Eczema

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this:

http://www.solgaronline.co.uk/Solgar-Omega-Advanced-Blend-211-150ml_p_558.html

It isnt an instant fix but my daughter who has suffered with nasty eczema all her life says it helps. I did extensive research in the winter when it was really bad (eases in the summer) and this was the result of many hours on the internet. It isnt cheap and may not work for everybody but it works from the inside and you aren't just rubbing creams on the problem but actually trying to eradicate it. You also need to eat well. No refined sugar, brown bread, plenty of fruit and vegetables, organic if you can afford it. I also had her tested for food intolerance and it flagged up a high intolerance to dairy so she now has soya milk which is widely available, lacto free cheese (I get it from tesco) etc. She was also intolerant to oats (the range of Aveeno creams has oats in it so that was a big no no- we didn't realise and had been recommended this so she was happily using it night and day making the problem worse and worse!), and a slight intolerance to other things so that could be worth thinking about if you are at the end of your tether. Also, try to wear cotton next to your skin, especially at night whenyou may overheat, and obviouslyuse non bio washing products, avoiding fabric conditioner if possible - I find the organic ranges best. If you find yourself scratching at night, wear cotton gloves. An antihistamine also helps relieve the itch.

These things definitely helped her because when she lapses, as teenagers do, or forgets to take the oil for any length of time, it recurs to some degree. I can sympathise with you as I have seen her wake up red raw from scratching - so I hope this helps in some way. By all means visit the Doctor for bath oil, shower creams and hydrocortisone cream. These are all used in conjunction with the natural remedies above when it flares up.

Sorry to waffle on, but I thought I would pass on what we've found helpful and if it helps you or anybody else who reads this then it was worth it.

CeeCee xx

I'm heading to the doctors on Tuesday and am going to ask for an allergy test as there is something triggering it that I can't find. I've had enough, it's flared up from the start of the year and hasn't settled one bit and that's with steroid creams :(

I've had eczema ever since I started hairdressing many moons ago, it was so bad that I had to give up. My hands were constantly cracked and bleeding, my finger nails even grew bumpy and very ridged.

I stopped hairdressing about 11 years ago and it still flares up every now and again.

I always use gloves when cleaning and washing up at home.

Since I've taken up doing nails full time, it often attempts to get bad, but (and I know this sounds hugely cliché) Solar Oil really helps it.

I also try to mainly use products on my skin that are hypoallergenic and this kinda helps keep it at bay.

Do you mean apply solar oil to the eczema areas? As I have it all over my body

Do you mean apply solar oil to the eczema areas? As I have it all over my body

I apply it to the effected areas (which is mainly my hands)...but I'd imagine that would be a bit costly all over.

Why don't you try it on a small area to start with and see if it works for you?

I'm heading to the doctors on Tuesday and am going to ask for an allergy test as there is something triggering it that I can't find. I've had enough, it's flared up from the start of the year and hasn't settled one bit and that's with steroid creams :(

If the steroids aren't helping then it definitely sounds to me like you're intolerant to something. Don't just let them palm you off with higher % steroid but get an intolerance test done. The oil I recommended is definitely worth trying.
Xx

If the steroids aren't helping then it definitely sounds to me like you're intolerant to something. Don't just let them palm you off with higher % steroid but get an intolerance test done. The oil I recommended is definitely worth trying.
Xx

Well I have it in my head I'm not getting another steroid cream so he may come up with something else. I really do think its something inside I'm missing or else getting too much of

I did her daily. I swear immediately eased. Redness went down. Only the smart price asda oats. Any oil will do as well just get lavender. Got mine from boots. Let me know how it goes. :hugs.xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had awful eczema since I was 3 months old, I've tried every cream in the book aswell as stays in hospital and nothing really worked. I eventually grew out of it when i was about 14.
My skin was great until I turned 28 last year and it starting flaring up more often which is annoying after being clear of it. I've used steriod creams my whole life and I haven't found my skin to be damaged really. I plaster my face in Elecon when it flares up and my skin is completely fine on my face. When I get a flare up I'll sometimes go for a few 6 minute sunbeds, not the best, but the UV light helps or go swimming because for some reason chlorine helps mine.

I was told by my mil to cut out cows milk and to be honest I thought it wouldn't work but I gave it a try anyway. And 12 months later ive only had a couple of minor bouts when I've had cups of tea at work or friends made with cows milk.

Honestly try it because it really has worked for me. You need to give it a few months trial though as its not going to just disappear over night xxx

I was told by my mil to cut out cows milk and to be honest I thought it wouldn't work but I gave it a try anyway. And 12 months later ive only had a couple of minor bouts when I've had cups of tea at work or friends made with cows milk.

