Employees using chargers at work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We allow staff o charge phones aslong as they are out of client view, we use them a lot during consultations to pull up images of previous work, help clients find pictures online and to take before and after pictures, I think for any advancing salon staff need to be able to use technology and it's not feasible to have an company iPad/tablet for each individual staff member to use.

It keeps staff happy and barely costs anything x

I guess it's the comment you made about thinking they are purposefully letting them rundown at home so they don't have to use their own electricity and can use your's. To be very honest, that sets off warning bells for me. The entire way you have framed it makes it sound like you are suspicious and slightly paranoid in your approach. Perhaps you've had some bad experiences to make you think in this manner.

Here is a link that will tell you the general cost, which is seriously nothing at all. http://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...ces-use-and-what-to-do-about-it/#427108c228eb

"If you fully drained and recharged your phone everyday, then over the course of a year you would have to feed it about 2,000 watt hours, or 2kWh. At an average price of 12 cents that means that your phone uses about one quarter's worth of electricity per year.7 Sep 2013"

I've run salons and worked for salons for many years. I have had the experience of working for employers that were very, very critical of their employees trying to "pull one over on them" or, "take advantage". I'm afraid the employee's morale dropped very quickly and many of them didn't stick around, as the atmosphere was was tense and certainly didn't lend itself to creativity and warmth. Just my 2 pence worth.

It winds me up something rotten when my self employed staff charge their phones at work. They shouldn't be on them anyway and when they don't offer to put money towards that's just disrespectful. We are trying to run a business and to save money. Tell them to charge their things at home. No excuses!x

It winds me up something rotten when my self employed staff charge their phones at work. They shouldn't be on them anyway and when they don't offer to put money towards that's just disrespectful. We are trying to run a business and to save money. Tell them to charge their things at home. No excuses!x
If they're self employed then surely their rents takes into account all the electric they could want?

Thank you for your replies. I feel though that they are not charging them at home and just bringing in to charge at work to everyday to save on there electricity. They are always on charge x

This made me laugh out loud. It is pretty minimal cost so whilst it's up to you on your policy,I can assure you that I never take my charger to work because of the cost.... Just because my phone doesn't ever last the day and I don't always charge it overnight, I'm always juggling stuff and don't remember to make sure I have 100%. If my boss asked me not to that'd be fair enough but it's defo not down to cost!!!!

If they're self employed then surely their rents takes into account all the electric they could want?
Not when we are the cheapest hair salon in our area and I'm a very reasonable person who doesn't make much of a profit when they use all my products, water, electric, space etc. It's just respect not to take the piss.

They don't pay rent either, we work on a percentage basis

Just out of interest, what is the issue with it? The cost, or the not asking? I just feel you should know so you could deal accordingly. My manager is amazing and reasonable, and never makes us feel anything other than really valued and equal, and we never, ever take the mick, we all give 100% and adore the salon and her. We're a leading salon in the area, she's opening up her 3rd this year. We also charge our phones in the staff room. Just my 2p worth.

If they're self employed you can't tell them that they shouldn't be on their phone..... they are their own boss

If would be really pissed if I couldn't charge my phone in my own beauty room. The rent includes the electricity and it costs next to nothing.
I don't think anyone charges their phone outside of work to save on the electricity cost.

Apparently it's 26p a year if you charge it from 0-100 every day....

I think this is a bit ott! I'm mobile, also do work from home. I'd never dream of saying to a customer sorry you can't use my electric, I'd be pretty pissed if my boss said I couldn't charge my phone at work either!

You're being over the top, charging their phone? They haven't done anything wrong if they're young they could just feel like their doing nothing wrong as its so normal to carry your chargers around and charge them wherever they go. They could be doing a lot worse , and I highly doubt their doing it to save on their own electricity as I guaranteed all their phones are charging all night next to their pillow at night

Thank you for all you're replies. It seems a divided subject but will give me something to think about x

I couldn't imagine saying to my staff don't charge your phones at work, I'd feel like a right witch lol... seriously little things like that will have a massive effect in demotivating your staff as I guarantee it's a slippery slope for them to then start slacking and creating a you vs them attitude.

I have chargers at work for my staff and clients that have all been pat tested.

This is the point I was trying to underscore in relation to my past experiences with rigid employers. Very specifically, I worked for a woman who I paid rent to for the use of my station, electricity included. I recall a time when she was insisting that I should never give any of our free samples to the customers for free! She insisted that "People who get things for free don't appreciate them and will then always take the mic!" That was really a turning point for me.

Further to that moment, she then made some comment that alluded to the fact that she was paying me, so I should not have an opinion. That is when the lightbulb came on and I said "No, actually I pay you. I pay you and I am taking my payment, my clientele and the rest of my sanity and going to a different salon!"

Think very carefully about how you approach your workers. Yes, of course, if they are horrible people and sub-par employees, ask them to leave. But please, please, do not create a division where there doesn't need to be one.

We all know just how hard it is to run a business and just how small the world can be when negative words get out by way of unhappy staff.

I couldn't imagine saying to my staff don't charge your phones at work, I'd feel like a right witch lol... seriously little things like that will have a massive effect in demotivating your staff as I guarantee it's a slippery slope for them to then start slacking and creating a you vs them attitude.

I have chargers at work for my staff and clients that have all been pat tested.

If they're self employed you can't tell them that they shouldn't be on their phone..... they are their own boss
They are in my salon and I've had so many clients tell me how unprofessional they look sat on their phones. I always take my clients thoughts on board. If they say it looks unprofessional then I won't have it

I think the original post was about the electricity used to charge the phones. There was nothing at all about professionalism or the staff being on their phones inappropriately. That is a whole different subject and one that most would agree with, in that no salon owner would want their staff out on the floor having non-work related conversations.

They are in my salon and I've had so many clients tell me how unprofessional they look sat on their phones. I always take my clients thoughts on board. If they say it looks unprofessional then I won't have it

Then you'd best employ. Absolutely NONE of your business.

I don't think anyone here said its professional for people to be on their phones at work, the issue was charging phones, presumably out of sight.

Latest posts

Back