Excessive drinking and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember eons ago when I used to go clubbing my polish and nails flaked off the day after which I attributed to drunken behaviour/bashing nails.

When I worked in a bar I had the exact same delamination which is perhaps also from heavy handed bar work but also lots & lots of alcohol being slopped about by drunkards? It would have a drying effect on the natural nails wouldn't it?

I think if you do feel like you would like to try and help her i would anonymously send her some leaflets from AA.If you go on their website there are packs you can.Get them sent to you and then post them to her completely anonymously.They may well go in the bin but you never know.

Hey girls weird question,

I have a girl who is a black out drunk for a client. So badly that she sneeks booze to her appointments and is drunk all the time. Iv been thinking of dropping her.

Her nails never last more then two weeks. There is damage but its only ever one hand. They are sculpted gels. I have clients who stretch 4 weeks with out a fill and not one break. She now wants a "discount"(her words not mine) because they dont last. She doesnt work and sits at home all day. I have clients who work in deli's and demanding jobs who don't have these issues.

My question is can excessive drinking effect your nails? Can it effect the longevity of them?

P.s. Never had an issue like this before, a part of me thinks she when she is drunk she flails around and breakes them off.

Hi Jocie,
I feel for you, I have a similar problem (although she's not a drunk), just a general awkward client, texting asking for a discount next time as her nails in her words don't last. It's frustrating when like you, I have clients that really care for their nails and make them last really well with no problems!

It's an added stress that at the end of the day we would probably be better off without!
I have given in to this discount she has requested which I'm now slightly regretting but I don't want her bad mouthing me as she's told me she's made a scene in other salons when she wasn't happy. .eek! It's such a tricky situation.

Well i hate to offend but i think you must be down right hard up for money to do a drunk client..I know it is a recession but that is taking it too far knowing she is drunk and your watching her kill herself drinking in front of you, whilst she is coming to you for nails. I have never heard anything more appalling. It is like saying here you are have a treat but forget you have a more serious problem. but while your there ill do your nails and treat myself to your money. how much does a leaflet cost on addiction from your clinic ????....nothing....I do not know what sort of you people you are must be a total lowlife ??? do you not have a heart what if she dies would YOU not feel guilty knowing you could have said something or left a leaflet for her to take away showed you cared rather then glamour her up for death..''Oh i forgot you not to say anything just do a drunk''... Or since you have not the guts to open your bleeding gob leave a few leaflets on the table whilst doing her nails she may take it home if she wants to she needs help
No i do not think i gave bad advice actually!
I suppose it just sorts the wheat from the chaff:eek:
NO WONDER SOCIETY IS THE WAY IT IS WITH YOU SORT IN IT

Last edited:
Well i hate to offend but i think you must be down right hard up for money to do a drunk client..I know it is a recession but that is taking it too far knowing she is drunk and your watching her kill herself drinking in front of you, whilst she is coming to you for nails. I have never heard anything more appalling. It is like saying here you are have a treat but forget you have a more serious problem. but while your there ill do your nails and treat myself to your money. how much does a leaflet cost on addiction from your clinic ????....nothing....I do not know what sort of you people you are must be a total lowlife ??? do you not have a heart what if she dies would YOU not feel guilty knowing you could have something rather then glamour her up for death..''Oh i forgot you not to say anything just do a drunk''... Or even gave her leaflet even leave it on the table whilst doing her nails she may take it home she needs help at least talk to her
No i do not think i gave bad advice actually!
I suppose it just sorts the wheat from the chaff:eek:
NO WONDER SOCIETY IS THE WAY IT IS WITH YOU SORT IN IT

You're completely out of line. Perhaps you've never dealt with anyone who has an addiction but a lot of us have and until that person is ready to admit the problem; advice or help falls on deaf ears. She has not said that the client is always drunk during appointments and she is not friends with the client. Who is she to tell her how to live her life when she is simply a client?? Maybe have a read in your nail books under the business section which reminds us that we're doing a service, not gossiping about others or handing over advice. You may think that it's easy to butt in to someone's addiction and poof they're fixed but let me tell you its not that easy. Nor is it professional to tell her what to do or refuse her service because she is an alcoholic. Jocie is doing what she needs to do and is not wanting to continue on with this client for her own reasons. Telling her that she must be hard up for money because she is taking money from an alcoholic is appalling. That woman is also a human being and she doesn't deserve to be told what to do with her life before she can have nice nails. Its her money. Its her life. Discrimination much? Jocie is having issues with how she treats her nails and that is the main issue. There are many people out there who suffer with alcoholism and I'm sure you've done nails on a few of them. You don't know everyone's situation and you don't know that your best client doesn't go home every night to drink a bottle of vodka. She has no reason to feel bad for doing services for this client. You need to rethink your professionalism as a beauty therapist.

You're completely out of line. Perhaps you've never dealt with anyone who has an addiction but a lot of us have and until that person is ready to admit the problem; advice or help falls on deaf ears. She has not said that the client is always drunk during appointments and she is not friends with the client. Who is she to tell her how to live her life when she is simply a client?? Maybe have a read in your nail books under the business section which reminds us that we're doing a service, not gossiping about others or handing over advice. You may think that it's easy to butt in to someone's addiction and poof they're fixed but let me tell you its not that easy. Nor is it professional to tell her what to do or refuse her service because she is an alcoholic. Jocie is doing what she needs to do and is not wanting to continue on with this client for her own reasons. Telling her that she must be hard up for money because she is taking money from an alcoholic is appalling. That woman is also a human being and she doesn't deserve to be told what to do with her life before she can have nice nails. Its her money. Its her life. Discrimination much? Jocie is having issues with how she treats her nails and that is the main issue. There are many people out there who suffer with alcoholism and I'm sure you've done nails on a few of them. You don't know everyone's situation and you don't know that your best client doesn't go home every night to drink a bottle of vodka. She has no reason to feel bad for doing services for this client. You need to rethink your professionalism as a beauty therapist.

Well said!!!! xx

I think ShannonU's comments are a good note to close on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back