Employees who smoke

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-smoker here.
Yes, no matter how much you cover up people that don't smoke will smell it. It is probably the worst of all smells and you can bet that the client who doesn't smoke wouldn't return.
Of all the people that I know, ex smokers will say the same thing: "I had no idea how bad it smells while I was smoking."
As many smokers are out there I can assume there are more non smokers (one can hope) so yes, it is detrimental to the business.
B.V.

When I lived with my mum because she's always smoked i didn't really notice the smell on anyone unless it was really strong. Since moving out however I've found I can smell it quite strongly on people. One of the girls at my work masked the smell quite well while the other smoker just walked around in a cloud of perfume. which was just as bad especially because you could still smell the smoke. I don't think smokers and non smokers will ever agree. I think it's up to the employer and the individuals circumstances because as some one already said unclean hair, B.O and other things are bigger issues. If you are a good stylist/nail tech/ beautician etc then majority of clients will return.

It's a disgusting habit and I'm amazed by the number of smokers here who seem to be ignoring what the non smokers are saying that spraying and freshening your breath actually just masks it it doesn't get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I might aswell just give up my business, my clients must hate me! Apparently you think I stink.

Oh no, wait... Actually, my clients rebook. I must be not bad as you think at hiding my disgusting habit.

Xx

Health and safety laws... Erm well its illegal not to abide by them. Hence they're LAWS so yes I do abide by them. I take it you don't lol

Rude, dont get me started.

No, i do not always go by health and safety as to me its applied bo##ocks. I refuse to live in a nanny state.

Do you ever look at a smoker and wonder why they do it?

What about your clients?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm guessing because it's an addiction... that's not really my problem though. It's theirs.

What about my clients?

Wuth regards health and safety, I don't want to live in a nanny state but nor do I want to get sued or closed down.

I'm guessing because it's an addiction... that's not really my problem though. It's theirs.

What about my clients?

I guess she means what about your clients who smoke?

Do your turn them away because they stink?

Xx

Well I might aswell just give up my business, my clients must hate me! Apparently you think I stink.

Oh no, wait... Actually, my clients rebook. I must be not bad as you think at hiding my disgusting habit.

Xx

Not everyone is as good at hiding it I assure you.

I guess she means what about your clients who smoke?

Do your turn them away because they stink?

Xx

I think that's a different kettle of fish really isn't it? They're paying me. Only I have to smell it.

I pay my staff. Every client in their column has to smell it.

I agree, when we were in college my friend gave me a facial and her fingers stunk of smoke. As a non smoker i can definately smell smoke of smokers

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm an ex smoker. When I did smoke I did all the usual; mints, mouthwash, perfume, hair spray, hands washed and sanitizer.
I couldn't smell cigs on me, so assumed nobody else could either, and as nobody ever came out and said it, I carried on with my little post-cig routine!

I quit 2 years ago (though I'm still an e cig user occasionally!) and my sense of smell has greatly improved - I can smell it on my hubby after he has had a crafty one hours before, doused himself with mints/deodrant etc! I can smell it on clients, and I can smell it on myself for hours after leaving the house of a smoking client - no matter how much perfume I spray!

I have nothing against smokers, I personally now cannot stand the smell, even though I still get the odd craving! But to all you smokers, take it from someone who knows - no matter how much you try to cover or mask the smell, a non smoker may still smell it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Of course it can't be masked, I'm also an ex smoker. But I just find these threads quite snobby; just my opinion.

If I am around smokers, lets say my friends at weekend & I'm smoking in my everyday clothes... I wont think oh I god, I stink but I know I do. Where as If I go to my Mums who doesn't smoke I can smell it on myself straight away.

Which is why I do my best of an e cig inbetween clients, & only on a lunch break or gap in my day will I get changed go outside, smoke, freshen up, wash hands, brush teeth, re do my make up, freshen my hair, all this is about 30 mins before I need to leave, then change back in to my uniform.

I couldn't just rock up to a clients house smoking a cig in my car & get out spritz perfume n think I the client wont notice.

Each to their own though.

Xx

Of course it can't be masked, I'm also an ex smoker. But I just find these threads quite snobby; just my opinion.

Why is it snobby? I have friends who smoke and family who smoke. I have nothing against smokers. I just don't see why I should risk losing business because of somebody else's bad habit? It's good business sense not snobbishness!

If I am around smokers, lets say my friends at weekend & I'm smoking in my everyday clothes... I wont think oh I god, I stink but I know I do. Where as If I go to my Mums who doesn't smoke I can smell it on myself straight away.

Which is why I do my best of an e cig inbetween clients, & only on a lunch break or gap in my day will I get changed go outside, smoke, freshen up, wash hands, brush teeth, re do my make up, freshen my hair, all this is about 30 mins before I need to leave, then change back in to my uniform.

I couldn't just rock up to a clients house smoking a cig in my car & get out spritz perfume n think I the client wont notice.

Each to their own though.

Xx

This is what the thread was about. You have a vested interest in your business. I have one in mine. I make it clear to Mt staff if they want to smoke they must change and clean afterwards.

That's what I was asking.

It turned into an attack on me for disliking the smell of smoke and not wanting it inflicted on my clients.

It does need to be managed and I was asking how other people manage it.

I have to agree with the other ex-smokers, you really don't realise how strong the smell is when you are a smoker.

Most clients won't tell you that you smell and if they are happy with the rest of your service then there is a good chance that they will return.

But that doesn't mean that they don't find the smell unpleasant and if you want your clients to have the most enjoyable time they can in the salon, then I think it is good to have some rules about smoking.

This is what the thread was about. You have a vested interest in your business. I have one in mine. I make it clear to Mt staff if they want to smoke they must change and clean afterwards.

That's what I was asking.

It turned into an attack on me for disliking the smell of smoke and not wanting it inflicted on my clients.

It does need to be managed and I was asking how other people manage it.

I know, which is why twice Ive explained how I deal with the situation personally.

Xx

I'm not a huge fan of having a treatment by a smoker that doesn't cover the smell well, shall we say. No problem with smokers it's their life, their decision and it's keeping the economy up with all the tax they put on it. That being said I wouldn't return to a therapist theta regaled of smoke any more then I would return to a therapist that had bad body hygiene, so I think it's all about how it's covered. Taking uniform off isn't a bad idea, my colleague does that and just has a vest top underneath if it's warm or puts a coat on if it's cold. Some people I used to work with you would never know they smoked, then one lady that rolled her own, I felt like it was imbedded in her hands and fingers and I had a espa facial with her, never again.

I really really get deeply offended by people saying smokers stink, and need to be managed. I don't drink alcohol, or eat junk food etc etc. I absolutely hate the smell of booze, and I cannot stand chewing gum or sloppy eating habits, it makes me sick.
Horrible words eh?
Can I suggest that people slating the smokers temper their language a little? You're being totally offensive.
I promise that you have habits that make others uncomfortable, but they're just too polite to tell you....

I am a non smoker. I have nothing against smokers but yes my staff believe they can spray themselves, wash their hands and eat mints etc but the smell is still there!

They think they are covering it up but as a non smoker I smell it straight away.

We even had a complaint from a client regarding a staff members fingers smelling.

I therefore discontinued smoke breaks. What people do in their lunch break is up to them but no further smoke breaks are permitted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back