Facial Masks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
Yesterday at college we had our first facial assesments. My client had a combination skin, but as she was aged 48, and had mature skin, with wrinkes and loss of skin tone, I chose to apply a balancing non-setting mask. My tutor failed me because she said I should have applied these different masks to the different areas -

T-zone : Kaolin setting clay mask
Cheeks : Balancing non-setting mask
Neck : Hydrating non-setting mask

Now as my tutor I'm not doubting her word, after all she's the one who has to pass me :wink2: but I would love to know how those of you working with skincare systems apply your masks. Do you use several different ones, (I know Dermalogica do) or not?

:hug:

Hi there,
I'm probably not the best person to respond, as i have my NVQ assessments on Friday so will only find out then if i really do understand it all, but i would apply different masks to different areas of the face if the client's skin required it.

For e.g Kaolin is good for normal to dry skin, and i would have used this in conjunction with rose water for normal/dry areas. If the client had more normal/combination skin, you may also want to introduce a small amount of fullers earth and replace the rose water with normal water and a small amount of witch hazel. For mature skins, i would definately apply hydrating non-setting mask on the neck, to help minimise the crepey lines often observed in this area.
As for the cheeks, again it is dependent on the clients skin, and if she had some broken capillaries or anything to suggest dryness on the cheeks then i may have used a non setting mask with camamile or magnesium carbonate.

I think that you would normally find that different "zones" of a clients face will have different requirements and i would suppose it is best practise to treat each of these zones individually. I think all the tutors are looking for is that you demonstrate a knowledge that the skin is not the same all over the face and make amendments to the treatment requirements as necessary, also exhibiting a knowledge of the types of masks and ingredients used....

I hope this helps!

you will definatly need to demonstrate applying a couple of different masks where appropriate. whatever range you use this is normally the case ie a person has oily skin so you use a kaolin based setting mask, but you would not apply this to the neck, therefore a non setting mask would be applied.HTHs:biggrin:

Different systems/products/brands have their way of using their regime.

College's would follow this to the letter, once you've left you keep the basic's and tweak to your design with your choice of product range.

Either for that particular facial, it was a combination treatment.Deep cleansing, Hydrating & balancing
Assessed the clients skin & treated with appropriate products in the required area's
Or
It's a combination skin type, where different masks, lotions etc would be applied to the specifc area's instead of one product to the entire area.

HtH

XX J XX

hello i have paced my nvq2 and when we did facials if the client had a combination skin we used a combination mask same with any skin type if the client had really bad wrinkles then we would ask her if she woulf like a setting anti wrinkle mask but she would have to pay more for but we just use thalgo masks for what skin type e.g. dry oilly dehydrated combination ect and i still pace my nvq if u ask me you teacher was being a little bit picky lv angelemmy x

Latest posts

Back