E-mails to your clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divine h & b

Reaction score
How many of you take email address' and email your clients do you find it an effect way of marketing?

We always take an email address (most people have one) and send out a newsletter each month. There is usually a special offer contained in the newsletter and we have an excellent take up rate so it does work.

Take care, MrsMac

ps we use Mailchimp to send out the newsletter, it's dead easy :)

I had a small box on my website for people who are interested to get special offers etc. to be the first to know. I email all these clients the day before I put an offer on So they get priority appointments. :)

I take down email addresses and also use them for promos etc I find it works really well for me and I tend to get a surge of appointments just after an email has been sent out. I also find it reminds/prompts people that I'm here etc. It's unobtrusive so people can choose to unsubscribe or delete if not relevent though I do make clients aware that it will be for promos etc when taking their email addresses and no-ones objected yet! Hth x

Emails are still a really effective way of marketing, regardless of twitter and facebook etc.

As far as actually creating the emails themselves, I'd look at mailchimp and aweber as potential ways of sending out emails. It's easier to do than doing your own emails, you won't get your emails blocked, and you get good metrics as to how many people actually read your email etc.

If you're not already using some sort of software (*cough* salonlite *cough* :) ) to store your clients details, you can use mailchimp directly to collect details - there's an option to create a form on their site.

ive only just started taking email addresses as it wasnt on my record cards and i kept forgetting at the beginning!! definitely think its the way to go re marketing offers etc xx

I found this is the most crucial information to get from our clients, mobile and email address as our computer system allows us to automatically send Reminders, which has cut down on at least 80% of any no-shows, 'Thank you for coming' 'Happy Birthday' and pro-active messages if they have not been into the salon for a while.

I also do loads of marketing from the system as I can target specific groups (ie. those who had a specific treatment) directly and also on quieter days send immediate 'special offers' through if they come on that day... would not be without it....

Last edited by a moderator:
I use mailchimp for emails and do a weekly email. It really works for us.
I use text message marketing quite sparingly as it is more expensive as we have a huge database.

I use mailchimp for emails and do a weekly email. It really works for us.
I use text message marketing quite sparingly as it is more expensive as we have a huge database.

excuse me for being thick, but what is mailchimp?

Email Marketing and Email List Manager | MailChimp

It basically manages your email marketing for you. You create 'lists' of who you want to send things to, create your email, and Mailchimp sorts out the sending and tracking. It's nice and simple, and (up to a point) free, so it's proving quite popular it seems.

ooh thank you. out of interest, is it very expensive after it's not free? thanks x

ooh thank you. out of interest, is it very expensive after it's not free? thanks x

I've never yet managed to go over the free quota - they're fairly generous with how many people you can have on lists - but I don't think it's particularly expensive. From having a quick dig around their site, their pricing plans are here;

Pricing | MailChimp

I can't recommend Mail Chimp enough, I personally use it for all my businesses and also (of course) design for people who don't have the time or inclination to do it themselves.

Here's an example of one I've done for someone.

There are certain legal limtations to sending emails out though, so it's best to do your homework with regards to that as well.

My biggest advice with regards to email marketing would be to really concentrate on the size and quality of your email list BEFORE you do anything else.

Make a concerted effort to "harvest" addresses from people, either in your salon, as part of any consultation processes and on your website too.

This will kill two birds with one stone.

1. You have to have people "opt in" to getting mails from you.
2. An email marketing campaign is only as strong as the list it's based on, if its being sent to a low-numbered list with half the email addresses being wrong...then its pretty much a waste of time!

Just bumping this thread up again !
I have signed up to mail chimp, but that's as far as I have got, as I read it you can only add people to your list who have opted into your emails via your website ?
I have all my clients emails ( I ask for them on there consultation sheet ) and then transfer on to my email contacts (hotmail)
How do I transfer them from hotmail to mail chimp ?
I am not very technical !
HELP ....pretty please !

JoJo x

Just bumping this thread up again !
I have signed up to mail chimp, but that's as far as I have got, as I read it you can only add people to your list who have opted into your emails via your website ?
I have all my clients emails ( I ask for them on there consultation sheet ) and then transfer on to my email contacts (hotmail)
How do I transfer them from hotmail to mail chimp ?
I am not very technical !
HELP ....pretty please !

JoJo x

You can upload an excel spreadsheet as a mailing list, you simply cut and paste them in.

You're allowed to email/contact anyone who has had dealings with your company/business. This is called a "soft" opt-in and its lawful.

You're not allowed to just "harvest" emails and send them and you're not allowed to purchase lists to send to people either.

The good thing with MailChimp is that it'll automatically give people the option to unsub- which you have to do.

p.s. I used to do ONLY email marketing as a designer when I left Uni....It's an effective way of doing things, but there are laws involved and obviously your design AND message have to be good or its a waste of time.

Latest posts

Back