Electric nail files, do I or don't I?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannahKate

Reaction score
helloooo!
I'm deciding wether to buy an e file/nail drill today.
I was always taught that you don't need them, you can do anything a drill can do with a 150/180 file just takes a bit longer but it's safer?
However, I've begun offering acrylics now and I really would like to be able to sand a bit of the thickness down before soaking in acetone, surely that won't cause too much damage? (Dependant on using it carefully of course)
Are they honestly unnecessary? I just think acrylic removal would be ok with one.
I just have my trainers words in my head that they're dangerous and you don't need them!

Any info hugely appreciated :)

You need specific training for this, as they can be dangerous in the wrong hands, even if you're careful.

I've been doing nails 13 years and have never used one, I've never felt the need.

If all you're thinking of using it for is acrylic removals then I wouldn't bother. I doubt I even do one soak off a week. It's mostly infills, or shellac, or both. you don't soak off that often on the whole.

I've been doing nails 13 years and have never used one, I've never felt the need.

If all you're thinking of using it for is acrylic removals then I wouldn't bother. I doubt I even do one soak off a week. It's mostly infills, or shellac, or both. you don't soak off that often on the whole.
Oh ok! Ive always been pretty wary of them, and a bit reluctant to use one (really bad experience when someone drilled my nail plate through to the nail bed years ago) but lots of the girls Ive done acrylics on have asked if I can remove them too when they want to have gel polish etc, so what do you think is the best acrylic removal method? I know tyou can soak in acetone and gradually scape the melted acrylic off bit by bit but this takes sooooo long! :)

You can use a coarse file to reduce the stress area before soaking.
You can warm your acetone by placing the bottle in a jug of pretty warm but not red hot water, it will work quicker. DO NOT use a microwave it will explode (sorry felt duty bound to put that) and remember acetone expands when warm so must not be a full bottle

I prefer to use an acetone soaked pad and wrap using foils to keep heat in, shiny side in

If you have a heat lamp like ultra violet etc you can direct that onto the hands or place a hot wheat bag over the hands and nails to speed up the process

With the foil method it's easy to unwrap one by one without disturbing the others

Hope this helps a bit x

You can use a coarse file to reduce the stress area before soaking.
You can warm your acetone by placing the bottle in a jug of pretty warm but not red hot water, it will work quicker. DO NOT use a microwave it will explode (sorry felt duty bound to put that) and remember acetone expands when warm so must not be a full bottle

I prefer to use an acetone soaked pad and wrap using foils to keep heat in, shiny side in

If you have a heat lamp like ultra violet etc you can direct that onto the hands or place a hot wheat bag over the hands and nails to speed up the process

With the foil method it's easy to unwrap one by one without disturbing the others

Hope this helps a bit x
Thanks so much, I will be removing some Saturday morning so I'll try warming it first :)
I have some of those cuccio wrap pink rubber cap things if you know what I mean? So I will maybe try those too

Hi I've always been against e-files, until recently. I have used one to remove bulk from nail on an infill and it dramatically reduces time. Take away bulk then hand file the rest. I couldn't go back.

I'm also wanting to get one for infills, all of my clients have gel on top of their acrylics and I dread infills having to file it off then start on the acrylic too.
I don't think their all that bad as long as you've been trained with them, a lot of clients see them as bad though because of NSS salons.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're wanting to stick to hand filing, heating the acetone absolutely makes quicker work of soak offs. I use two glass bowls with boiled water in between and also usually change the water out again half way through. (The glass also helps me to see how the breakdown of the acrylic is progressing)

Re e-filing, I made sure to do a separate e-file course that focused solely on e-filing under professional supervision and then put a tonne of practice in on my practice hand - which I highly recommend investing in before e-filing on others and for building confidence.
I also highly recommend starting off with a safety bit (rounded smooth tip) for use around the cuticle area and these are great for quick gel polish removal too

I also couldn't go back to hand-filing now that I have slowly worked my way up to transitioning over as it cuts down my acrylic appointment times by up to 30 minutes :)

I purchased a kupa efile and trained with nsi. I wouldn't be without mine now. The majority of my appointments are infills/rebalances but I work mainly with acrylic so need to remove a lot for a new design.
I'd recommend buying the best you can afford as the difference between the budget and more expensive ones is like night and day. No vibration which makes it easier and safer for you to use and more comfortable for your client.
I'd also recommend a ceramic safety bit in fine and medium.
I use a medium carbide cone for debulking as it's so quick but I didn't feel confident enough using that initially.

Great advice thankyou guys!
I will continue hand filing for now as I can only really afford a lower end efile so thinking it's probably best to wait and get a better one in the future xx

Latest posts

Back