Enforcing a no-children policy in a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy_princess

Reaction score
Ive almost finished my level 2 nvq in nail technology and id like to maybe set up a home salon at some point in the future or go mobile. I have a huuuuuuge issue with children (I dont like children to be blunt) and I hear when they get bored theyre known to spill stuff and touch/break things while the mother just sits there. I need some advice on how to make sure nobody brings their children on the day of the appointment when ive warned them before hand that children aren't allowed! But imagine how furious a mother would get if she drives all the way to me and I turn her down :banghead: I really do not want children in salons period.
Advice of any kind is welcome and tell me what you guys do that works for you

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Haha. We welcome children, and dogs on occasion - please now await 400 posts about my insurance not being valid when dog eats child while salon burns down from faulty phone charger!

Sorry no help.

You have to have it in writing and you would have to clarify that if children are brought to your premises you would be unable to carry out the treatment and a charge may be incurred for the lost appointment.

You really would need to spell it out because people think we'll love their children as much as they do but we don't realise it yet!

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Ive almost finished my level 2 nvq in nail technology and id like to maybe set up a home salon at some point in the future or go mobile. I have a huuuuuuge issue with children (I dont like children to be blunt) and I hear when they get bored theyre known to spill stuff and touch/break things while the mother just sits there. I need some advice on how to make sure nobody brings their children on the day of the appointment when ive warned them before hand that children aren't allowed! But imagine how furious a mother would get if she drives all the way to me and I turn her down :banghead: I really do not want children in salons period.
Advice of any kind is welcome and tell me what you guys do that works for you

A client would have no right to be furious if you tell them at the time of booking that children are not allowed.

You could also follow-up a confirmed appointment with a text reminding the client of appointment details and that children will not be allowed.

If children are a deal-breaker for you, you need to make sure all potential clients are aware that bringing a child will result in the appointment being terminated.

If you ever ask for deposits you should make this a clear condition - and write it in BIG - that arriving with a child is a non-refundable condition and the appointment will be cancelled.

Whatever method you use to advertise yourself, make sure it is clear that you are a strictly child-free business.

Added: Squidger - it took me so long to write my post that you got in there first with almost the same response lol. xxx

I agree with the above however don't tell clients it's because you don't like children as this could be taken with offence by some :)

As its your home salon, just state that you are not insured to have any additional friends & family waiting at your premises during the appointment. This means you will have to cancel the appointment (and charge a cancellation fee) if clients bring anyone including her children with her.

As above, no need to mention deep hatred of other people's children. ;)

Whilst I COMPLETLEY get where you are coming from, be sure this is really what you want, as there will be no going back.
Imagine you let little 'Jimmy' in, "just this time", (he's feeling a little poorly, and couldn't go to school....)
Friend then book's in with you, and present's a similar scenario, 'sorry but I've had to bring 'Jessie' along, there's an inset day at the school,... she'll be very quite..., blah blah blah.....

Also how could you 'enforce' this when you go to theirs....it's their home after all, and if Jessie want's to watch Mummy have her nails done....Jessie can!
I will ALWAY'S prefer they didn't bring their 'little lovelies' with them.
Mummy WILL have a better experience, a more relaxed treatment, if they stay at home, but I do not want to offend, after all, we're talking about their babies!.... long term, our potential future client's. :wink2:

I agree with the above however don't tell clients it's because you don't like children as this could be taken with offence by some :)

Definitely! Ill tell them im not insured to have children on the premises and that theres dangerous chemicals, sharp tools:D

Whilst I COMPLETLEY get where you are coming from, be sure this is really what you want, as there will be no going back.
Imagine you let little 'Jimmy' in, "just this time", (he's feeling a little poorly, and couldn't go to school....)
Friend then book's in with you, and present's a similar scenario, 'sorry but I've had to bring 'Jessie' along, there's an inset day at the school,... she'll be very quite..., blah blah blah.....

