Feel priced out before I even start

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Jenna*

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been out of the industry for nearly 3 years now after becoming a mum to my little girl :green:
I carried on doing mine, familes and friends nails and treatments and i'm looking to start setting up mobile again to work evenings and weekends.
My problem is the prices techs are charging in my local area I just don't think I can compete with it and why would a new customer choose me over someone else cheaper??
For example I was looking to charge £25 for a full set of CND acrylic or Brisa
Shellac (once I get more colours I only have 2 at the mo!!) I was going to charge £15-£20
Is this too expensive do you think?

Now theres a mobile tech advertising a full set acrylic with shellac for £20??? It can't be Shellac surely :eek:

Can anyone recommend I use a cheaper brand to get started or should I stick with what I no and trust and just add little by little. I don't have the budget to go out and buy 10 Shellac colours so i'm just buying little bits when I can. I just don't no if it's pointless :( Sorry for the essay! lol x

stick to the brand you know and love! focus on quality, quality of service and quality of customer care!

Personally i'd pay the extra and know that i am getting a great service, it beats cheap everytime!

Good luck xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek mobile app

There has been some discussion about this lately, peip charging £10 for shellac etc, its just ridiculous!! People who have invested in proper training and genuine products are worth more than this and charge accordingly, these people doing it for silly money won't last long or will put their prices up when they see no profit coming in! Charge what you are worth and be the best, that's what will keep your customers coming back :)

I charges £27.50 for clear brisa lite sculpts and if they have shellac over them to £10 plus more for art etc. £32.50 for French sculpts.

For shellac one colour its £22 nails or toes more for art etc etc

These prices are in the high range for my area

I charge more than some places round here but people come too me for my good work and for my art as I do stuff they can't get elsewhere, plus they like the relaxing feeling and no rush I give them.

What I'm saying is don't undercharge, it will be hard to put your prices up later on, charge what you are worth, ok if starting back up, do an offer like nails and toes together shellac price, free art, free crystals, do a loyalty scheme and recommend a friend.

Good luck, it will be worth it in the end

Last edited:
I'm about to do my Gelish training and have already set my prices. I had a scout about for what people locally were doing and then set my price at the higher end of the scale with an introductory offer for a month. I have been clear of the dates the Introductory offer will run and how much the normal price will be. I've already had 4 bookings and the price for the introductory is still higher than some local people are charging. Charge for your worth and your training and the quality of the products you're using.
Personally, if something is too cheap, I question why. I decided my prices around that. Good Luck!! :hug:

Exactly what Maz and the others have said.

when starting up I was really worried about prices, but because I deliver a great service, it's relaxing in my salon, i chat to the client and I'm friendly plus they love the art i do too they are not worried about price. (this is what my ladies have told me, lol)

Plus if you charge too cheaply you will get "Those sort of clients" IYGWIM, you know the ones who want summit for nothing and everytime there is a problem they'll expect you to fix it for free if it wasn't your fault.

I've found because I'm not dirt cheap my clientèle are ladies who are lovely and honest.

forget the saddos who charge £5-£10 for shellac or gelish, thye are not in it for the long haul. If you are serious about this stick to your guns and charge what you think is a fair and decent price.

Latest posts

Back