Fair treatment at work!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlePearl

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm really, really struggling in my new job. I am qualified to Level 2, and have undertaken a Level 3 apprenticeship at a local salon. I'm being paid £2.68 an hour, and being left on my own to run the salon/keyholding/not being paid for my one and a half days a week at college. I don't want to lose my placement, but my employer won't pay any more! I find this really, really frustrating, as I am qualified to a Level 2 standard, and there are other apprentice's I know in the local area who are getting AT LEAST £100 a week! What should I do? I have tried talking to my employer, but she says I knew what she was willing to pay before I started, which is true, but I expected that to be a trial wage. And I can't leave a quarter of the way through, it's a complete waste then.

Please advice! :cry:

Whilst you may be doing a great job, it is your employers choice whether she pays you above the minimum apprentice wage and by the sounds of it she isn't going to.

Don't let it get you down as this will prove as invaluable experience for you and it also shows you are committed and passionate about working in the beauty industry. I would stick it out until the end of your course and make a decision whether you would like to stay or move onto something else xx

Definitely stick with it if you can afford to. Apprenticeships are a great opportunity to get qualified and be able to approach future employers having got some genuine salon experience behind you. The biggest hurdle post college is a lack of employed experience but at least if you stick with the apprenticeship you won't be as likely to have that obstacle when you look for a job after qualifying. I agree that being asked to be a key holder is a bit much but it sounds like overall you have a lot to gain from being there.

Latest posts

Back