Also how could you 'enforce' this when you go to theirs....it's their home after all, and if Jessie want's to watch Mummy have her nails done....Jessie can!
I will ALWAY'S prefer they didn't bring their 'little lovelies' with them.
Mummy WILL have a better experience, a more relaxed treatment, if they stay at home, but I do not want to offend, after all, we're talking about their babies!.... long term, our potential future client's. :wink2:

Apologies for not clarifying, if i do go mobile I cant get rid of the kids lmao but I do want to guarantee that none of my chemicals n potions and stuff is touched

Apologies for not clarifying, if i do go mobile I cant get rid of the kids lmao but I do want to guarantee that none of my chemicals n potions and stuff is touched

Just be like me. I'm not afraid to tell them off if they go anywhere near my things. They listen to me like they never listen to their parents. I then explain to the parents how hazardous some of the products can be and we don't want little Jimmy hurting himself(!) What we really want is little Jimmy to really not be there but hey ho!

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a friend that has a hairdressing salon she runs from home, and the no children issue had become a HUGE problem.
Only one client took advantage, from assuming she could set the kids up in the lounge room, and the kids constantly asking and wailing for food. Of course mum never brought any.
Thank God my friend moved house, and the salon is the only room completely finished. Now she has a valid excuse not to have any children in the house, because it's still a building zone.
She's the loveliest person ever, so it was hard for her to put her foot down, but had to due to building insurance etc.
There's nothing worse than a client taking advantage of your kind nature, and making you resent them.
Don't even get started unless the children are clients, and are there for their own haircuts, it'll end in tears, most probably yours.....

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a friend that has a hairdressing salon she runs from home, and the no children issue had become a HUGE problem.
Only one client took advantage, from assuming she could set the kids up in the lounge room, and the kids constantly asking and wailing for food. Of course mum never brought any.
Thank God my friend moved house, and the salon is the only room completely finished. Now she has a valid excuse not to have any children in the house, because it's still a building zone.
She's the loveliest person ever, so it was hard for her to put her foot down, but had to due to building insurance etc.
There's nothing worse than a client taking advantage of your kind nature, and making you resent them.
Don't even get started unless the children are clients, and are there for their own haircuts, it'll end in tears, most probably yours.....

Damn thats a shame. Ive read the above comments and it is a good idea to tell them beforehand that bringing kids will result in cancellation of appointment. But like you said she was too nice.
Sometimes you need to throw being nice out the window, because if they bring their kids first time they'll bring them again.... and again... til you tell that client you can no longer accommodate them but its better to just be upfront first time round

Damn thats a shame. Ive read the above comments and it is a good idea to tell them beforehand that bringing kids will result in cancellation of appointment. But like you said she was too nice.
Sometimes you need to throw being nice out the window, because if they bring their kids first time they'll bring them again.... and again... til you tell that client you can no longer accommodate them but its better to just be upfront first time round

Yes you're so right. Because the client was a single mum, my friend felt sorry for her, but she ended up being taken advantage of like you wouldn't believe.
Even to the point where the client would say "I'll transfer the money on pension day " and my friend would be waiting weeks for it. Then we'd see on fb how she was tarting it up at the local pub.
I guess it's a lesson to not get too emotionally involved with clients, because some will take advantage like this one.
Friend's older children used to hate getting stuck with clients kids in their lounge room too, so it just had to stop.

Yes you're so right. Because the client was a single mum, my friend felt sorry for her, but she ended up being taken advantage of like you wouldn't believe.
Even to the point where the client would say "I'll transfer the money on pension day " and my friend would be waiting weeks for it. Then we'd see on fb how she was tarting it up at the local pub.
I guess it's a lesson to not get too emotionally involved with clients, because some will take advantage like this one.
Friend's older children used to hate getting stuck with clients kids in their lounge room too, so it just had to stop.

