Expectations of a salon manager

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma-angel

Reaction score
Hello geeks!

I would like some feedback from salon owners and therapists as to what they expect from their salon manager.

Here's my thinking,
they should be, friendly, approachable, have good leadership skills, positive and passionate about the salon and the staff.......

Would love to hear your veiws

xxx

I went to a spa hotel recently, there was a problem with a treatment, I spoke to the therapist who then spoke to her "manager" - he came over to me 1 HOUR AFTER the treatment finished to talk to me, (in that time I watched him change a light bulb) he was a general spa/gym manager & didnt know hardly anything about the beauty industry (only what the therapist had told him, some of which was incorrect).

So, some of my expectations of a salon/spa manager as a client & therapist is;
To sort any problems out straight away,
Listen to both sides of the story if there is a problem,
Know your industry,
Make sure everyone is working correctly & everthing is running smoothly,
Talk to the clients, get feedback,
Be approachable.

HI!
I should point out that I have never owned or managed a salon. However, in my previous career I recruited and managed staff ,so I hope I can help a bit.
I think all the points made are very valid as to the personal attributes you would expect. However a job description would need to be more specific and detail all the responsibilities of the manager on a daily, weekly, monthly basis.
As for recruiting, have 2 columns, essential and desirable. For example, it would be essential to have recognised qualifications to a stated level, whereas it might be desirable , say, to have a current First Aid certificate. (Obviously these would be tailored to your needs). This will help when long-listing and short-listing applicants.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back