Fed Up!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb Doyle

Reaction score
Sooo fed up need advice, sorry might go on a bit but anyway, I have an employee who has been with me for nearly a year now, lovely girl but is really lazy, is not a team player & hates cleaning. She has had a few warnings over these issues so had a chat about her attitude and that I noticed she didn't seem to be enjoying the job, so basically gave her a bit of an ultimatum, does she want to do beauty or not? and that I need a answer by the end of the week. I know that sounds quite harsh but my salon isn't big and clients had picked up on her can't be bothered attitude & had a few complaints about her work too. She tells me the end of the week that she doesn't want to do beauty, I say OK I'm not going to ask you to go now as I need to replace you and train someone else up first. (Now got my new employee in place and I'm in the process of traning her). She has now said that she wants to stay!!! I am taking on extra staff on but I didn't expect this. Spoke to my hubby and first he said NO she should go and then we thought better the devil you know, lets tell her she is on a trail period with retraining, her attitude has to improve and she has to try and show me she is committed, told all this Friday morning. WELL I left the salon early on Friday to go away for the weekend and as I drove away she sneaking out to the shop leaving my other therapist who was in the middle of a fake bake treatment on her own, so one to answer phone etc...Rang my therapist who was in charge on Saturday to see how things went and she has informed me that she had done some nail repairs and a re varnish on a client and never charged her for it and didn't help out with the new employee as I had asked her too. I am fuming and don't know what to do, my hubby thinks I should tell her I can't trust her any more and I will not be keeping her on as we have given her enough chances in the past.

Please help & thanks for reading this..

Debs xxx

Personally, I would challenage her, listen to her reasons and then explain to her that her trial period has ended sooner than anticipated cos she breached your trust.
You have given her a fair chance and she has chosen not to respond in the correct manner. You will be far better off employing somebody who is eager to work and wants to train and do their best than somebody who is only interested in doing as little work as poss and reciving a pay cheque at the end of the week.

Hope everything works out well:Love:

I know I'm not really experienced enough to give advice on this but it sounds to me like you've given her another chance and she blew it, It doesn't sound like she'll change if you give her another.

I think since it's her adittude that's the problem you need to let her go. If it was just inexperience I'd say give her some time, but she's not interested in the work so she'll never be good.

Thanks for the replies and advice they help lots. Went to bed with a bad headache and got up with one!! The stresses of running staff is a nightmare and it only takes one of them to upset the team and it causes may hem. Sounds like I have tons of staff and I only have three! Think thats why its harder as we work so close together. I'm going to call her into the salon today as we are closed on Mondays and let her go don't want to do it while the others are there. Not looking forward to it:Scared: :Scared: :Scared: :Scared:

Debs xxxxx

Just be careful! You must go down the correct disciplinary route or she could take you to an industrial tribunal. They should have received a verbal warning and two written warnings before they are dismissed. Or you can dismiss them earlier if they have done something really our of order (sorry brain not working,can't think of the proper term).

Just be careful! You must go down the correct disciplinary route or she could take you to an industrial tribunal. They should have received a verbal warning and two written warnings before they are dismissed. Or you can dismiss them earlier if they have done something really our of order (sorry brain not working,can't think of the proper term).

She has had one verbal warning, a verbal written warning and a final written warning so I think I've covered it with her?? and she hasn't been with me over a year yet, so I'm OK? I think I will ring ACAS anyway as she wanted to leave originally. Let you know in a mo...

if you gave her a contract and then had it changed to include the 'new trial period' then you should be ok.
i used to work for a large insurance company, everyone who was taken on was given a trial of 6 months, if at anytime during those 6 months they wanted me to leave then they only had to give me 1 weeks notice, and vice versa. however, it was written into the contract, that's essential.

Just spoken to ACAS and all sorted out... Still feel really crap though, but its got to be done:sad: .

Debs xxx

It's a horrible thing to do, but if she isn't cutting the mustard then she's affecting your business as a whole and needs to go. Good luck hun.

Well I let her go & hated every second of it and spent most of the afternoon shaking :sad:. I suppose i just got to get over it and get on with it, not to sure how I'm going to handle all the questions from my clients as we hadn't told them that she was leaving originally.
I did have a bit of a laugh at the end of the day though, I had already had interviews in place for part time nail tech today. Anyway this nice lady comes in for her interview and she had told me on the phone that she had been doing nails for some years and loves them. I thought fantastic just what I need, got Jenny one of my girls to come in as a model for her and I couldn't believe what I saw!!! Don't mean to sound horrible but they were really bad, had to laugh about it otherwise coz if I didn't I think I would be having a nervous breakdown by now.

Thanks again for all you replies.

Debs xxx

Today is over now and you have sorted out the problem in the best way poss. You can look forward to the future now and you don't have to carry this girl anymore. The atmosphere will be tons better and you will eventually find somebody who works with you all as a team:Love: take care hun and don't worry about this girl - she hasn't worried about you and your business:Love:

Today is over now and you have sorted out the problem in the best way poss. You can look forward to the future now and you don't have to carry this girl anymore. The atmosphere will be tons better and you will eventually find somebody who works with you all as a team:Love: take care hun and don't worry about this girl - she hasn't worried about you and your business:Love:

Thank you sooo much for that you have made my day already. You are right I will look to the future and I am great believer that things happen for a reason. So I'm off to work with less staff but with no more headaches.:| :|

Debs xxxx

Deb Doyle said:
Thank you sooo much for that you have made my day already. You are right I will look to the future and I am great believer that things happen for a reason. So I'm off to work with less staff but with no more headaches.:| :|

Debs xxxx
How have things gone today? - do you feel any better? :hug:

Latest posts

Back