Ear piercing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimo9

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just about to open a small salon offering tanning (spray tans and sunbeds) and nails, and wondered what you all thought about ear piercing. I'm just about to buy the kit and am being trained on Monday but need to know if it's generally profitable. Claire's Accessories in town seem to charge quite a bit depending on the earrings you choose so it seems to be worthwhile and as no-one else does it nearby I thought I'd give it a go. All opinions would be welcomed. :?:

Ooh and forgot to ask if you think it's safe to pierce cartillege with the 'normal' gun that you get with the Caflon kit!

I think it can be fairly popular, but don't forget that you need to get a license from your local council before you can add it to your treatment list.

I'm not sure about the cartilage bit xx

Great advice thanks! Had no idea about the licence :irked: I'll check it out now x

Yes, you definitely need a licence with your council.

You should also check your insurance. A lot of insurance covers ear lobe piercing, but needs something extra to cover piercing of any other area, so you might have to update it xx

When you do your Caflon training the trainer will show you how to pierce the cartilage at the top of the ear 😊

I have friends who own a tattoo shop and offer piercing. Apparently the cartilage shouldnt be pierced with a gun and only a needle. I'm not 100% sure why so maybe you should find this out before going ahead.
Fab training with Caflon though, I did mine years ago. :)

Piercing cartilage with a gun can cause the cartlilage to shatter so would advice a needle x

I have friends who own a tattoo shop and offer piercing. Apparently the cartilage shouldnt be pierced with a gun and only a needle. I'm not 100% sure why so maybe you should find this out before going ahead.
Fab training with Caflon though, I did mine years ago. :)

Thanks guys....really helpful! And yes Dinky I had heard this before. I'll wait to see what the training flags up re cartilage next week. Can't see a reason for not doing it anyway but may just stick to lobes.

Where are you doing the training on Monday? In Hayes, as Im doing it too :)

I have been reading the book which comes with the gun kit, and it says you can (after obviously being taught) pierce the cartilidge but only certain places on the ear.

No I'm going to Sally's in Leeds :sad:. Yep I've read the same in the book but not sure what to think. Monday's training will sort it I'm sure.

i'd like to know how many ppl doing ear piercing actually license themselves with their council...

i paid £100 to register myself and another £100 to register the business... in hindsight i wouldnt have bothered with ear piercing at all.

a girls opened a beauty room down the road from me and seems to be doing various day courses to make herself a beauty therapist (dont get me started) and i see shes now doin ear piercing for less than £10, shes not licensed and i just wish the council checked up on these things.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

i'd like to know how many ppl doing ear piercing actually license themselves with their council...

i paid £100 to register myself and another £100 to register the business... in hindsight i wouldnt have bothered with ear piercing at all.

a girls opened a beauty room down the road from me and seems to be doing various day courses to make herself a beauty therapist (dont get me started) and i see shes now doin ear piercing for less than £10, shes not licensed and i just wish the council checked up on these things.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

It's really expensive in my area, so i don't do it.

If i were you, i'd be tempted to inform the council. They will phone and let them know that they want to set up a health and safety appointment and while there ask to see their license.

I think a lot of people don't realise you need a license though xx

I rang to speak to my council and they said as I was mobile, I wouldn't need a licence to do ear piercing.

I did my Caflon training earlier this month.

I'm trained with Caflon in 2009 at Sally in Leytonstone.

Trainer said under no circumstances pierce anything other than ear lobe because 1) it's ALL we are insured for on the certificate and 2) we could do serious damage, so I'm very surprised a Caflon trainer would 'show' someone how to pierce ear cartilage.

Every council is different, but if you are mobile you do not need a licence as they cannot inspect every home you go to.

If you are home-based, you may need a an inspection and licence but every local council has its own rules.

If you are salon-based, you deffo will have an inspection and need a licence.

For cartilage, you'll need to qualify in second level piercing (ear-nose) or just go for a qualification in full body piercing.

Sorry to sound harsh but any professional in their right mind would know this.

You are piercing skin at high speed/pressure, it's dangerous in the wrong hands.

H x

Latest posts

Back