Feeling like giving up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millyspook

Reaction score
I feel like giving my business up . I've heavily invested in shellac and have about 50 colours yet only have maybe one or two regular clients for shellac . The rest of my regular clients ( by regular I mean return every two weeks) have acrylic or gel. I only have about 10 regular clients . I'm open from 9 am to 3 pm Tuesday to Friday and also do evening appointments from 6.30 pm till 10 pm on weds and Thursday . However , I just don't seem to have enough clients . I see other techs in other areas and they are flat out . What can I do to increase my business ? I have a Facebook page , twitter account , Instagram etc . I have a website , posted leaflets etc . I have had a good number if clients over the years but just can't retain them . I just don't know what I'm doing wrong

Hiya

When you get a new client what contact details do you take during the consultation. You can take an email and ask for permission to send out newsletters, you can ask if they want to receive a birthday voucher through the post etc. This way you have direct contact with your target audience.

Do you know why they don't come back? Have you had feedback? Think of the whole experience you are giving from the second they walk in your door (or you walk in their door if you're mobile), is everything the best you can make it?

When you're not with a client are you leafleting, devising a Facebook, Twitter etc campaign? Sadly, it doesn't all come easily and can take years to get yourself to a stage where you're regularly fully booked.

Have you any ideas at all why people don't come back. Would more training help? This isn't a criticism as I don't know you or your work.

Don't give up though. I'm sure other people will be able to give more advice :)

I feel like giving my business up . I've heavily invested in shellac and have about 50 colours yet only have maybe one or two regular clients for shellac . The rest of my regular clients ( by regular I mean return every two weeks) have acrylic or gel. I only have about 10 regular clients . I'm open from 9 am to 3 pm Tuesday to Friday and also do evening appointments from 6.30 pm till 10 pm on weds and Thursday . However , I just don't seem to have enough clients . I see other techs in other areas and they are flat out . What can I do to increase my business ? I have a Facebook page , twitter account , Instagram etc . I have a website , posted leaflets etc . I have had a good number if clients over the years but just can't retain them . I just don't know what I'm doing wrong

If you can't retain clients then you have a massive problem. However don't fret too much as it can be rectified, just as long as you know what the problem is, which is easier said than done in some cases. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. Sometimes we don't see fault with our own business as it's our baby. Firstly is your work upto scratch. What are your prices like in relation to competition. What are your prices like in relation to the quality of your premises. Are you presentable. Do you have hygiene problems that you are not aware of. Is there background noise during treatments and so on and so on. If you were closer I'd send my partner round to do an appraisal on your business, from kerb appeal, initial thoughts, you, quality of service, the whole kaboodle. This is what his job is and he is very good at it and has turned around numerous failing businesses.

Building a business is relentless. It's doing everything over and over again.

I always say that once I get a client through my door it is up to me to get them back again and again and again.

We have a fairly hefty consultation form which they fill in and we them give them a voucher off their next treatment. This usually brings them back a second time by which time we hope they love us and will never go anywhere else but it doesn't always work. They will go near work for treatments or near home or on the way from one to the other.

You are restricted. Your opening times are limited and your treatment menu is limited. If you are only offering nails I think you have to be the best around. You need to take your training all the way you can to separate you from every other nail tech who has bought all the colours and got a certificate on their walls!

Good advice on here. Take a step out of your business and see what the client sees, but you have to be honest!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

One thing to realise as well is that no other business is succeeding any easier than you.
Times are very hard indeed right now and all I hear from our stockists is how people are staying away.
As a nail tech you are up against the hobbyists too. It's entirely possible for clients to buy lamps and polishes from eBay and Amazon, and then learn the techniques from YouTube videos.

Wow, thanks for your replies.

Okay, I do other treatments waxing, spray tanning, eyelash/brow tinting as well as manicures, pedicures, gel, acrylic, shellac.

I work from home in a purpose built log cabin . All my clients comment on how nice it is.

I wear a uniform and do not have hygiene problems. I am always well presented.

I have trained with CND, NSI, Denise Wright, Gemma Lambert and Agnieska Anna Ceesay from Crystal Nails. I'd like to think my training is up to date and I do value the importance of good training.

I offer those hours as that is when my children are at school . I have thought about working Saturdays but did this before and it didn't make a massive difference .

I guess some clients are only ever going to come to you for one treatment as it may be for a special occasion.

I do live in a small village . The nearest town is not massive either. Maybe I'm expecting too much .

One thing I must admit I'm not great at is answers calls from clients . I may be in the middle of tescos and don't answer my phone . I hope that it goes to answer machine but sometimes clients do not leave messages . I guess that's the hardest part of the business. I need to be available on the phone 24 hours a day and always ready to chat and book appointments . How does everyone else deal with this as sometimes I find clients can call you at the craziest of times . Like 9.30pm on a Sunday eve!!

Okay, I do other treatments waxing, spray tanning, eyelash/brow tinting as well as manicures, pedicures, gel, acrylic, shellac.

I work from home in a purpose built log cabin . All my clients comment on how nice it is.

I have trained with CND, NSI, Denise Wright, Gemma Lambert and Agnieska Anna Ceesay from Crystal Nails. I'd like to think my training is up to date and I do value the importance of good training.

I offer those hours as that is when my children are at school . I have thought about working Saturdays but did this before and it didn't make a massive difference .

I guess some clients are only ever going to come to you for one treatment as it may be for a special occasion.

I do live in a small village . The nearest town is not massive either. Maybe I'm expecting too much .

