end of year accounts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeawallace

Reaction score
I am doing my end of year accts, i know i can claim for milage but how much are you allowed to claim for washing of towels and phone calls or do you have to log every call you make and is there any thing else that can be claimed.

:)

I am doing my end of year accts, i know i can claim for milage but how much are you allowed to claim for washing of towels and phone calls or do you have to log every call you make and is there any thing else that can be claimed.

To clarify, for mileage, I think it's 40p per mile for the first 10,000 miles in any tax year, and then 25p per mile for any miles in a tax year in excess of 10,000. Which is why I'm glad it's a new tax year on Monday as I can claim an extra 15p per mile for travel expenses again, yay!

Not sure how it works for washing of towels etc; do you run a home or mobile salon? I know that in my line of work (IT) I can claim £2 per week for "use of home as office" as I have an office in the small back bedroom here. As for phone calls, do you mean land line calls or mobile calls or both? If you are using a line for both business and personal use, I'd have expected you to have needed to get a fully itemised bill and work out the costs for business calls from that. I know I don't bother claiming for phone for my work as it would just be too much hassle. Although if you are using a mobile, Orange do a thing where you can add an extra number to your existing phone, which you could then just use for business calls, so you would get two bills which would split things a lot neater for the tax man. But you would need to work out if that was worth the extra expense...

Yes sorry

I am mobile and the phone is mobile also lol

Ah right, cool! In which case, I can't really advise on whether you can claim for washing towels etc or not (I'd be inclined to check this with an accountant), and yes you would need to work out which proportion of calls was for business on your mobile account too and claim accordingly.

I have been on one of those tax workshop day for self employed - I seem to remember them discussing useage of everyday things like for a home salon electricity and computer etc, they indicated that a proportion was personal use but some could be claimed as business expenses. 'Reaonable use' was the words they used! So a % of you personal electric bills can be claimed and your tel bill the same. Hth

Julie

Keep your receipts for washing powder obviously, not sure about the actual electricity and water for the wash, I have not claimed for that.

It is easier to take towels etc to the launderette and let them do a service wash for you,
that way you get a receipt for it all, hth for the future :hug:

It is easier to take towels etc to the launderette and let them do a service wash for you,
that way you get a receipt for it all, hth for the future :hug:

Good idea, but you would need to balance that out in terms of whether it's cheaper to use the launderette and claim on expenses, or do it yourself and take the tax hit...

you can claim for electricity etc used with washing towels, also a percentage for use for when you are working on your biz. You would have to work out your own %, I personally don't but I keep on meaning to keep receipts for washing powder and keep on forgetting.

Yes, you can claim back a % of line rental and phone calls.

I didn't bother with the room use (even though I have a built in office) as I had heard it creates problems if you ever want to sell up.

I claim all of my mobile phone pay as you go back as I only bought the phone for work use.

re: towels, we have a service where the laundrette picks up the towels and returns them, they charge £12 for a large bag.

Thanks Guys for your replys

Gonna do some sums now

Latest posts

Back