Eyebrow tinting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrubadub

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking for advice on tinting white blonde eyebrows

I had a lady in today with white blonde brows, we use salon services tints so I decided to use the brown with a little grey to take out the red. I put it on the first brow and onto the second, washed the little mixing tub and wiped it off. All in all it was only on for about 2 minutes. This is how I was taught to do brows in college and have never had a problem with it. So she said it was too dark and I managed to lighten it slightly with some facial toner. To me the colour looked great and o don’t know if it was more the shock to her that it was dark.

Now my question is what would you do? It was on for such a short amount of time!

Hello! Sometimes for blondes I will only leave for a minute in total let them check and then put on again if its not dark enough for them. I would have definitely used a brown and a grey but possibly just apply and basically wipe off within a minute next time just to be on the safe side! some blondey brows absorb the colour really quick. She was probably just shocked at the before and after and shell love them once they fade in a couple of days! xx

Hello! Sometimes for blondes I will only leave for a minute in total let them check and then put on again if its not dark enough for them. I would have definitely used a brown and a grey but possibly just apply and basically wipe off within a minute next time just to be on the safe side! some blondey brows absorb the colour really quick. She was probably just shocked at the before and after and shell love them once they fade in a couple of days! xx

Thanks for the advice, we discussed doing one at a time next time and apart from the brow colour she was happy with her lashes and brow shape and has said she will book with me again so I guess that’s good! I did put a note on the system in case anyone else ends up doing them!

I do the same as bbb93 - just leave on for 1 minute and show them in a mirror. I have a really nice light brown I use which is basically the same as when I used to mix brown and grey, and I find 2 lots of 1 minute tend to be plenty, and because they see it at a halfway stage it's not too much of a shock. I also think if they did feel it was a little dark they'd know that after 1 minute it wasn't dark enough, and they'd feel it was more of their decision to go darker because they could have just requested to leave it at 1 minute.

I'm super curious about this, too. I have a client (who is an ex-hairdresser) who tints her own brows using the same color mixture she used on her head. I asked her her process and wasn't she afraid it would stain her skin? She said she puts a little lotion up to the brows and just lays the color on thick and leaves it on for 10 min. Then wipes it off, lotion and all, and has not had any issues with stains. Also, she waxes her brows AFTER this, because she once waxed before and it stung and stained. (I would guess it's also easier to see all the brow hairs by dying first)
I haven't tried it, but I'd love to start offering brow tints with my waxing services, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread! :)
The lash and brow tint I was taught in school 20 yrs ago isn't available anywhere anymore. I didn't do a lot of them to keep up with the new products but now that my clients are going grey they're starting to ask.

I do the same as bbb93 - just leave on for 1 minute and show them in a mirror. I have a really nice light brown I use which is basically the same as when I used to mix brown and grey, and I find 2 lots of 1 minute tend to be plenty, and because they see it at a halfway stage it's not too much of a shock. I also think if they did feel it was a little dark they'd know that after 1 minute it wasn't dark enough, and they'd feel it was more of their decision to go darker because they could have just requested to leave it at 1 minute.
Yeah I agree with this also, if you show them halfway through and they decide to go darker, if they want the tint on for longer and for some reason it's too dark after the second go they are less likely to complain because they decided to add more tint x

I'm super curious about this, too. I have a client (who is an ex-hairdresser) who tints her own brows using the same color mixture she used on her head. I asked her her process and wasn't she afraid it would stain her skin? She said she puts a little lotion up to the brows and just lays the color on thick and leaves it on for 10 min. Then wipes it off, lotion and all, and has not had any issues with stains. Also, she waxes her brows AFTER this, because she once waxed before and it stung and stained. (I would guess it's also easier to see all the brow hairs by dying first)
I haven't tried it, but I'd love to start offering brow tints with my waxing services, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread! :)
The lash and brow tint I was taught in school 20 yrs ago isn't available anywhere anymore. I didn't do a lot of them to keep up with the new products but now that my clients are going grey they're starting to ask.
I would definitely recommend that you go on a course for brow tinting and shaping if possible because there are so many tips you'd pick up. ALWAYS tint the brow first (of course after a patch test) tinting after a wax means the tint can go into an open pore and irritate the skin. I never used lotion around the outside, if you do that you cover potential blonde hairs that the tint could pick up, especially if a client wants thicker brows. Secondly, if you apply your tint relatively neatly and remove any messy bits with a cottonbud it shouldn't stain the skin too much. And if it does it will wash off after a couple of face cleanses. Also, if you are to wax afterwards this removes the tint from the skin usually. And obviously use a proper brow and lash tint and not hair dye ;) haha. Good luck x

I would definitely recommend that you go on a course for brow tinting and shaping if possible because there are so many tips you'd pick up. ALWAYS tint the brow first (of course after a patch test) tinting after a wax means the tint can go into an open pore and irritate the skin. I never used lotion around the outside, if you do that you cover potential blonde hairs that the tint could pick up, especially if a client wants thicker brows. Secondly, if you apply your tint relatively neatly and remove any messy bits with a cottonbud it shouldn't stain the skin too much. And if it does it will wash off after a couple of face cleanses. Also, if you are to wax afterwards this removes the tint from the skin usually. And obviously use a proper brow and lash tint and not hair dye ;) haha. Good luck x
Totally. ;) I will check around for courses... been shaping all along and have kept up good skills there, but the tinting of lashes and brows has not been requested for about 10 years and only the past few months people starting to ask again. I was surprised when the tint products were no longer available at any of my suppliers. So any brands you'd recommend? (I'm guessing the brands have education, too.)

Latest posts

Back