Feeling disheartened and thinking of giving up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliA

Reaction score
So I've done two nano applications this week and both took 5 hours!! I also wasn't happy with the result of the second (yesterday) and haven't stopped thinking "shoulda woulda coulda'.
I've been doing a 'looking for models' discount, so both ladies were understanding, but feel I don't know if I would be able to go any faster. The main thing that slows me down is having to redo the sections each time, ones too thick or too thin as it seems 3 hairs too many or too less is all it takes to need to re section! Maybe I'm just not cut out for nanos.

My question is before giving up completely should I try training in la weave? Its meant to be much quicker? TIA

Hi @CharliA!

It's completely normal to take a bit longer on fittings when you've first trained, you're still learning the ropes and getting used to time management. Speed will come with experience, don't let the length of time it takes dishearten you. It may be worth posting some pics of your sections for us geeks to help you with!

Where did you complete your training? Some companies offer free refresher courses if you've recently trained (we do, within 3 months of completing the course!) so it may be worthwhile returning for a quick refresh.

Individual methods such as the nano rings will take longer than a weft - we train in the Celebrity Weave (LA) if you would like to come in for training!

Send us a DM for more info or call us on 020 8432 6302.

Belle Academy x

Hi Hun
I wouldn't give up, do you load your looper tool up prior to fitting? As this can be really time consuming..
Also, you've advertised for "models" because you're new to this and people will expect that :)
As for taking your strand sections; I would practice on a block head this should help you practice building up speed for taking sections. When you get comfortable with sectioning and getting the strand amounts right it will help you feel more confident xx

I
Hi @CharliA!

It's completely normal to take a bit longer on fittings when you've first trained, you're still learning the ropes and getting used to time management. Speed will come with experience, don't let the length of time it takes dishearten you. It may be worth posting some pics of your sections for us geeks to help you with!

Where did you complete your training? Some companies offer free refresher courses if you've recently trained (we do, within 3 months of completing the course!) so it may be worthwhile returning for a quick refresh.

Individual methods such as the nano rings will take longer than a weft - we train in the Celebrity Weave (LA) if you would like to come in for training!

Belle Academy x

Thanks i trained with your company but years ago then had a baby etc so didn't do anything with it. Now she is older i really wanted to get going with it. I didnt take photos of the sections. But I'll post a before photo, photo of the line and the finished project. .
Hi @CharliA!

Belle Academy x

I learnt i shouldve thinned the blunt ends of her hair before starting. Should've used more hair and maybe just one ombre colour (& over rode her choice) but feel so awful it didnt turn out good.

Attachments

• Collage 2017-06-16 12_30_04.jpg
    Collage 2017-06-16 12_30_04.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 97
Than
Hi Hun
I wouldn't give up, do you load your looper tool up prior to fitting? As this can be really time consuming..
Also, you've advertised for "models" because you're new to this and people will expect that :)
As for taking your strand sections; I would practice on a block head this should help you practice building up speed for taking sections. When you get comfortable with sectioning and getting the strand amounts right it will help you feel more confident xx

Thanks hun, I load the looper but think I might buy and load 5 to save the stopping to reload... I have practiced on my fake head, I should definitely do more though good thinking!
Five hours is just so embarrassing and I think they are sat there thinking 'oh bl#ody hell!' I already have the hair and booking for sunday if it doesnt work out well i may just throw in the towel. I've felt that horrid pit if my stomach feeling all night at today that it wasnt good and took forever and I guess we cant all expect to be good at everything hair! Xx

Than

Thanks hun, I load the looper but think I might buy and load 5 to save the stopping to reload... I have practiced on my fake head, I should definitely do more though good thinking!
Five hours is just so embarrassing and I think they are sat there thinking 'oh bl#ody hell!' I already have the hair and booking for sunday if it doesnt work out well i may just throw in the towel. I've felt that horrid pit if my stomach feeling all night at today that it wasnt good and took forever and I guess we cant all expect to be good at everything hair! Xx
That's true, & persistence is key :) I get really nervous lately too, mainly because I suffer with anxiety anyway lol!
That's a good idea with the looper. Hope you feel better about it all soon xx

Thanks hun. I hope u do too x x

A weave is a far easier, faster fitting x

A weave is a far easier, faster fitting x
Thanks, i thought and hoped so.. I am really wanting to do a course in it now, just need the money and childcare! X

Hi, this client has naturally thick hair with blunt cut ends. Always thin the ends out before starting (as you said in previous post), the other reason that you weren't happy with the outcome might be that you need more hair to match the thickness of her natural hair. How many strands or grams of hair did you use? It's always better to have too much than too little, can always use it at maintenance to replace any that may need attention. As others have said practice practice and more practice and you'll soon be wondering why you were worryingly.

Takes me 5 hours too! I also did my training before having my baby and now only doing it after coming off mat leave....I also do tape extensions and found they are so much quicker x

Takes me 5 hours too! I also did my training before having my baby and now only doing it after coming off mat leave....I also do tape extensions and found they are so much quicker x

Thanks Janie . I used 160 and was so mad at myself about not precutting the ends when i realised. Its great to hear more hair and doing the pre-cut is what more experienced ladies would have done as thinking it through after i thought that may have been where I went wrong xx
Thank you! I really hope you are right and I get better and am not just rubbish at this! Next lady is tomorrow so fingers crossed it's better!
Hi, this client has naturally thick hair with blunt cut ends. Always thin the ends out before starting (as you said in previous post), the other reason that you weren't happy with the outcome might be that you need more hair to match the thickness of her natural hair. How many strands or grams of hair did you use? It's always better to have too much than too little, can always use it at maintenance to replace any that may need attention. As others have said practice practice and more practice and you'll soon be wondering why you were worryingly.

How funny! I have had tape in my hair so know its quicker.. not sure which to train in. .That or weave..
So glad I'm not the only one that take so long! Asked another lady whos recently started how long she takes today, she said she did 120 in two hours yesterday.. Bit disheartening! Xx

How funny! I have had tape in my hair so know its quicker.. not sure which to train in. .That or weave..
So glad I'm not the only one that take so long! Asked another lady whos recently started how long she takes today, she said she did 120 in two hours yesterday.. Bit disheartening! Xx
I'd love to know how! But then I am quite a slow hairdresser in general I've recently just gone to a busy salon though so hoping I va

Don't know what happened there
Was going to say hoping I can pick my time up. I also train on Betty but have to wait till kids are in bed which doesn't give me alot of time especially if one of them wakes up lol x

Latest posts

Back