elecrolysis vs laser hair removal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettylady

Reaction score
which am i better off doing? i know the laser will take fewer sessions, any one know roughly how many sessions for an upper lip?

does laser hurt? or will it scar?

scarring/buring are my main concerns, obv i would go to the best place, like the harley medical centre, as i wouldnt trust anyone else...

thanks in advance for any comments...

I can only speak from personal experience with laser. I have PCOS and have had laser on 1/2 my face (basically from my top lip to the base of my neck - just think bearded lady) and have found it absolutely fantastic. After 3 sessions it pretty much got rid of 3/4 of the hair. That was over 12 months ago. I'm going to go and have another 1 or 2 sessions done to tidy up a few straglers.

i was told that u have to shave the har off between sessions and that it doesnt always work..?
can i ask if it hurt, and also how much it cost u? thanks

I can't answer your last questions, but to your original question I would say this:

Electrolysis treats each hair individually. If you have a large number of hairs, such as an entire upper lip, it's going to take an awful long time to treat it by electrolysis and you may be better in the long run going for laser. If it's just a few hairs, you will get on much better with electrolysis.

That is not to say that electrolysis won't work but it will take much longer to get the desired results than laser which can treat the entire area with each session.

Now I may be wrong, but I am sure I read an article once, that said they could not prove if laser did any damage or not to the lower layers of your skin??

Anyone else heard this?

Becki xx

i was told that u have to shave the har off between sessions and that it doesnt always work..?
can i ask if it hurt, and also how much it cost u? thanks
Yep, you can shave if you want to get rid of any hair breaking the surface of the skin but you can't wax or bleach. The therapist will shave the area before lasering if the hair is a bit long, the closer to skin level the better it works as the laser is attracted to the colour of the hair.

When you get laser, the hair doesn't just fall out straight away, it makes it's way out over a couple of weeks, hence the need for shaving as it continues to make its way out through the skin.

Laser works on the principle that the laser is attracted to the colour of the hair, so thats why you're not allowed to bleach the hair. The darker the hair the better it works. Usually it won't work on fair hair.

I'd been waxing for about 12 years so for me to get the laser done, there was hardly any pain at all. They say to expect it to feel like you're being flicked with a rubber band. Also, the more hair you have in one section, the bigger the sting. So for me, I had quite a bit more hair on my chin so that was the spot that hurt the most, but as I said, it's like being flicked with a rubber band.

For me to get half face it was $120 per session. I had a free consultation before hand and could decide whether I wanted to proceed or not. I had 4 sessions so it cost me $480 which to me is nothing when it comes to not having to worry about being a bearded lady which is more damaging to your self esteem.

I'm going to get another 1-2 sessions to clear up the last of the hair, especially on my chin which was the worst area for me. I had my first treatment about 18 months ago. I have been getting my PCOS looked into by Drs recently and they have all said to me 'but you don't have facial hair' which is one of the key tell tale signs of PCOS. So even Drs can't tell I used to have a beard.:green:

BTW, I had IPL or Intense Pulsed Light laser done. If you decide to go ahead, check what laser technique they use. I can only recommend IPL.

Also, they say that it can make your skin red and bumpy after the treatment, but I didn't have any of that.

I've always said, if I win lotto, I would have my armpits, full leg and brazilian done too. I only have good things to say about it.

For me to get half face it was $120 per session. I had a free consultation before hand and could decide whether I wanted to proceed or not. I had 4 sessions so it cost me $480 which to me is nothing when it comes to not having to worry about being a bearded lady which is more damaging to your self esteem.

I'm going to get another 1-2 sessions to clear up the last of the hair, especially on my chin which was the worst area for me. I had my first treatment about 18 months ago. I have been getting my PCOS looked into by Drs recently and they have all said to me 'but you don't have facial hair' which is one of the key tell tale signs of PCOS. So even Drs can't tell I used to have a beard.:green:

In the UK, some salons offer a 50% reduction in the cost of the treatment if you have a letter from your doctor stating that you have PCOS. Might be helpful to someone looking into this kind of treatment. :)

Latest posts

Back