Its sad that were the ones that have to say something rather than the clients having some common sense and courtesy

Hotel salon I work from ppl bring kids for mommy and kiddie pedicures etc and by time mom gets feet soaked kids already run off and touched dropped and fiddled had mommy yelling all time that I am so annoyed I like to kick them both out. Or there parents who bring 3 kids at once for party nails. And you only imagine the noise. I have other treatment rooms which clients pay big bucks have massages etc and have kids noise is not cool. We told parents Pls come with kids keep quiet we even have signs up.
At end day they do not care!!!
I given up.
Ppl just don't give a hoot anymore.
Selfish

I've only encountered this once luckily. A new client was arriving & I could see her getting a toddler & another child out of her car & putting him in a pushchair. She was coming to my homebased salon for a full set of sculpted acrylics & I was dumbstruck at the cheek of it. Not even a call before hand to explain that her childcare had let her down & did I mind. I think she must have thought that if she just turned up with them if feel sorry for her & let her in with them. I couldn't bear the thought of them running riot around my home. So I opened the door and said that I was sorry but it was no place for children with chemicals around etc so I wouldn't be able to do the nail service.
I never saw her again!! But so worth the failed appointment.

I think the same should apply to dogs! Which lets face it, are like children to some people. I was doing a full set of acrylics on my friend when she let her overly excitable 2 large dogs into the kitchen where I was trying to work. It was mayhem as they both bounced all over the place and onto my kit knocking products over, there was hair everywhere and they didn't smell great either. I was mortified as I'm still only learning, so all these things can be really off putting.

Its sad that were the ones that have to say something rather than the clients having some common sense and courtesy

I don't think it's fair to say that bringing kids to am appointment lacks common sense and courtesy.

Children are an attachment to some parents and they wouldn't dream of getting a sitter (especially if limited) for some pampering. I know I wouldn't.

I appreciate some children don't sit still but I gladly welcome children to my home where I offer treatments and with the TV on and a basket of toys I've never had a mishap in 5 years aside from a few crisps on the floor!! The one time I have had an issue was working mobile so perhaps best not to do this.

I'd be glad to know beforehand that children weren't welcome as I'd be more than happy to find someone else to do my treatments, especially if it was seen that I lack common sense and courtesy 😱

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to say that bringing kids to am appointment lacks common sense and courtesy.

Children are an attachment to some parents and they wouldn't dream of getting a sitter for some pampering. I know I wouldn't.

I appreciate some children don't sit still but I gladly welcome children to my home where I offer treatments and with the TV on and a basket of toys I've never had a mishap in 5 years aside from a few crisps on the floor!! The one time I have had an issue was working mobile so perhaps best not to do this.

I'd be glad to know beforehand that children weren't welcome as I'd be more than happy to find someone else to do my treatments, especially if it was seen that I lack common sense and courtesy 😱

The clients that expect it, assume that treats and entertainment will be provided, run late, and then don't bother to pay on the day not only lack respect and common courtesy but are also rude and selfish.

The clients that expect it, assume that treats and entertainment will be provided, run late, and then don't bother to pay on the day not only lack respect and common courtesy but are also rude and selfish.

And maybe you discipline your children Emily, and maybe they're an absolute pleasure.
This particular client's children turned into a nightmare, no discipline, rude and greedy. Obviously not all children are this bad! But it would be a difficult situation if you had to change the rules because one client has revolting kids. Best to set the ground rules first, so there's no misunderstanding or upset.
As with everything, it only takes a couple of horrid kids to make it tough for the mums with lovely well behaved kids that are little sweeties.

And maybe you discipline your children Emily, and maybe they're an absolute pleasure.
This particular client's children turned into a nightmare, no discipline, rude and greedy. Obviously not all children are this bad! But it would be a difficult situation if you had to change the rules because one client has revolting kids. Best to set the ground rules first, so there's no misunderstanding or upset.
As with everything, it only takes a couple of horrid kids to make it tough for the mums with lovely well behaved kids that are little sweeties.

Don't get me wrong there's some kids I'm not overly fond of but I could say the same about some clients 😂

I do often have childcare for my appointments but only because it isn't an effort, he's at school through the day or my family are good at having him. I wouldn't not book an appointment somewhere though if I Couldn't get child care, I've been a single mum and know it can be hard to get those little treats sometimes so I try my best to accommodate other people who may also be in the same situation.

Latest posts

Back