Fact or fallacy-Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Digits

Reaction score
I have been told that if you wish to put a normal nail polish on top of Shellac, it won't harm either the natural nail or the Shellac. Neither would the integrity or the longevity of the Shellac be compromised, if and when the polish is removed with acetone-free remover. I would appreciate your feedback. :rolleyes:

I have been told that if you wish to put a normal nail polish on top of Shellac, it won't harm either the natural nail or the Shellac. Neither would the integrity or the longevity of the Shellac be compromised, if and when the polish is removed with acetone-free remover. I would appreciate your feedback. :rolleyes:

My mam likes to do stuff like this over the Gelish I put on her (God knows why, she never gets charged when I do her nails). It doesn't harm the Gelish but the nail varnish is prone to chips and obviously doesn't last as long as the Gelish itself. I don't see the point in it really xx

It came up when a client wanted to change colour just for one occasion. As I'm normally wearing browns, purples, pinks etc I've be wearing Lilac Longing and Grape Gum most of the time, so never felt the need to change. Thanks for your help though, kind of you to reply.

I wear CND shellac all the time but sometimes I fancy a little change for a couple of days so I stick some vinylux over the top and it doesn't affect the shellac at all. Plus also handy if you were on holiday and needed to touch up your shellac (re growth) I can then match the same colour with the vinylux until I'm back home.

Sent from Sarah ;-)

Don't change the nail polish too often, just once or twice and work fast then it's okay...each nail polish remover contains solvents, acetone free or not!

Don't change the nail polish too often, just once or twice and work fast then it's okay...each nail polish remover contains solvents, acetone free or not!
I agree. In fact I tell clients if they want a change then do it only once in a 2-3 week period. As nvc says, Removal must be fast so that the solvent has not got time to penetrate the Shellac Top Coat.

I have found that OPI doesn't cover Gelish well

When I did my shellac training I was told that if a client really wants to change their polish colour more frequently than the lifespan of some well applied shellac then they're better off going for polish rather than shellac in the first place.

When I did my shellac training I was told that if a client really wants to change their polish colour more frequently than the lifespan of some well applied shellac then they're better off going for polish rather than shellac in the first place.

I personally advise clients that they are fine to paint over the shellac but I don't recommend that they remove the polish, just top up with another layer or darker colour if they want to change again. It's a risk to use polish remover and I can't guarantee it won't effect Shellac.

If someone needs extra strength to their nail and wants to frequently change their polish colour I would do a Brisa gel overlay (not brisa lite) as this is acetone resistant, polish lasts really well over it and can be changed frequently if the client desires.

We have found this to be a great solution for women whose work does not allow colored polish. For the weekday, CND Shellac in Clearly Pink provides a great look and protection for the nail but then on the occasional weekend, they can splash out with a wild color and remove it Monday morning. This has to be done with care though because even acetone-free remover contains solvents that will damage Shellac. We recommend not doing too often and not letting the remover remain on the nail any longer than necessary. Gelish's acetone resistant top coat is a little more resistant but if changing polish often is what the client wants, we recommend vinylux or other "regular" polish rather than a gel polish.

I have a client who likes to do this after a while, she used nails inc on top and the shellac underneath changed colour went from light pink to lime green when I removed the polish to change the shellac lol

Latest posts

Back