Feeling confused!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautG

Reaction score
Hello geeks

I'm just wanting people's opinions...I have a client for gel nails who comes around every 2 weeks, we get on well & always have a good chat, last time she was in (few weeks ago) she said she would text me for her appointment as she didn't have her diary on her, she also didn't have the correct amount of money so I just said to bring it to her next appointment as she is usually very reliable, she owes £5.
Well I haven't heard off her now for about 3 weeks but we're friends on facebook & she put a picture on the other day & I've seen she's had her nails done!

Is it wrong that I feel annoyed about this? I know £5 isn't much but you couldn't go into a shop & buy something without the right money so why would she think this is ok?!
Would you contact her? I also just can't work out why I've not heard from her, very confusing!

Thanks in advance

It's tricky as you don't want to look like you are begging for her custom or that you are really annoyed (even though you have a right to be after doing her a favour by trusting her to pay back the money). I think it would also depend on how friendly you are with her. If that's the case you could casually ask if there was something she didn't like about the last service. Personally I'd let it go and just be curt but polite with her if she's on your FB page. Clients sometimes do shop around and go to other salons, but I'm sure she'll come back once she works out the benefits she's had with your service.

I don't think your wrong to feel a little put out, what it does to us as a therapist, is question our service & try & second guess if we've done something they perhaps didn't like etc. but it happens & I like to compare it to my supermarket shop, as in sometimes I go to sainsburys other weeks I like morrisons or Lidl! For no particular reason either! I would just keep in mind that you are running a business & yes some clients do become friendly with but this is such the nature of our work. ( but do you see her other than to do her nails!? ) I would just drop her a casual text saying something along the lines of ..... Hi, hope all is ok, when it's convienient for you could you please pop the outstanding balance of £5 from your last treatment, many thanks!

Thank you for your replies, yes very true a lot of clients like to shop around but it does make you question if there was something wrong with the last service. I think it's just annoyed me more because I did feel like I could trust her which is why I wasn't overly bothered when she said she didn't have enough money. I don't see her other than her having treatments so I think I may just send a polite text about the money & if I don't hear back I guess I will have to put it down to experience!

Just bear in mind that clients have lives outside of their treatments with us. If they're working away and have a free evening they might go somewhere nearby and get their nails done. Especially if they haven't got something booked in!

We can be the perfect therapist and they might still go elsewhere.

Regarding the money. Don't let it go x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your reply, yes very true :) x

What's happened? Did you get the rest if your money BeautG?

Clients do like to try other places but I think will always come back eventually if they like what you do. I had 3 in today that I would consider regulars but thought I had lost them as expected to see them at beginning of month. Two had just left it much longer than normal between appointments and one had gone elsewhere just 2 weeks ago and was really unhappy with her haircut. not sure why she didn't come to me as she said she really liked how I did it last time but didn't feel it was my business to ask & didn't want to make her feel awkward. its up to her where she goes. I just acted as normal, was friendly and chatty and hopefully she won't go elsewhere next time!
It's hard not to take it personally but sometimes people are curious to try other places. I'm sure your client will come back, when she does just say it's nice to see her, what's she been up to etc, and just add the £5 onto the bill without even mentioning it and if she questions the amount just remind her it was the amount outstanding from her last appointment in a friendly voice, I doubt she would refuse to pay!

No I still haven't had the money, I sent her a friendly text which I know she read (iMessage) but haven't heard from her so I guess I will have to put it down to experience! I'm am annoyed though that people think they can be so rude! x

Send her an invoice.

I bloody would! There's a reason you charge what you do and not £5 less so why she thinks she can get away with paying less is beyond me. People like this really annoy me!

I was once 50p short on a nail treatment and my therapist waited so my boyfriend could drive and drop it off to me! I felt a bit upset but putting myself in your shoes, I would make sure that I try and get the money back, it's not right someone doing that and I should have been more organised all those years ago x

I wouldn't take it to heart, I had a regular client come in the other day who I haven't seen in a month or so and she said straight away 'oh so good to see you I had such an expensive month in feb so it's good to be back!'

You just never know. Maybe a friend gave her a voucher for somewhere else? Or she wanted her nails done on a day you don't work? Don't beat yourself up, I'm sure your service was a high standard.

I would give her a few days regarding the money and then send her another 'hi! Not sure if you got my last text? Just wondered if you were able to pop that £5 in? Thanks again!'

I think some feel embarrassed if they have been somewhere else and feel too awkward to come back. I saw a client at a party last night, she is a school mum I know, not seen her since sept so knew she had been elsewhere as she is normally every 8 weeks or so, her daughter had been in this week but she didn't come in to collect her, and when I saw her last night I knew she felt awkward. I just went up to her and said hello, how are you with a big smile, she straight away apologised for not being in and said she had it done in London near her work coz of time. I just said don't be silly, it's not a problem and changed the subject to non hair related stuff.
Wether she will be back or not I don't know but just didn't want her to feel I was holding it against her as I hate atmospheres!

Since she hasn't replied to the first text I'd probably send another subtle one to her along the lines of, 'hey how's things, I sent you a text the other day regarding the £5, not like you not to reply, hope all's okay'

If she's any sense of guilt about her, not being rude to her might actually make her think daaamm I need to pop in, if it doesn't I don't really know what to suggest in a professional manner... The last time someone did this to me was over £26 and I chucked a drink over her when I was out one night 😣😂

Obviously not in the slightest bit professional but it had gone on for quite a While and it wouldn't have mattered if it was £2 or £200 it was the principle of it all .

Funnily enough, about a Year later she saw me out again, took me to one side and apologised and also gave me the money. Turned out she'd been having a Terrible time had got into lots of debt and I came at the bottom of the list of importance, I actually felt sad for her as prior to that she'd seemed quite comfortable financially but you never know what's going on once the doors are closed.

Difficult situation though 😥

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back