Honestly try it because it really has worked for me. You need to give it a few months trial though as its not going to just disappear over night xxx

Did you switch to goats milk?

A gluten and dairy free diet and eve taylor moisturizing body butter work wonders. google 'gluten and eczema'. You can put the body butter on without it stinging even when you have been scratching. Its the first thing iv found ever that keeps my skin moist and cool. Since i went totally gluten free its never as bad as it used to be but it still tries to pop up if im stressed or hormonal.
If you itch at night take a antihistamine an hour before bed, use cetirizine hydrochloride cos these have the same active ingredient as sleeping tablets...... knocks you out and stops you itching!

Last edited:
Aw I feel your pain. I've have it most if my life all over my body so bad that it hurts to have clothes over my skin. I e tried various creams pills and nothing really works tbh. I now have it all over both hands and wrist, spots on my face and elbows. I have been to the dermatologist and highly recommend it as it cleared it up for 1 whole year then slowing appeared on my hands. It's hard being a therapist doing massage as I'm worried the client can feel my ruff skin and when it weeps I still have to massage with them! I went to the doctors 2 months ago to go see the dermotolagist again and still waiting and now having to go private to save me from leaving or losing my job. It's a horrible skin condition and I just want to cry sometimes coz nothing works. I was told after having many material samples on my back that its stress related! But I have tried to cut out diary which helped but not enough for it to clear up. Light treatment works for me but maybe see if they can refer you to the skin clinic as they know better solutions

Xx

I too suffer from eczema, especially when I do hair. It was so bad that I had to give up hairdressing. The only thing that would relieve the itching, burning and everything else associated with eczema was hemorrhoid cream. I know, it's dumb, but it works!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek mobile app

I've suffered with it from an early age. Been to doctors numerous of times. They always give me bath stuff steroid cream etc. It meber seems to work the only thing thay clears it up for me is regular sunbed use it just clears it up! X

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek mobile app

E45 do a bath emollient which really helps! I get flare ups from time to time although not often thankfully! But honestly the bath emollient works wonderfully, after your bath air dry for just two mins max then smother yourself in e45 cream or a double base cream from docs, aveeno is great too, also limit baths to fifteen mins or less and keep water lukewarm not too hot or it will dry your skin even more....good luck hunni hope it goes away soon!! Xxx

When i said about diet i was presuming it wasnt contact eczema which isnt due to diet its something thats touching your skin. If you have been reading the Daily mail lately you will know the chemical that is causing awful skin reactions is methylisothiazolinone. Its a preservative and its in loads of things. I did an experiment on myself, i put a footcream with it in on one arm and a handcream without it in on the other...... within 30mins i had 2 water blisters on the arm with footcream on! Iv had to change most of my skincare and shampoo and conditioner but its worth it.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-skin-Chemicals-cosmetics-trigger-severe-alle

Last edited:
Have heard from multiple people that hemp products work wonders as well as Argan oil.

My daughter started with eczema just after christmas & it was getting us all down because it got so bad, i dont know if she has grown out of it as kids do but it has almost cleared up now and im convinced it was chocolate! I used to go to the shops & get a bag of dairy milk buttons or malteasers and eat loads, i recently started slimming world so iv not bought any chocolate in about 2 months & her skin cleared up. We put 2 & 2 together & i think it might be that! I was thinking it was a food intolerance problem, she still has a bit behind her knees that flares up a bit but it almost back to normal.....maybe try cutting things out of your diet & seeing if that helps!?

http://www.purepotions.co.uk/

I suffered from eczema on and off for years and started using pure potions a few years ago and not had a flare up since - all natural ingredients and a really nice, friendly company too.

found this which might help if its contact eczema. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alle...one-and-Chloroisothiazolinone/307128722674171
Spend time finding the cause dont just treat the symptoms. Iv had eczema since I was 12. I have it controlled better now than ever before because iv realised im delicate on the inside and the outside. my eczema is aggrivated by what i put on my skin and what i eat and stress and its hormonal. Now i only get it just before my period.
In the beauty and hair industry we work with chemicals all day so we need to look after ourselves or it is a short career.

my son has it and over the last few years completely cleared he goes swimming drinks plenty of milk eats cheese and the doctors had told me they would make it worse! i have let him do these for years as all the creams the dermatologist gave him cut his skin open and he hated it bein put on over the pain. E45 soap and Oilatum body washes and handsoaps have been a godsend!

Latest posts

Back