Employing 16 year old studying at college

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woo87

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm just after a bit of advice.
I have a 16 year old who has been coming in and doing some work experience with myself in my salon over the summer holidays she has a lot of interest in Beauty and she is very talented.
She has just started college and i would love to get her in one day a week doing discount clients as a trainee.

As she is studying and so young are there different laws with employing? I'm just not sure I want to go down the employing route I have two other girls working with me but they are self employed with own insurance etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tasha

Not sure about laws etc but she'll need to be insured on student insurance.

There's a national minimum wage for 16 year olds and there might be restrictions on how long a shift can be for them as well.

Good to see someone giving a newbie a chance :)

Thank you very much will have a good look at the link! X

Why not contact her college and ask about taking her on as a "work experience" student - they will probably have a work-experience co-ordinator there who would be more than happy to help as the student will probably need to do this at some stage during her course anyway, and they will be able to give you some advice. When I had my salon I did this with a few girls who I felt deserved the chance. The colleges inspected my premises to do the usual risk assessments, checked my insurances / licenses / legal certificates (ie pat testing etc). My professional salon insurance covered trainees / work experience therapists to perform treatments WHEN SUPERVISED.

hth, good luck and well done you for being willing to give a youngster a good start on her career :hug:

Check with the job centre for any incentives and advice. There is a scheme running in Wales called jobs growth Wales, the government pays the employee minimum wage for the first 6 months while on an apprenticeship. After the 6 months I'm sure she will be at a level where she is bringing in money even if its just doing your blow dries so you can move on to the next client and cover her wage.
More employers need to be a bit more like you and give the hard working a good opportunity to get experience and education, well done xoxo

Thank you so much for your replies some interesting thoughts there I will look into them all. And thank you for the nice words about taking on a student I just think back to when i was 16 and a student I would of killed for the experience which I can give her but no one would give me it. I can see she's very determined has a flare an will do so well in the Beauty business so why not! X

Latest posts

Back