E-files?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi I do a lot of pedicures and when I do the older ladies I find that their nails are so thick I struggle to cut them. They also want me to file the top of them to thin them down. I'm considering buying an electric file but don't do acylics or Gel nails so don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on one as I won't use it that often. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks in advance.

It’s hard to say what a less expensive option would be in efiling. It’s in my experience more important to put some money into a good quality machine so you get more stable use out of it. Ive tried cheaper options and find it can do more damage then good. Maybe someone knows of a good deal?

I have the KUPA passport I believe it’s called and love it. I got mine at a trade show for a great price. Look for an up and coming show near you and you might find a good deal.

Also I see you want to use the file to thin down toenails. I would suggest you look into training for this at the same time. There are many things that can go wrong when you thin down toenails, especially on older clients so just a word of caution. I have trained with a podiatrist and would 90% of the time send my clients to a licensed podiatrist to have the thinned down instead of attempting it myself even though I am trained. You make sure that they get looked after by a medical professional first and that it’s safe for you to do your cosmetic treatment on them.

Look around in your area for one to corporate with. You can even gain new clients from that because podiatrists are always looking for cosmetic pedicurists to send clients to.

Hope you figure it out [emoji4]

Saeyang K35 cube.

I wouldn’t consider using an efile until you’ve undertaken training.
However I trained with nsi and we were told not to file the nail plate. I think this is more of a podiatrist treatment

Another here with the Saeyang K35 and it's great.

You can't file the top of the nails to thin them down. Its extremely unhealthy for the client. The nail isn't made up of the same material. The top layer is different from the middle and the middle and different from the bottom.

Basically, you can use a file to shorten the nail but you cannot thin them out from the top. The dust from these nails are also very unhealthy because they carry bacteria.

Google up BCI because they will be the best for training, they veer more towards podiatry training.

As a person ages, nails may become thinner. Thick nails is usually a fungal condition. Imagine having a roll of tissue and then you place it in water, it expands. This is what happens with keratin when the fungus consumes it. I wouldn't file the surface of the nail - an efile can cause a lot of damage if you are untrained to use it- and instead, I would refer this person to a GP.

Latest posts

Back