Eyelash extension naughtiness!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*juicylucy*

Reaction score
Hi geeks!
I'm currently studying my L3 and we are doing eyelash extensions. We are taught to separate the lashes and attach the lash onto one natural one. When I started doing this, I really struggled when separating the lashes. I ended up just looking closely at the lashes and attaching the extensions onto roots I can see without separating, basically how you apply individual lashes.
Funny thing is, my tutor (who doesn't know I do this) says that my application of the lashes is very good and has passed me in my formative. My clients are always happy with the results too, and I am finding doing the treatment a lot easier without doing the separating.
I just wondered if absolutely everyone who does lash extensions separates the lashes and if I'm really doing something wrong by not separating?

Looking forward to hearing your advice x

hi I've only been lashing for a few months now but will try & answer from my experience as a client & as a therapist.

If you dont seperate the lashes you will definately get some stuck together either little tiny ones or bigger ones - even with seperating its hard to make sure they dont get involved with each other - if they do they will turn, poke in different directions & pull as they grow ultimately annoying the hell out of your client.

your client will like the initial effect as they are longer & fuller but give her a couple of days or even a week & she wont be so happy she will constantly messing with them to sort out the irritations & that will mean they wont last too - if she has no experience of lashes she may think well these are just not for me & never have them again or she may complain to everyone that will listen!

(i believe lashes done this way are called express lashes & removal is needed after 2 weeks)

i have very little faith in anything colleges pass as they basically need you to pass to get their funding!
So depends if you just want to pass or if you want to do really good lasting lashes there is no easy way :) took me loads of practicing & i have a magnifying head lamp to make it easier to see

good luck x

I'm quite shocked that your tutor can't tell you are not isolating and she should have explained why it is so important!

When geeks on here ask for critique, one of things I ALWAYS look at is how well the lashes are isolated.

I can say that I ABSOLUTELY isolate properly and I go through the lashes at the end to make sure nothing has become stuck during the application.

Although I'm sure they look good, doing it the way you are, is not good for the clients' lashes.

Properly applied individual SP lashes (where lashes are properly separated) can be infilled indefinitely as there is no interruption to the natural lash cycle. Each natural lash can grow and shed as normal with an extension applied.

The way you are doing it means that individual lashes cannot grow or shed, as they are attached to their neighbour who will have a different growth cycle.

This is damaging and the lashes really need to be removed fortnightly to prevent problems.

The fact you have come on and asked about this, shows you are concerned so, if you want to become a great lasher with happy, repeat clients, please practice your isolating. It really is worth it in the long term.
x

Thank you so much for your replies, this has made me properly understand the importance of why the lashes need to be separated.
My tutor is not the greatest I've ever had, while we do formatives she just sits at her laptop and only gets up about twice and watches what we are doing for a minute or two and sits back down. I know what I was doing wasn't correct and now I know exactly why each lash must be separated and allowed to grow unstuck from other lashes, I will definitely be practicing the proper way to do it from now on.
Your help has been great, thank you x

Latest posts

Back