Failed perm assessment...gutted!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Emma-Jayne

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

whoops pressed post!

so i finally managed to get a model for my perming assessment. I wound all the rods doing what i thought was quite a good job, only to have my tutor inform me that i needed to start again as i didn't have enough tension and my sections were to wide...i felt like running out and crying! anyway i started winding again but i still couldn't get enough tension so in the end my tutor wound the rods and i carried on with the perm.

Anyway I've been practising all day on my block and i just can't seem to get the right tension, do any of you have any tips because im getting sooo frustrated :(

Practise, practise, practise!!

I feel for you. I've started perms on my hairdressing course. I spent a few hours last night practicing on my block and I just can't get the tension right either. When I roll the rod the hair is lose at sides so I'm going to have to spend a lot more nights practicing.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Fine sections, and wobble the rods as needed. Other than that and practice there isn't much help to give. Just don't get down about it. Keep trying xoxo

thanks for your encouragement :) i feel like chucking this doll out the window...im sure she's laughing at me!

do u have to do perms to pass? when i did my nvq we didnt have to do it....i did do perms and was told i would pass but when the time came they said it wasnt mandatory so didnt bother!!mind you i didnt trust our head of hairdressin as far as i could throw him!! a lot made complaints about him:(

small sections and dont drag them as it will be loose at the root! x

do u have to do perms to pass? when i did my nvq we didnt have to do it....i did do perms and was told i would pass but when the time came they said it wasnt mandatory so didnt bother!!mind you i didnt trust our head of hairdressin as far as i could throw him!! a lot made complaints about him:(

yes perming was an optional module but the college decided that we should all do it. mind you its nearly impossible to get models to have perms, another reason why i was so gutted...i might not get another one!

Luckily I already have a fair bit of experience with perming as I did nvq level 1 and I had the devils equivilent as my tutor who would be watching over my shoulder! Lol..

I agree with the above post, fine sections & wiggle accordingly!

You will get it, its just fiddley at first

Xx

small sections and dont drag them as it will be loose at the root! x

i think that's what i was doing wrong because they did feel fairly loose x

i tell you what, if anybody ever accuses hairdressers of being dumb i will hand them a box of perm rods and tell them to wind a nine section...grrr

As above fine sections, rule of thumb is half the width an 3/4 of the length of the rod your using, if that makes sense, also pull the section away from you as you roll this will give you good even tension aswell as wiggling :)

just an update, I've been practising like mad on my block and now i think I've finally nailed it - just need to do some on real people :)

thanks for all your help and encouragement xx

Latest posts

Back