Enhancements on Men

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connoisseur

Reaction score
A thought just crossed my mind.

Have any of you geeks ever done a full set of nail enhancements on a man (paying customer)?

If so, what were the circumstances:

• Was it for a special event,
  • Was he a drag queen
  • Did he have badly damaged nails
Any repeat male customers?

Hello Amanda,

I made and I keep making enhancements on men, who are guitar players. They usually ask for only three nails or only one thumb.

Hello Amanda,

I made and I keep making enhancements on men, who are guitar players. They usually ask for only three nails or only one thumb.

Hi Axey,

That's a really good market to aim at.

Do the nails last or do they tend to get damaged more quickly? And did they approach you?

i have never in my career so far done a full set on a paying client...

ive done the odd repair/overlay for my dad as one of his nails splits... but i have to take my products home as he wont come in to the salon...bless!...lolol

i have never in my career so far done a full set on a paying client...

ive done the odd repair/overlay for my dad as one of his nails splits... but i have to take my products home as he wont come in to the salon...bless!...lolol

Is he brave enough to admit to others that he's had them enhanced?

Is he brave enough to admit to others that he's had them enhanced?

it was only a wee bit of product on one nail to prevent it from spliting.... i havent done it on my dad for ages...
i dunno;..... i think dads proud of what i have achieved im my career so far... so i guess having a wee bit of product on one nail isnt that bad... ill ask him tomorrow.......

i have done the occasional overlay on a split nail and as said a couple of fingers for a guitar player.....never a full set though.....I think it might weird me out a little until I saw the $$ then I'd feel better!:)

i've done a few.
when i first trained i did my hubby for practice.
then on a couple of subsequent occasions when he was trying to conquer his nail biting habit and had interviews to attend. he's almost done with nibbling now.

another guy was a fairly flamboyant fashion student.
another was a nail biter who was trying to spruce himself up for his girlfriend
and there was another guy who kept asking, but was so smelly i wouldnt have done them for any money, so i was mysteriously fully booked for months ahead.:lol:
i'd love to do a drag queen as i have a taste for the flamboyant styles !

i've done a few.
when i first trained i did my hubby for practice.
then on a couple of subsequent occasions when he was trying to conquer his nail biting habit and had interviews to attend. he's almost done with nibbling now.

another guy was a fairly flamboyant fashion student.
another was a nail biter who was trying to spruce himself up for his girlfriend
and there was another guy who kept asking, but was so smelly i wouldnt have done them for any money, so i was mysteriously fully booked for months ahead.:lol:
i'd love to do a drag queen as i have a taste for the flamboyant styles !

The 'smelly guy' sounds a bit 'off' did you ever find o ut what he wanted them for? did he want a full set?

I Too Have Done Nail Enhancements On 3 Nails For A Guitar Player. Had To Have Them Oval Shaped And Short, Just Enough Length To Pluck Strings. He Was A Returning Client For A Few Months, His Own Nails Grew Underneath, So Soaked Off Product......that Was 5+ Years Ago!!

I Too Have Done Nail Enhancements On 3 Nails For A Guitar Player. Had To Have Them Oval Shaped And Short, Just Enough Length To Pluck Strings. He Was A Returning Client For A Few Months, His Own Nails Grew Underneath, So Soaked Off Product......that Was 5+ Years Ago!!

Did he request them oval shaped - was this to replace the 'pick'? If that's what it's called.

BTW: Your website, and it's brilliant. One of the best nail tech sites I've seen. Very classy and easy to navigate around

The 'smelly guy' sounds a bit 'off' did you ever find o ut what he wanted them for? did he want a full set?

he was just a bit strange i think. he wasnt the full ticket, no problem with that, it was just the honk of him that was the problem and i figured if he didnt know how to keep himself clean there was no way he could look after nail enhancements. i did see him later sporting a full set from a nearby nss, perhaps their masks helped muffle his distinctive aroma.:rolleyes:

Did he request them oval shaped - was this to replace the 'pick'? If that's what it's called. yes, it was to replace the 'pick'....but im not sure if its called that, lol

BTW: Your website, and it's brilliant. One of the best nail tech sites I've seen. Very classy and easy to navigate around
thank-you Amanda, my web site builder did me proud, i will pass your comments on to him.

he was just a bit strange i think. he wasnt the full ticket, no problem with that, it was just the honk of him that was the problem and i figured if he didnt know how to keep himself clean there was no way he could look after nail enhancements. i did see him later sporting a full set from a nearby nss, perhaps their masks helped muffle his distinctive aroma.:rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have done a tranny it was not long after I first started at my new job, our receptionist brought her down and I can remember thinking my god she is so pretty make up to die for, (I mean amazing!!!) it wasnt untill she opened her mouth and I worked on her hands (huge) that I realised she was a he, I didnt ask any questions about if she was post/ present, but I was dying to ask her/him just how the hell she got her make up so bludie lovely!!! She was pleased with her nails anyhow.
I have a couple of mature gentlemen that like manicures, and I think its lovely that they still care about themselves and anyhow a client is a client and they come in all shapes and sizes, Literally... lol

I used to have a regular client who had nail enhancments, he has been having them for about 4 years now and has recently done his creative training and is working in a salon.

Hi Axey,

That's a really good market to aim at.

Do the nails last or do they tend to get damaged more quickly? And did they approach you?

It started with a friend who is playing death metal. He was the first person I practised on. Then two of his friends followed. Later, I added a specific service for guitar players on my price list and I placed an ad on a forum for guitar players.

There's a real need for this kind of service, especially with professionnal players. But on the other hand, these guys don't want to see a nail tech, as they think that kind of place is only for ladies.

The first try was with a tip and gel, and it was a disaster. He didn't like the sound, and he broke (cut in half) the nail while was he was on tour. The nail totally lifted a few days after.

Next try was with L+P. The client didn't like the sound and he filed the nail.
I tried tons of techniques then. With and without tips, gel, L+P, acrygel, ...
Until I finally found that an hybrid construction with fiberglass, Biosculpture and L+P was giving the result they all seem to love, despite an ugly and thick look.

These clients are funny. Some want pentacles or satanic nail art. I also had one who asked me to sculpt a mediator on his thumbnail.

but I was dying to ask her/him just how the hell she got her make up so bludie lovely!!!

Ahh you should have asked, I'm sure she/he wouldn't have been offended. It's just regular 'salon chat'

These clients are funny. Some want pentacles or satanic nail art. I also had one who asked me to sculpt a mediator on his thumbnail.

Okay, I was doing really well until I got to this point...what are 'pentacles' and what is a 'mediator'

I suppose, the sound is really important so the tip has to be perfect 'fit for the purpose'

Latest posts

Back