Dying white roots to match dyed hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJames_89

Reaction score
I'm working with my mom to find a uniform color that she likes. She has been dying her white roots herself for years and has been a Level 5 for 15+ years. She wants to go lighter so her grow out is less obvious so our goal is a Level 6 or 7. She pulls red with dye.

We ideally want to be a Wella KP 6/1.

We are starting with a bleach bath to lift her from a Level 5 to start. Should we tone with Wella color touch or use KP for the previously dyed ends? For CT I was thinking about mixing 6/71 and 7/89 and I don't even know what I would use in KP.

Any advice on colors? Especially for achieving uniform color and neutralizing the warmth?

Thank you so much!

I'm working with my mom to find a uniform color that she likes. She has been dying her white roots herself for years and has been a Level 5 for 15+ years. She wants to go lighter so her grow out is less obvious so our goal is a Level 6 or 7. She pulls red with dye.

We ideally want to be a Wella KP 6/1.

We are starting with a bleach bath to lift her from a Level 5 to start. Should we tone with Wella color touch or use KP for the previously dyed ends? For CT I was thinking about mixing 6/71 and 7/89 and I don't even know what I would use in KP.

Any advice on colors? Especially for achieving uniform color and neutralizing the warmth?

Thank you so much!
Hi lovely,

does she have much colour build up at the ends? I’m sure you've made her aware that it’s gonna be a bit of a task, especially if she throws out red naturally! Is she adamant she wants the ash? Just my opinion but I’m not a fan of 6/1 in general, I think it can look quite muddy and often when I’ve used it on an older client it’s actually aged them more... if I were doing it I’d probably be inclined to go slightly warmer just so as not to wash her out. Like I say though just my opinion! Colour touch would definitely be what I would use to tone as u may find kp slides and goes wishy washy quite quickly. Not sure if I might have a bit warmer colours too but probably just because I’m a bit of a chicken haha! I think you’ll be ok with the 6/71 as the brunette tone is lovely I’ve not used the 7/89 though, although I’ve used 10/89 to tone blonde and it’s very cool x

Hi lovely,

does she have much colour build up at the ends? I’m sure you've made her aware that it’s gonna be a bit of a task, especially if she throws out red naturally! Is she adamant she wants the ash? Just my opinion but I’m not a fan of 6/1 in general, I think it can look quite muddy and often when I’ve used it on an older client it’s actually aged them more... if I were doing it I’d probably be inclined to go slightly warmer just so as not to wash her out. Like I say though just my opinion! Colour touch would definitely be what I would use to tone as u may find kp slides and goes wishy washy quite quickly. Not sure if I might have a bit warmer colours too but probably just because I’m a bit of a chicken haha! I think you’ll be ok with the 6/71 as the brunette tone is lovely I’ve not used the 7/89 though, although I’ve used 10/89 to tone blonde and it’s very cool x

She has a little bit of build up, but nothing crazy. She doesn't want to be ash as much as she just doesn't want to be so warm lol. She would be thrilled with a final color that's neutral. And that is so good to know that you feel ash ages!
I also love the 6/71, I'm just worried that it won't tone out all of the orange that's going to be in her hair.
Do you think kp 6/71 or 6/0 on her white roots would blend nicely into ct 7/71 + 7/89 on the length of her hair?
My hang up is blending the color from her roots into the rest of her hair. Will the bleach washed hair pick up the level 6 as a true 6 or will it be slightly darker? Should i use a 6 or 7 on her ends?
Sorry for all the questions!

I think it’s gonna be a bit of a see what happens situation to be honest, I know it’s your mum so you can tell her she’ll have to put up with what she gets whilst u figure it out lol but I always warn clients that I can’t guarantee how long it’ll take to get the outcome they want and also that they may have to put up with colour they’re not crazy about for a while too! That way you cover yourself! I’m sure ur mum will understand that anyway. Once you’ve rinsed the bleach bath off I would do a test cutting before putting the ct on, I know it’ll mean u having to get a few different tubes of colour but it’s better to be safe I think. At least that way you’ll have a better idea of the depth you’ll be left with. I’d def do 6/0 on the root so it covers properly and I would probably say the 7 would blend. The only thing with going a shade down is it may fade quickly but as we know it’s easier to go darker than lighter so maybe go in with 7 and go for 6 if you feel u need to.
All this is just what I’d do hun, I’m sure there are colour techs with more knowledge that me but if ur mum was in my chair that’s the process I’d follow xx

Would she consider some fine highlights just through the parting and around the face? Obviously once you have the base u want! Just to break it up and bit and give it some lift?

Have you thought of mixing a 5 & 6 base together to cover r/g this time , 6 next time, 6&7 the time after that & so on, until you reach the desired shade? It requires a little patience but, with a few highlights woven through I have found this has produced some nice results on grey clients wishing to have a less obvious r/g. It doesn't compromise the condition of the hair either. The intense KP shades cover grey well but I find they are darker (so a 77/0 looks likes a 6).

If you want to achieve a natural ash then the colour touch 1 part 6/71 + 2parts 7/89 will be perfect.
To match the roots to this I'd then use 2 parts kp 6/0+ 1 part 7/18 for the roots. To further lighten it you could do a series of babylights and then tone it, and gradually lighten the root colour. A solid colour I feel can still look quite harsh. I agree with @lalalaurz that sometimes Ash can be aging. I also feel that gold/ warm looks way too artificial. Natural, natural ash or natural gold is always a much more flattering look.

I think it’s gonna be a bit of a see what happens situation to be honest, I know it’s your mum so you can tell her she’ll have to put up with what she gets whilst u figure it out lol but I always warn clients that I can’t guarantee how long it’ll take to get the outcome they want and also that they may have to put up with colour they’re not crazy about for a while too! That way you cover yourself! I’m sure ur mum will understand that anyway. Once you’ve rinsed the bleach bath off I would do a test cutting before putting the ct on, I know it’ll mean u having to get a few different tubes of colour but it’s better to be safe I think. At least that way you’ll have a better idea of the depth you’ll be left with. I’d def do 6/0 on the root so it covers properly and I would probably say the 7 would blend. The only thing with going a shade down is it may fade quickly but as we know it’s easier to go darker than lighter so maybe go in with 7 and go for 6 if you feel u need to.
All this is just what I’d do hun, I’m sure there are colour techs with more knowledge that me but if ur mum was in my chair that’s the process I’d follow xx

She is aware that it's going to be a hair journey, so she's been warned! haha. I'm not expecting it to be her ideal color after the first go.
And highlights are on the list! Just not first priority.
Thank you so much for all of your input!!

If you want to achieve a natural ash then the colour touch 1 part 6/71 + 2parts 7/89 will be perfect.
To match the roots to this I'd then use 2 parts kp 6/0+ 1 part 7/18 for the roots. To further lighten it you could do a series of babylights and then tone it, and gradually lighten the root colour. A solid colour I feel can still look quite harsh. I agree with @lalalaurz that sometimes Ash can be aging. I also feel that gold/ warm looks way too artificial. Natural, natural ash or natural gold is always a much more flattering look.

These colour combinations are exactly what I was looking for! I also agree that she'll need some highlights to soften everything. Great advice.
Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back