eBay trouble, can anyone advise?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I could really do with some advice here as I don't know how i should deal with this. I can see it turning a bit nasty.

I recently sold some black leather boots which I wrapped in bubble wrap to protect while in transit whilst being less bulky than a box. I sent them recorded delivery.

The buyer has contacted me today saying that they must have been somewhere hot whilst in transit because when they opened them inside the bubble wrap was a black tar like substance which has ruined the boots and subsequently ruined their trousers because they managed to get it on their trousers although have managed to get it off their hands.

They are asking me if the boots started off brown with a cork heel and what did I put on them...they are quality black leather boots from a decent make and didn't start off brown.

I really don't have a clue what to make of it.or how this can possibly have happened. I can see a claim for new trousers coming as well as a refund.

Any advice on what to do or where this might go? Thanks so much. I'm getting really wound up about it.

They can't claim compensation for trousers. What they can do is open a dispute with either eBay or Paypal if there not happy and you cannot sort it out between the 2 of you. Worst case they'll get there money back. It might be worth contacting courier service if the fault lies with them X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I would send a polite message to say they are genuine leather boots and this will not have happened. It's hard to tell on eBay what's true and what's not, not sure why she would get it on her trousers? Surely if you opened it and got your hands sticky you wouldn't get it near anything else

I had someone nearly open a claim against me because she said she didn't receive my item. I was in the middle of moving and couldn't find the tracking number. After weeks I tracked it down to her local post office because she hadn't bothered to ring them even though she would have had a card through her door. I asked them to keep it for her, contacted her and told her all of this .

2 weeks on she did the same thing again and told me it wasn't there and she wanted a refund.... Rang the sorting office and it was there the whole time she just didn't bother...

Moral of the story is you just don't know who these people are!! How soon after she revived the package did she message you? Have you got proof/pictures of the boots showing they are real leather or do you know what shop they came from?

Hi thanks for replying. i received the message same day she received them today)

Yes I know what shop but don't have the receipt or anything :(

Could i find myself forking out for new trousers? Bet they were designed ones too :rolleyes:

I have just requested photos. Thanks for your advice.

I would politely suggest they take the issue up with Royal Mail as they were packed in perfect condition when you posted them

Good idea for the photos. If they are from a decent shop and have the shops name on then she can't really dispute they are not genuine. Like said before she can't claim for trousers, it's not your fault she's messy lol! Worst case you will have to refund but in that case if maybe ask for her to send them back?! Incase she's taking the piss you can check they are deffo your boots?!

thank you your answers have made me feel a bit calmer :hug:

I tried to message asking for photos but ebay won't send the message because it included an email address.

How else can i ask for photos to be sent? Crazy. (or maybe its me) :(

Put a space in your email or write dot instead of .

Think she can upload a pic through private MSG on eBay,

Tell her to take it up with Royal Mail
How can boots melt? (In the uk in oct)
Blinking chancer!

If she's not happy tell her to post back recorded delivery once you receive them youl refund

Don't feel pressurised from her

Yes defiantly ask for a photo x

I know, it does seem odd. Whats MSG on ebay - is it just nomal messaging? Sorry bit of a technophone, its amazing i can manage to sell things on ebay at all with my computer know-how :rolleyes:

Just a thought... did you offer an option to include insurance in postage and packaging and did the buyer choose it or not? If they didn't and had the option they might not have a leg to stand on. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ah it seems you can attach photos now on ebay so I have just requested photos and we'll see.

Getting a bit tired of ebay tbh. Most things I have bought lately have been either the wrong size or faulty. Now problems selling too. I hope I wouldn't be held responsible for the trousers.

As a seller on ebay, its apparently down to me to take anything up with royal mail, as I posted it, so the contract is therefore between me and RM.

Thanks for all the replies. xxx

I know, it does seem odd. Whats MSG on ebay - is it just nomal messaging? Sorry bit of a technophone, its amazing i can manage to sell things on ebay at all with my computer know-how :rolleyes:

If you do what EmJ suggested just put,

'Joebloggs AT hotmail DOT COM'

I had a problem with a total chancer on ebay earlier this year and ebay did not back me up, give any advice that was relevant and left it going on longer and longer until my paypal account was suspended as a dispute was open with them. All i can say is be firm and try not let it get to a point where ebays involved as they always side with the buyer nowadays. And correct me if I'm wrong but i told my scammer to send back the item for a refund, but i read in ebays new terms and conditions recently you have to refund without the item being returned now?!
Alot of people just chance it and once you call there bluff they back off and you'll never hear from them again!

Alot of people just chance it and once you call there bluff they back off and you'll never hear from them again!

Totally agree with that. Had one this year too. I kindly told her if she was so unhappy I would come and collect the items and then issue a refund. She wasn't that bothered after all!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

And correct me if I'm wrong but i told my scammer to send back the item for a refund, but i read in ebays new terms and conditions recently you have to refund without the item being returned now?!
!

OMG!

I hope thats not correct (but fear it probably is :()

In that case one can never win really. Is my asking for photos going to make any difference then in that case? x

Oh eBay get on my nerves!
I had a right idiot not pay me for an item and then finally left a neutral comment once they had paid and received item saying 'disappointed' even though it was exactly as described. EBay just ignored me completely when I tired to object to it.
Buyers always have better protection. Best thing you can do is get images. Did you put no refunds? Because actually that means Jack all nowadays unfortunately. Claim it through royal mail if there is anything wrong with them and tell them to pay her the refund cause it'll be their fault.

Thing is, if you send recorded they tend to say there is something wrong with the item because they can't say they didn't receive it to get their money back....x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a problem with a lady on eBay 2 months ago. I sold her 24 nail art pens, sent them all in perfect packaging and the postage actually cost me a little bit more than what I had asked for because I didn't count the weight properly.

Anyway she opened a dispute telling me i had only sent her 12 pens?! Once I replied asking her to double check and about the extra cost in postage. She didn't reply at all. So the dispute was open for nearly 5 weeks, she ignored my messages and my paypal was suspended.

I contacted eBay everyday, once being a discussion with a online adviser. It actually worked in my favour being on the case everyday as eventually eBay dropped the case and lifted the suspension on my paypal.

The lady still never replied. Some people are just chancers and try anything on. I really don't understand how leather boots could melt?. Hope you get it sorted x

I have problems with a lady on eBay at the moment. She bought some pink nike blazers from me (brand new) in a size 6. When she received them she opened a case against me and said they were not as described, they were. Size 7. I couldn't believe it. I apologised and asked her to return them and I will refund her straight away.

3 weeks later I still hadnt received the trainers. Went into work yesterday and they were sitting on my desk. And yes they ARE a size 6. It says it on the box and inside the trainer! I called eBay and they advised me to message her to try and sort it out myself, but the case closes on the 8th and if she calls them between now and then to say she has returned them, she gets her money back! So many people haven't paid recently aswell! Hope you get it sorted x

Latest posts

Back