Employer's perspective

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chantele

Reaction score
I hope I've posted this in the right forum!

I am wanting to start working in salon, I have qualified in my L2 & 3 beauty but I have no salon experience so nowhere will take me on, which I understand.
So I'm going to try get a 1 day placement in a salon and work for free.

I was just wanting to know from an employers point of view, would you be willing to take a girl on for 1 day a week for her to gain experience, or would you think it's isn't worth your while?

I am just asking because it would be the employer doing me the favour, and I don't feel like I would be offering much as I am not yet confident in all of my treatments.

Anyone? Any comments will be appreciated! 😊

I'm not sure you will get quite such an instant response as that! XX
It's tea time/bath time/driving home time! Give hard working geeks a chance to answer, (give it a few hours!) and I'm sure you will have a plethora of salon owning geeks willing to help you out!

I'm not sure you will get quite such an instant response as that! XX
It's tea time/bath time/driving home time! Give hard working geeks a chance to answer, (give it a few hours!) and I'm sure you will have a plethora of salon owning geeks willing to help you out!

Thanks I'm just ready to send emails regarding this that's all. Just wanting some advice.

I qualifed back in 2003 but had a break for the industry for a little while. I offered to work a day for free in a salon just to get back in the swing of things, but had little interest.
So my friend and I decided to start our own mobile business.
Which is doing well so far

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I qualifed back in 2003 but had a break for the industry for a little while. I offered to work a day for free in a salon just to get back in the swing of things, but had little interest.
So my friend and I decided to start our own mobile business.
Which is doing well so far

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I'm finding salons to have little interest too, thought it was just me. It's a hard industry to get into I find, glad your business has worked for you though! Thanks for your help!

I don't think you are allowed to work for free. I'm sure there was a ruling recently that said that interns and other work experience people had to be paid min wage, and get pro rata holiday pay, and all other employee benefits.
I couldn't offer that to someone who just wanted to come and watch.

I don't think you are allowed to work for free. I'm sure there was a ruling recently that said that interns and other work experience people had to be paid min wage, and get pro rata holiday pay, and all other employee benefits.
I couldn't offer that to someone who just wanted to come and watch.

I need to look into wether it is allowed or not then. I'm not wanting to go & watch I am wanting for it to almost be like an apprenticeship, and when confident carry out treatments, depending on what the manger would allow.

I need to look into wether it is allowed or not then. I'm not wanting to go & watch I am wanting for it to almost be like an apprenticeship, and when confident carry out treatments, depending on what the manger would allow.

If you are qualified, then you can't do an apprenticeship. The rules are now fairly complex, which is why salon owners are shying away.
To perform treatments, you must be qualified, in order to be insured. If you are qualified, and working on clients, you have to be paid.

I got into a salon many years ago by working for free one day a week, so it worked for me, but the rules were different back then. It's worth researching it all through ACAS, just so that you can clarify to the salon owners who you contact, what the law allows. If you just approach them with a 'I want to come into your salon for one day a week', I can guarantee you'll get a universal 'no'.

Bear in mind also, that salons are extremely security conscious these days, and most of us who own salons have had sad experience of clients/data/stock/money go walkies, so don't be too upset if you get told that only employees under contract are allowed to be alone in a beauty room with clients, or that you aren't permitted to touch the till.

If you have no luck with gaining salon experience, then practice, practice practice get your routines & experience & confidence yourself. Friends, family etc.

Obviously salon experience is valuable for your CV. But dont let your qualifications go to waste. It may not be the route you intended but there is always the option of being self employed, either from a home salon, mobile, or renting a space.

If you cant afford to set up offering every treatment, start off with what you can & add on things as you start to earn money.

Massage, Mani/pedi, eye treatments, facials & waxing have fairly low start up costs, to get the ball rolling. You can always get a part time job to subsidies your earnings for the time being. Xx

Hello, do you have any spa's nearby or could move to work in 1 for a bit? The recuring theme is that its intensive but excellent experience and theyre always open to newbies.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

I do have a couple nearby, I would actually prefer to work in a spa but I know I wouldn't be happy with the treatments I carry out because I feel like I only know the very basics. My college rushed us all through our course, & passed anybody & everybody. & we were basically told we didn't need to worry about the theory as we never use it? So this is why I'm questioning myself.

I suppose thats why a spa can be an excellent if hard start, your running from the off, they target school leavers so I wouldnt be too worried about finesse, just good college basic routine.

Theres a couple of spa geeks who can probably give you more ins and outs, im just going on what ive read here and the adverts at college x

I do have a couple nearby, I would actually prefer to work in a spa but I know I wouldn't be happy with the treatments I carry out because I feel like I only know the very basics. My college rushed us all through our course, & passed anybody & everybody. & we were basically told we didn't need to worry about the theory as we never use it? So this is why I'm questioning myself.

Most people who start in a spa feel like this but it passes in a few months because doing the treatments become second nature. Ensure you can cope with massage in a trade test and get applying to some spas :)

Salons can be reluctant of newly qualified people due to the cost of refunding dissatisfied customers whereas in a spa they are better able to cope with that within reason. Spas are more likely to help you out in weaker areas because they need staff who are keen and mad enough to do it (after spa work post college, lot of therapists move onto other things).

Most people who start in a spa feel like this but it passes in a few months because doing the treatments become second nature. Ensure you can cope with massage in a trade test and get applying to some spas :)

Salons can be reluctant of newly qualified people due to the cost of refunding dissatisfied customers whereas in a spa they are better able to cope with that within reason. Spas are more likely to help you out in weaker areas because they need staff who are keen and mad enough to do it (after spa work post college, lot of therapists move onto other things).

Massage is probably my strong point. I thought a spa would be harder to get a job at than a salon but I'm happy to here that isn't the case! Time to start handing out my cv. Thanks this has helped lots.

I suppose thats why a spa can be an excellent if hard start, your running from the off, they target school leavers so I wouldnt be too worried about finesse, just good college basic routine.

Theres a couple of spa geeks who can probably give you more ins and outs, im just going on what ive read here and the adverts at college x

This is perfect thank you.

Massage is probably my strong point. I thought a spa would be harder to get a job at than a salon but I'm happy to here that isn't the case! Time to start handing out my cv. Thanks this has helped lots.

I thought that too! I didn't think that a four star establishment would employ me after having no luck with salons but now I think I'd prefer a spa to a salon because most have a human resources department in place which can be helpful re being paid correctly.

Latest posts

Back