Fast track hairdressing & salon/freelance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luanndanielle

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am due to start a fast track intensive hairdressing course in January as this is the most suitable option for me, as opposed to going to college full time.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these and how they are regarded within the industry and whether it would affect me getting a job within a salon?

Also, speaking of salons - ideally I want to be freelance/mobile but I'm not sure which option is better. Are you kept more up to date with styles & techniques by working in a salon? Pro's and con's of each?

I'm completely new so please be nice!

In my honest opinion a fast track course will make u a hairdresser on paper only... Do u feel yourself that you will walk out of a fast track course ready to do every aspect of hair confidently and be fully educated in colouring/cutting ? All a fast track course does is give you the paper work not the experience... Sorry, but anyone iv ever had for a trade test that completed a fast track course as been pretty useless as a stylist, you will need a job as an assistant for a few years first ,,, it's better to excel as an assistant and learn all you can instead of a bad stylist, sorry if this comes across harse I don't intend it that way, but there's just absolutely no way you will be a good fully functioning free lance stylist with out having first getting salon experience if you going to do it, do it properly x

How long is this fast track course for?
What exactly does it cover?

I strongly feel after a fast track you won't be experienced enough to go it alone mobile.

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

Hi I'm new and sorry to jump in but what is a fast track hairdressing course? Where do you do that?

Realistically, you'll need further training before you have enough knowledge and experience to work alone.

Fast track hairdressing is a bit like completing a one day driving course having never sat in a car before. You'll probably pass the test but it won't make you a good and competent driver. Only several hundred hours of driving can do that!

Ahh never heard of a fast track course for hairdressing before

In all honesty I wouldnt employ someone fresh off a course like this. I would retrain you and make you do NVQ, this all depending on age aswell. Unfortunately there's plenty of hairdresser seeking employment who have done apprenticeships, worked in salons and had salon experience who I could employ as junior stylist.

Going mobile seems to be a popular one, do a course and go mobile. How do you grow? Progress? Who do you learn from? What if something goes wrong or your not sure, who do you ask?

Course are a stepping stone, a very first baby step, in your career. There's a big long road to go on after.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Realistically, you'll need further training before you have enough knowledge and experience to work alone.

Fast track hairdressing is a bit like completing a one day driving course having never sat in a car before. You'll probably pass the test but it won't make you a good and competent driver. Only several hundred hours of driving can do that!

Lol I didn't read your post but just typed something about learning to drive in one day or over 1 year. Great minds and all that lol.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I would hope that after you can get a spot in a salon as work experience. ... look up colour houses and go to training... do as many other courses as you can constantly use the internet to build you knowledge. .. its so hard to do things the correct way as life gets in the way so these courses are great to get you in, they just cant cover enough for you to go out on your own straight away...
Good luck, my hair journey hasn't been ideal either but i put myself out there worked my ass of use every spare minute between kids and work to add on more skills and experience and im going back to college to do my cert 4 next year just be with other like minded people and i attend as many courses as i can on colour. X

I'm doing a fast track NVQ level 2 and 3 and the course is brilliant I don't think I'd be feel confident enough to go into people's homes after and cut and colour hair because there'll be no one there to ask when you're stuck. But I think it's exactly the same with these short hair extensions courses and a lots of other learning. You get the theory and the piece of paper but you don't really know what you're doing until you've done a good amount of heads.

What I would do if I was you is maybe do basic freelance and volunteer in a salon part time after your course then you get the best of both worlds?

I also don't really think that full time college vs fast track is any better or worse. My friend is doing level 2 full time as an adult leaner in college and I'm doing the fast track 2 and 3 part time and we are always comparing notes and she's really regretting choosing that option over mine. But then every teaching institution is different.

I've come across a lot of hairdressers and for me the best ones are those with experience, creativity and a continued willingness to learn regardless of where or how they got their qualifications x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing a fast track NVQ level 2 and 3 and the course is brilliant I don't think I'd be feel confident enough to go into people's homes after and cut and colour hair because there'll be no one there to ask when you're stuck. But I think it's exactly the same with these short hair extensions courses and a lots of other learning. You get the theory and the piece of paper but you don't really know what you're doing until you've done a good amount of heads.

What I would do if I was you is maybe do basic freelance and volunteer in a salon part time after your course then you get the best of both worlds?

I also don't really think that full time college vs fast track is any better or worse. My friend is doing level 2 full time as an adult leaner in college and I'm doing the fast track 2 and 3 part time and we are always comparing notes and she's really regretting choosing that option over mine. But then every teaching institution is different.

I've come across a lot of hairdressers and for me the best ones are those with experience, creativity and a continued willingness to learn regardless of where or how they got their qualifications x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think 2 day hair extension courses can be compared to a fast track hairdressing course.

Hair extensions are very repetitive with application. I did a 2 day hair extension course a couple of years ago after being in the hairdressing industry for 8 years.
Obviously you pick up more confidence as time goes on.

With any NVQ/learning every aspect of hairdressing your going to need training after x

Wow I didn't see all the responses on here. I didn't recieve any notifications weirdly. Thank you all for responding.

I had already decided that the best route would be to apply for jobs in salons afterwards as assistant or apprentice to gain experience and improve skills etc. It is very intense and fast moving and I wouldn't feel confident going freelance straight away after this. I think you only get better/good enough by working in a salon. But again, I can only know this by experiencing the course first hand.

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back