Expanding fringe...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
does anyone have any fringe advice??????
i struggle cutting fuller fringes cos every time i pull more hair forward and cut it, then its just goes wider rather than thicker, if you know what I mean? it always looks like its gonna be fine but then the bits ive pulled forward go to the sides and it ends up being a big wide fringe...HELP!!!

hi hun are you wanting it straight or curved ? if i do a curved one i do the twist trick that usually ends up with a nice finish ,

em usually a bit curved, thats what most people are looking for at the moment, but sometimes straight too.

what is the twist trick?? i think its becoming more and more apparent that i am pretty much self taught with fringes - i dont remember anyone actually teaching me how to do a fringe...

Ooh what's the twist trick Dee?

em usually a bit curved, thats what most people are looking for at the moment, but sometimes straight too.

what is the twist trick?? i think its becoming more and more apparent that i am pretty much self taught with fringes - i dont remember anyone actually teaching me how to do a fringe...

I too was never taught how to cut them, and it's the one part of the cut I always feel nervous with. I also have the wide fringe problem.

i will try find a link .. basically you comb out all the hair required for the fringe .. bring it forwardto about bridge of nose (if wet ) hold hair between index and middle finger and just twist and cut straight across .. due to the twist it creates lenght at each side therefore creating a curved fringe .. its in one of my vids somewhere ..
also i learnt the other day about doing side swept fringes that short hairs guide long ones , so when doing side sweeps , try slicing in on the angle you are wanting it to sit at , hth x

but will that stop it being a wide fringe???

I too have never heard of twisting for a fringe (use it on curly hair thou) will try that out thanks for the info Dee X

but will that stop it being a wide fringe???

well it will only be as wide as you make your section wont it ?

so if you only want a fringe to sit inline with the edge of eyebrow for example .. you wont take hair any further ? just clip the rest of the hair out of the way .. i find when you dont do proper sections thats when it all gets a bit messed up .. i know some hairdressers say "oh i dont need to section , have been doing it yrs " , but thats garbage i have done it without sectioning when i am being lazy and theres no doubt i end up with far better cuts if i do it properly :lol:

wow its really hard to explain sorry hun if you dont get what i mean .. dawn will no doubt be better at explaining stuff shes more articualte than me , lol

I don't know if it says in that video, but if I was to twist cut a fringe I'd make sure my fringe section is no wider than the outer corner of the clients eyes, otherwise it will end up been way too wide. You've got to think about the curvature of the clients head and the hair type.

Also if I twist cut a fringe I will hold the section on the bridge of the nose, dry, with my right hand, twist then grab the section with my left hand putting my fingers ontop of where my right hand was then twist again..... And cut. I don't know if that was in the YouTube vid cause I can't watch it right now.

so you twist twice ? not seen that before .. thats not in that vid i found no hun x

also kimi .. do you section fringes the same everytime ? do you go stright across , rounded , or v shaped ? i would think if you are doing a straight across section then it could get wide , i would stick to the v sectioning ?

I too have never heard of twisting for a fringe (use it on curly hair thou) will try that out thanks for the info Dee X

hi pip can you explain what you do with the curly hair ?
i havent ever heard of it being used for an actual cut only fringes .. altho in the vid it looks like the guy uses it for a whole cut , lol

Well when I say twist twice it's twisted like half in one hand then half in the other, then it makes one full twist. I find it hard explaining this stuff in writing hah

Twisting and cutting curly hair shoulder length and longer...

Sometimes instead of basic layering thick long curly hair I section from ears (in a half up half down sorta way) and in top half take small sections and lift directly above the head and twist until fairly tight then snip into it 3-4 times randomly in the top third of the section (end bit by fingers) repeat with rest!
This gives a lovely relaxed layer effect as sometime thick curly hair just doesnt 'lay' right if cut in a regimented way.
hope i have explained it well enough for you to understand :eek:
Wasn't trained to do this but saw a celeb hairdresser do it on tv once and a very good friend with VERY curly hair was game enough to be my guinea pig and it gives a lovely result.

ahh right sorta like point cutting ? sounds good i might have to try it , x

Now that you know how to frame the face with that technique, play and do it to the back of the head for a graduated bob.

Would never have thought to do it round the back.... Makes sense though!!! Thanks

I like to point cut my fuller fringes, i take from the hairline and work my way backwards. To minimise taking too much i take a small weaved triangle section, take a slice, angle it roughly 45degrees towards the nose. It give a nice volume and frames and blends nicely depending on whatever face shape your working with! hths xoxo

Latest posts

Back