Extreme matting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer27

Reaction score
Just need a bit of advice, I fitted a client 3 weeks ago... Micro sew in. Fabulong weft 180gram. The hair was gorgeous, my client mega happy. I went on holiday for a week and had a message off her saying she had a knot and was concerned, I got her in today and it wasn't just a knot it was one rock hard solid mass of hair! I have never experienced anything like that in my life ! It was horrific! I spent and hour trying to remove it and then had my next client due in fir a fitting, I work solo and so it was difficult to deal with. I asked my client who came in for her fitting if there was any chance I could fit her haue tomorrow so I could spend more time rectifying the knot but she couldn't so I had to ask my client to come back tomorrow so I could spend the time it would need. She left and was due in tomorrow. After discussing aftercare she agreed she felt this was the issue. She hadn't been brushing it properly, was washing it every other day, not straightening it and had been horse riding and wearing a hat therefore I think these factors have worked to create this mega mass of a knot! Anyway I've just received a message off her saying that she's very unhappy I did not sort it for her and had been to see a hairdresser to get it removed instead and that the hairdresser had told get it was a product issue and I should issue her a refund !!! I've offered to cover the cost of the hairdresser but I don't believe I should have to refund her? I'd be interested to know what others think? Thanks x

I don't deal in extensions but from what you've said and from having them in myself the aftercare is the most important bit I felt if I went to the gym more than normal I was prone to more matting when I took them out before my refit, so if she is saying she rides with a hat it's due to a lack of poor aftercare and I wouldn't refund her the full amount just do like you said and cover the cost of the hairdresser

I would ask her if this hair dresser is trained in hair extensions and explain the hair would need to be tested before confirming it is to do with the weft hair and not her own. I had a client that decided to try bleach her dark extensions once and they went a grey colour instead of blonde she went to a salon and they told her it was fake hair.. Everyone knows you can't lift dark extensions to light. But it does sound like her aftercare anyway Maybe her own hair is few fine and soft which makes it matt quite easily. Don't issue her a refund though cause she has actually broken the contract with you by going to someone else to have them removed which has made her "claim" void

Ah thank you, Yes I did exactly as you mentioned yesterday so I feel like I've made the right decision. It's just so difficult with these cases as I only like my clients to be happy but I guess we can't please everyone. I'm going to see what she comes back with today. xxx

Why do people want extensions but don't look after them def sounds like an aftercare issue .. X

Just need a bit of advice, I fitted a client 3 weeks ago... Micro sew in. Fabulong weft 180gram. The hair was gorgeous, my client mega happy. I went on holiday for a week and had a message off her saying she had a knot and was concerned, I got her in today and it wasn't just a knot it was one rock hard solid mass of hair! I have never experienced anything like that in my life ! It was horrific! I spent and hour trying to remove it and then had my next client due in fir a fitting, I work solo and so it was difficult to deal with. I asked my client who came in for her fitting if there was any chance I could fit her haue tomorrow so I could spend more time rectifying the knot but she couldn't so I had to ask my client to come back tomorrow so I could spend the time it would need. She left and was due in tomorrow. After discussing aftercare she agreed she felt this was the issue. She hadn't been brushing it properly, was washing it every other day, not straightening it and had been horse riding and wearing a hat therefore I think these factors have worked to create this mega mass of a knot! Anyway I've just received a message off her saying that she's very unhappy I did not sort it for her and had been to see a hairdresser to get it removed instead and that the hairdresser had told get it was a product issue and I should issue her a refund !!! I've offered to cover the cost of the hairdresser but I don't believe I should have to refund her? I'd be interested to know what others think? Thanks x

It sounds as though her hair has become matted because she has perhaps left it wet and gone to bed without drying it or plaiting it or her natural hair could be naturally quite tangly? Was the knot on the extensions or at the roots? could also be down to harsh rubbing whilst washing , sounds like poor aftercare. hair extensions take a lot of work to keep them looking nice x

Issues like this make me really cross. I would not give her a refund but ask for the hair back to be sent off to see what the prob is. Even though it sounds like she isn't caring for them but sometimes by asking for the hair back it makes them realise you are not a push over. It makes me even more angry when other salons are happy to slate you without being told all the other factors. Aaarrrgghh. Rant over! [emoji31][emoji33]

I always have a clause stating that once the client see's another stylist I will not be held responsible etc etc etc. She agreed it was an aftercare problem and was jot brushing her hair properly and as a fellow technician I think you are spot on correct. Don't feel you have to pay for her mistakes and just void her off you clientele list.

As for trading standards they would state that you would have to help and you did by offering her you earliest appointment :)

Issues like this make me really cross. I would not give her a refund but ask for the hair back to be sent off to see what the prob is. Even though it sounds like she isn't caring for them but sometimes by asking for the hair back it makes them realise you are not a push over. It makes me even more angry when other salons are happy to slate you without being told all the other factors. Aaarrrgghh. Rant over! [emoji31][emoji33]
That's how the other stylists get clients ;) Ask for the hair back and say once the manufactures have stated if its an aftercare problem or not then you will decide on a refund or her getting the hair back ;)

Latest posts

Back