Employment rights while on probation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before I cant comment on whether the salon is harbouring any underlying issues. It is a short time scale agreed, but if the OP can demonstrate a conscious effort to moderate her behaviour at work during this time then I would hope the next conversation would be more positive and lead to further time to allow her to settle in.

She's been there a month. Long enough to get a handle on how to behave in the salon, and cater for their clientele. With all due respect, furious frog, you seem to be on your own here.
The clue is in the word 'probationary'. It's a period of time that is given to both employee and employer to decide whether the two are a good fit or not. Usually involves no notice period.
Can you imagine Harrods having a loud sales assistant? Or an undertaker having a 'joker' type? No?
Companies can't always sift out what they want during an interview. People are always on best behaviour. That's why we have probationary periods at the start of employment. I've let people go during their probation for myriad reasons, often because they haven't fitted into the team, or are too shy or too loud for what I'm looking for. It's not always a sinister discrimination issue, sometimes it's just the wrong salon for the person, and as an experienced manager, I know that nipping it in the bud at the right time can save both sides a lot of heartache further down the line.
Salon owners know their clients and their salon culture, and there are literally 100000 hairdressers a year being trained right now, we have got a lot of choice.

Savvy employers generally know our way around these things.

Wow...er just wow... Knowing how to get round employment law isn't a skill I'd advertise on a public forum :O

Wow...er just wow... Knowing how to get round employment law isn't a skill I'd advertise on a public forum :O

"Know our way ROUND" is NOT the same thing as know how to GET AROUND.
Please don't attribute words that haven't been written, and read posts PROPERLY before you insinuate or accuse.
I've been an employer for 14 years, and have NEVER been taken to a tribuneral. I have sued 3 former employees though.

With all due respect, furious frog, you seem to be on your own here.

:biggrin: Hey, I was waiting for it to get personal. You go for it!!

It's great to be opinionated when you've got a crowd following you. I'm glad you felt that you needed to point your own popularity compared to mine - you must have been great fun at school.

Shame you weren't as gracious in defeat when you weren't in the majority last time?

A month is no time at all - particularly if she didn't know until yesterday that she wasn't conforming to her bosses whims sufficiently, but I suspect that's probably of no importance to you. From what she's said, she's been given no chance to improve.

So, although I've asked for my profile to be deleted from here because I suffer from runaway-finger syndrome, I suspect this will probably result in me being banned and end up being my last post - which is probably for the best.

Regardless, I'm outta here. You got banned once because you bully people and you've spent most of the time since moaning because you couldn't shill your 50 shades fiction on here. This forum has become a terrifying place where newbies lurk and are scared of voicing an opinion, asking questions or getting involved in the community because they get strips ripped off them if they don't follow the herd.

I truly hope you get lots of satisfaction from being the queen bee on an internet forum filled with random strangers and get a lovely warm glow from it tonight.

It's great to be opinionated when you've got a crowd following you. I'm glad you felt that you needed to point your own popularity compared to mine - you must have been great fun at school.

Shame you weren't as gracious in defeat when you weren't in the majority last time?

A month is no time at all - particularly if she didn't know until yesterday that she wasn't conforming to her bosses whims sufficiently, but I suspect that's probably of no importance to you. From what she's said, she's been given no chance to improve.

So, although I've asked for my profile to be deleted from here because I suffer from runaway-finger syndrome, I suspect this will probably result in me being banned and end up being my last post - which is probably for the best.

Regardless, I'm outta here. You got banned once because you bully people and you've spent most of the time since moaning because you couldn't shill your 50 shades fiction on here. This forum has become a terrifying place where newbies lurk and are scared of voicing an opinion, asking questions or getting involved in the community because they get strips ripped off them if they don't follow the herd.

I truly hope you get lots of satisfaction from being the queen bee on an internet forum filled with random strangers and get a lovely warm glow from it tonight.
Goodness me, chip on your shoulder much?

Do you actually think 5070 posts that I've made here are about a book? Seriously?
Yes, I've helped a lot of geeks over the years on here, and made a lot of good friends. You know why? Because I'm a bloody good hairdresser, not because of any other reason.
You seem to be a rather angry person, and as the saying goes:
'Hating me won't make you pretty', nor will it make you into the hairdresser that you clearly want to be.
I hope that you can get a handle on your anger, and at least use this forum as a resource for good, in helping you build your career.
There are bound to be a few other hairdressers on here to assist you, that you haven't upset.

" I have sued 3 former employees though.

Errrrr.... I think you've summed up that conversation beautifully. Thank you.

To the OP I'd personally keep my head down and look for something else. If you don't 'click' with the other staff you'll just won't be happy there. Don't take it to heart that you're not the right 'fit' for a reserved salon.

Be yourself and remember if all the flowers in the world were daisies it wouldn't be as beautiful :D

Funny that because its you that's made it personal..
Persianista was only pointing out a fact...

As an employer you are always thinking of your team as a whole not individuals. It only takes one team member to upset the whole cart... This is exactly why we have probationary periods.
Also as employers it's important we know the ins and outs of employment law because employees always seem to know their rights and we need to protect ours too.

As for fitting in, I was brought up that work and personal are separate... I'm one person at work and another at home... It's all part of the job... It's the same with clients... The real key to success is adapting yourself to clients needs...

Why you feel the need to bring persiansta's other unrelated activities into this is beyond me ;-/

Funny that because its you that's made it personal..
Persianista was only pointing out a fact...

As an employer you are always thinking of your team as a whole not individuals. It only takes one team member to upset the whole cart... This is exactly why we have probationary periods.
Also as employers it's important we know the ins and outs of employment law because employees always seem to know their rights and we need to protect ours too.

As for fitting in, I was brought up that work and personal are separate... I'm one person at work and another at home... It's all part of the job... It's the same with clients... The real key to success is adapting yourself to clients needs...

Why you feel the need to bring persiansta's other unrelated activities into this is beyond me ;-/

Hmm, I have my own thoughts about that:cool:

Wow, heated much! Furiousfrog (ironic) do you know persianista out there in real life or something? All seems a little OTT for the response she gave. To the OP if you think you can adapt to suit the ambience then try your best, otherwise find somewhere else and let someone else have your job.x all the best.

An interesting thread, and a lot of good information and advice given.

That is the good thing about this site, that things can be seen from the employee and the salon owners point of view.
On the whole the majority do seem to think that adapting to being a team player would be the way to go.
I'm not a salon owner, but plain old common sense would tell me that this would be the correct course of action.
OP, by all means be yourself out of work, but all of us make compromises and conform to what is required whilst in the workplace, therefore that is what you should do. If this employer is not prepared to let you show you can adapt, then hopefully another employer will.

Now could we not be diverted from the topic with any more personal comments. If anyone has issues other than the topic take it to PM.

Furious frog, you sir, are a dick

Furious frog, you sir, are a dick

Couldn't have said it better myself!

This is a professional Forum, and site rules state that you should post constructively and the all important....

Reply to others how you would like them to reply to you.
This is possibly THE most important of all commandments here. We have a low tolerance for members who show disrespect to others (even if the disrespect is somehow warranted). Rude and thoughtless posts are the fastest way to make you look like a right ass in front of the world. Its also a quick way to find yourself on the wrong side of a ban. If you can't say it nicely, go Facebook it.

Yet again people see what they perceive to be disrespect of a geek in their gang and everyone piles in with a smart comment, and all it does is make them and therefore this site look unprofessional.

Yet another thread closed because of this playground mentality.
Apologies to the OP and I hope that enough advice and information was given to you before it was taken off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back