Jut make little changes and keep.note of the changes, so you can 'undo' if it goes pear shaped.

Good on you for asking for advice tho, and appreciating the importance of seo link building.

Yep that will do you.

You don't just want to do that, you want to back link key phrases

Look at it like a voting system, "dofollow" links are a "Yes" and "nofollow" are a "No"

Google doesn't always ignore nofollow, but they do expect to see some so that contributes to "natural linking"

FB and a lot of other forums/social media have "nofollow" links as they want to wipe their hands of the link and have no relationship with it.
So basically when you write your web address in FB timeline it will be ignored by google but 10,000 people may see it and click on it.

The more clicks to your site the better

Jack has far more know how than me here, but a suggestion, if you do want to play, dont make lots of changes at once and compromise an already decent position. Jut make little changes and keep.note of the changes, so you can 'undo' if it goes pear shaped.

good advice

You don't just want to do that, you want to back link key phrases

But do not go over the top with anchoring keywords to your website, what smooth means is instead of writing www.mybeautydomain

You would write an Article and it would look something like this:-

In the past I have been using " This Product " and has been very successful with customers at "My Nail Salon in Timbucktoo" we have decided to change to "An Other Product" and found it had this that and the other.

If you used the example above and anchored 3 times in 2 lines then your pushing your luck with search engine spamming...especially if it all goes to the same website

If I was to write a 500 word article I would probably anchor twice, and submit it in 5 different areas, then I would concentrate on other back linking methods for the next exercise, in other words don't submit 30 articles on the same day and keep anchoring keywords, again its not natural, and WILL cause more damage than good.

It's really quite interesting and involved is what I have learnt here. Thank you all for your time and efforts, I am probably going to leave it alone. I am registered with the distributors of my products, with my web address shown, so I think this is a good start for now?

Pretty much what I was going to write when I clicked this item on the forum.

Your ranking in Google is based on a couple of things, but inbound links from reputable sites are essentially a flag for Google to say "lots of people are talking about this site, so it must be interesting / reputable", so they'll bump you up the search results.

There's a number of ways to start getting inbound links, but really the key method is to make your website useful and interesting. If it's a good website that people find interesting, they'll (hopefully) link to it to show others.

Nicole. Not sure if it will work,.but dont see why not.

Why not post a link here fir us to.see your site. ;-) see whats happene- a nice simple painfree.link lol

Nicole. Not sure if it will work,.but dont see why not.

Why not post a link here fir us to.see your site. ;-) see whats happene- a nice simple painfree.link lol

They are "nofollow"

Latest posts

Back