Employers: How much notice do you ask for?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Just finalising my contract for my first employee. My solicitor has advised that I only put in 1 weeks worth of notice should they wish to leave, I had asked for 1 month, in case the employee tries to poach clients etc.

What are you experiences with this? I had wanted a month so that it allowed me to replace the therapist if needed, there will only be the 2 of us so if she was to leave with a weeks notice I would struggle to rearrange her client base!

Many Thanks

Zooks

Last edited:
Usually, if you pay weekly, then 1 week notice is standard.

Most salons put staff on garden leave immediately after they've given notice to lessen the risk of them poaching clients. If you go for 1 month, it means you will be paying her a month's wages to sit at home...and you'd still have to re-arrange the appointments.

Im not an employer but i would like to share my opinion, i think one week is better, if you give her a month that will allow her more time to poach clients etc. also IF it all goes horribly nasty you still have to work with her for 4 weeks. A week wouldn't be long enough to find someone else but there are always therapists looking for a job so it wouldn't take too long. Also with re arranging the clients if you was to explain the circumstances I'm sure they would understand. Good luck!

Notice is what they give if they want to leave I say 1 month if they poach clients Ect not working u can get rid when u like as breaching contract x

Also state there contract Is tempory on month to month basis for 6 months so see how works out x

Notice is what they give if they want to leave I say 1 month if they poach clients Ect not working u can get rid when u like as breaching contract x

I am aware of what notice is thankyou Beckylashes, I am simply asking what people tend to ask for when employing.

She will be on probation for 9 months, that should be plenty of time to figure out whether it works for us both.

Thankyou everyone for the input, I will be paying her monthly, would that mean usually you would give 1 months notice? I am debating 2 weeks, oh gosh, so much to think of.

In this trade unfortunatley i would say a weeks notice. Anymore gives them too much time to poach

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I didn't mean it like that I meant it as in if they do anything wrong u don't have to wait the notice to get rid of them like someone else had put I wasn't being funny you can get rid of them because they have gone against there contract

But if you put they have to work a month before giving notice to leave it covers you for them just leaving as I have had this happen before a month has been standard everywhere I have worked previously

And if they want to leave and only give a weeks notice how can you find someone that fast to cover the clients?

I think two weeks sounds fair. Let's face it, if she intends to poach clients, she will make sure that she has their details before hand.
Have you got rules in place concerning adding clients to personal FB page and will she have access to clients phone numbers and email address? I would think this is more important to keep an eye on.

Over here after a year we have to give people 2 weeks notice by law. Sometimes you have to be ready to let someone go and tell them that it's their last day today. I still pay them for the 2 weeks like the law instructs.
It depends on the situation and the person. Some people take things way too personal and become very bitter. Some are perfectly fine. I would expect as much time as I'm giving them
If I give them 2 weeks pay if I have to let them go, I expect them to give me 2 weeks when they have to leave.

Congratulations it's great that your thinking ahead having been in this situation my self I would say hire somebody sonnet rather then later and put them to the test part time and then when it comes closer full time. But it's a hard call getting the right stylist sometimes.

The best thing to do is phone ACAS, they will give you the clear guidelines that are legal for you to use. I would hate for you to get told this and that on here, go with one of those and it be legally wrong and you end up in trouble. Best hear it from the horses mouth in my opinion as I have been stung from accountants telling me how to do things when I should have gone to ACAS. They will tell you what is legally fair as if a poster on here is an employer or an employee they might have very different views of what they think is fair.

I'm not saying what any of these other posters is wrong, but rather than risk such an important contract, get the proper legal advice.

It's great to hear that you are taking on someone so business must be doing well. All the best xxx

The best thing to do is phone ACAS, they will give you the clear guidelines that are legal for you to use. I would hate for you to get told this and that on here, go with one of those and it be legally wrong and you end up in trouble. Best hear it from the horses mouth in my opinion as I have been stung from accountants telling me how to do things when I should have gone to ACAS. They will tell you what is legally fair as if a poster on here is an employer or an employee they might have very different views of what they think is fair.
I'm not saying what any of these other posters is wrong, but rather than risk such an important contract, get the proper legal advice.
It's great to hear that you are taking on someone so business must be doing well. All the best xxx

That's good advice. However, the OP said in her first post that her solicitor (who is drafting her contract) advised 1 weeks notice.

Zooks obviously wants to be a fair employer and was just canvassing views from both employees & employers.

It's clear from all her other posts that she thoroughly researches her ideas before implementing them.

She's going to build herself a great business! :lol:

I have 1 weeks notice in my contracts. When someone hands their notice in (not very often thank god) i put them straight on gardening leave, that way i save myself money. xx

I was advised by my solicitor to use "garden leave" as soon as a member of staff puts in their notice so they don't poach. That means they you have to pay notice in lieu, therefore I week is a lot cheaper than 1 month.

Be also aware that the legal requirement increases to 1 month over time. Therefore I would work to the legal minimum.

When I left my last salon I was required to give one weeks notice but myself and my employer agreed I would work four weeks. This worked for us both as my new salon wasn't opening for a few weeks and they had time to interview a stylist to replace me. I did not give any details of my new salon to my clients during that time but it gave me a chance to let them know I was leaving.
I had worked for my previous employer for eight years so there was a level of trust between us.
I'm not saying this is the correct way to do it but it certainly worked for us.
I think now with the help of social media clients can choose to search for their previous stylist even without them giving out their new location.
Good luck with your new venture.

Latest posts

Back