Experiment - acrylic & gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGritt

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I think this may be a long thread so appologies in advence :green:

I have totally ran out of clear acrylic and suddenly thought i have some clear gel that came with my acrylic course (Why? I do not know).

I still have my old UV lamp and thought i wonder......

I have a lady in with me for a simple white glitter overlay that i do in acrylic but as i have ran out of clear i thought can i overlay the premixed white glitter with gel????

Anyway, i thought of a new design and set about experimenting.

I used nsi cover powder to extend the nail (On my trainer hand), let it set and defined the smile line.

Next i started on the tip, laying down my clear builder gel and adding some stars, then cured.

Added another layer of gel again cured it.

Added final layer of gel and slightly overlapped it onto the cover powder, cured it.

Filed and shaped etc etc.

I think it came out ok but i am a little concerned over the actual wearability of the systems combined.

I started nails using a UV bought system then i trained in acrylic so i have a tiny little knowledge of gel (But no where near confident). I sculpted the nail 'experiment'

If anything i would like some views on how wearable the nail woud be any any problems i could possibly face :eek:

Cheers guys

I can't offer you any advice I'm sorry but I just wanted to say, thank you for posting this question.

The one thing I love about this place is, every time I have a question in my own head (like the same one your posting) I come here to ask it myself and bingo, it has been put up already just minutes before I was going to ask the same thing.

So I too, look forward to the replies:) and then we will both know.

BTW, I use NSI also.

Hopefully, great minds think alike!

I am actually thinking of going doing my own nails to check out the wearability of them, having trouble uploading pic of experiment at mo

Hi guys,

I think this may be a long thread so appologies in advence :green:

I have totally ran out of clear acrylic and suddenly thought i have some clear gel that came with my acrylic course (Why? I do not know).

I still have my old UV lamp and thought i wonder......

I have a lady in with me for a simple white glitter overlay that i do in acrylic but as i have ran out of clear i thought can i overlay the premixed white glitter with gel????

Anyway, i thought of a new design and set about experimenting.

I used nsi cover powder to extend the nail (On my trainer hand), let it set and defined the smile line.

Next i started on the tip, laying down my clear builder gel and adding some stars, then cured.

Added another layer of gel again cured it.

Added final layer of gel and slightly overlapped it onto the cover powder, cured it.

Filed and shaped etc etc.

I think it came out ok but i am a little concerned over the actual wearability of the systems combined.

I started nails using a UV bought system then i trained in acrylic so i have a tiny little knowledge of gel (But no where near confident). I sculpted the nail 'experiment'

If anything i would like some views on how wearable the nail woud be any any problems i could possibly face :eek:

Cheers guys
You can mix glitter, shells etc with gel, however i personaly think acrylic is better as i find it lasts longer and is stronger. If you do decide to use the gel just make sure you have everything you need eg prep and cleanse. hope this helps.

thanks hunn.

I managed to upload a pic of acrylic and gel but it is in my nail play album on my profile.

I prefer working with acrylic as i find myself getting impatient with gels

I have infilled liquid and powder with gel before on my annoying "picker" clients, those who like to scrape and scrape until they get a lift and then pick, and never had any problems doing that.

xxx

I have infilled liquid and powder with gel before on my annoying "picker" clients, those who like to scrape and scrape until they get a lift and then pick, and never had any problems doing that.

xxx

Again, an answer to a question I have...gawd I love this place.

I am currently wearing gel and they are desperately needing a infill and the best bit, I have NO lifting what so ever but with my acrylics, I always get lifting.
I think I get no lifting with gel cause with my acrylic I am still struggling with getting my ratios right and I'm sure they are off and are causing the lifting, where as with the gel I don't have to worry about mix ratio.
But I was thinking about doing an infill with acrylic to see how this looks and wears.
Mainly just for something more for me to learn about to be honest:) and as a little experiment.

Cgritt, I will go check out your album:)

I know lots of techs who are highly experienced... for one Rebecca orme told me she does a acrylic and gel on her nails acrylic to give them the strength and gel for the appearance..or something a long those lines so it is safe to do so.
I think to be on safe side i would of course wait till the acrylic has set before putting the gel on but this doesn't take long...depending on your system.

I mix using gel and acrylic all the time. I love acrylic for strength and only gals who wear a really long nail I always put a thin layer of acrylic in the nail for extra strength. You just want to make sure your acrylic is fully cured before applying gel to it and follow full gel application procedure and full acrylic procedure.

can you put build gel directly over acrylic tip, or do you put bond on first?

when I apply gel to acrylic in any way I always use my gel "bonder. primer, base bond". Whatever your primer is called in the product line you are using. Not sure if other techs would use a different approach but this is what I was taught in school and advised by my suppier who is an educator. when you went to school did they not cover this?

Latest posts

Back