Employing staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah theres this idea that people who do VRQs are allowed to pass stuff on blocks. Its not true really. Practice assessments yes, but you cant pass real assessments unless theyre on a paying client, in my college at least. Also, theres more than just a pass/fail now, you can pass, merit or distinction and it is present on the certificate, so i think that should stand for something. Least helps weed out the people who didnt put any effort in.

What's the difference in a VRQ and NVQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assess on both qualifications. Apprentices who attend 1 day a week do nvqs and our full time students do vrq's. Syllabus is much the same but vrq's are delivered over a year and nvqs 2 years. As mentioned previously nvqs have almost double the amount of practical assessments for example 8 haircuts (2 of each cut) compared to just 3 cuts in vrq but they get training in the 4 basic cuts and the student can do a one length, uniform layer and then choose either a short or long grad for the 3rd.
Nvqs require 100% pass in theory tests whereas vrq is 60% which personally I think is ridiculous as to have a gap of 40% in your knowledge is pretty worrying especially for colour etc but that's just my opinion!

With vrq you couldn't really expect to pick up a job as a stylist without progressing through to level 3 and I advise the students to get some work experience too like a saturday job or volunteer 1 day a week. I have had some really good students on the vrq but I do think NVQ is preferable because the student has to do so much more hands on work before they qualify so their consultation skills etc are a lot more advanced. At level 2 and 3 city and guilds require all assessments to be carried out on live models and timed, no blocks allowed. It's all up to the individual and the effort they are prepared to put in.

Latest posts

Back