One thing I must admit I'm not great at is answers calls from clients . I may be in the middle of tescos and don't answer my phone . I hope that it goes to answer machine but sometimes clients do not leave messages . I guess that's the hardest part of the business. I need to be available on the phone 24 hours a day and always ready to chat and book appointments . How does everyone else deal with this as sometimes I find clients can call you at the craziest of times . Like 9.30pm on a Sunday eve!!

Some will tell you not to answer on sundays etc but do you know what... My office is on divert to my home every evening and weekend. I've closed deals and took website bookings at 7-8pm in evenings and at weekends. If I don't answer there are thousands of others who do websites and one of those will answer and get the client.

If I i miss the phone I'll 1471 it and ring them back and say hi blah blah blah apologies I missed your call... Etc.

Yes it can be annoying when shopping, in Middle of dinner etc but for me it's part and parcel and if need be I can just discuss the basics and schedule a call back during office hours.

Personal recent experience with this is I needed a van man to collect a new sofa. Fairly large one. Obviously this is a business that all use mobiles mainly. I called about 20! And only 1 answered! I was so shocked I couldnt believe it. The one who answered got the work and the others didn't even ring back. Madness.

Last edited:

From your tone, i get the feeling that you wouldn't listen to constructive criticism anyway, so i'm out of this one thanks x

Have you tried giving leaflets to the other school mums? Or doing a leaflet drop in the village? Are there any businesses near by you could make aware of your services. Do you have a village hall you could leave cards in?
And I would definitely text or email your previous customers and hive them an incentive to return.
That's all my ideas
Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

If people are ringing you and you are missing the calls.. they will try elsewhere! You need to ring them back ASAP to ensure that it's you doing their treatments and you they're giving their money to! Answering calls and replying to texts at all hours is part and parcel of the job, and most people work between 9 and 3pm! Maybe doing a 10-6 and getting somebody to watch the kids after school would work more in your favour xo

You can't expect business to come to you. You need to go out and get it!!

If everyone else on your area seems to be busy your obviously doing something wrong (sorry to sound so blunt)

Iv looked on your fb page and to be honest you need to be posting everyday to make sure people remember you. People that like your posts then allow a wider audience to see you. Have you thought of promoting your Facebook page? Apart from Tuesday your previous posts were 11th & 3rd November. That just won't give you enough presence on social media (which is MASSIVE) why not try Instagram too? That's massive for me and a few other techs I know.

It sounds like you can't be arsed tbh. This may seem abit personal but do you need your business to work or are you financially stable without it?

I left a well paid job with various perks at the beginning of this Year to open my own salon, I had no choice I had to make it work, and I have. Iv done everything I can to build up a new business, then I work extremely hard to maintain my business and bring in more.

You only get out what you put in.

Such a hard thing nowadays to start building a clientele I've been in this buisness for 15yrs. And so lucky to have great clients who support me. Treat every client like royalty when they walk through your doors. Clients want to be made feel special and should they pay your bills.
Work hard and keep focused you will get there. It's not easy at times I'm sure you will start to build up your clientele.
Good luck xxx

Thanks for your replies . Some of them are not nice reading but I'm a big girl , I can handle it .

I think I need to work more on communication with potential new clients and answer my calls in every instant . I do want a good work/life balance but I also want a successful business so I guess something had to give .

I'm also going to email/text some previous clients with an offer to tempt them back .

Perhaps my heart hadn't fully been in the job at the moment . Your comments have given me a bit of a kick up the arse!!

From your tone, i get the feeling that you wouldn't listen to constructive criticism anyway, so i'm out of this one thanks x

Lol, it's not dragons den !!

Just a thought - Sometimes the description 'home salon', doesn't give the potential client any idea as to what facilities you actually have.
Now I'm not saying my place is perfect, but I want people to see the best of what I have. So, I have photos of my home Salon on my website which clients always comment on, plus I put that I have free easy parking, a ladies room and tea/coffee making. This is all a way to entice clients in. Then it's up to you to keep them.
Now, I don't do Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I do have all my Nail work on Pinterest. I'm glad to say that I am lucky to always be busy, but I'm sure you will swing it round and reap the rewards! Good luck :)
Here are just 2 of my pics:

Attachments

• Andrea Bonds Salon.jpg
    Andrea Bonds Salon.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAG2401.jpg
    IMAG2401.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 246
Just a thought - Sometimes the description 'home salon', doesn't give the potential client any idea as to what facilities you actually have.
Now I'm not saying my place is perfect, but I want people to see the best of what I have. So, I have photos of my home Salon on my website which clients always comment on, plus I put that I have free easy parking, a ladies room and tea/coffee making. This is all a way to entice clients in. Then it's up to you to keep them.
Now, I don't do Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I do have all my Nail work on Pinterest. I'm glad to say that I am lucky to always be busy, but I'm sure you will swing it round and reap the rewards! Good luck :)
Here are just 2 of my pics:

Thank you. I'll add some pictures of my log cabin onto my website. Thank you

You can't expect business to come to you. You need to go out and get it!!

If everyone else on your area seems to be busy your obviously doing something wrong (sorry to sound so blunt)

Iv looked on your fb page and to be honest you need to be posting everyday to make sure people remember you. People that like your posts then allow a wider audience to see you. Have you thought of promoting your Facebook page? Apart from Tuesday your previous posts were 11th & 3rd November. That just won't give you enough presence on social media (which is MASSIVE) why not try Instagram too? That's massive for me and a few other techs I know.

It sounds like you can't be arsed tbh. This may seem abit personal but do you need your business to work or are you financially stable without it?

I left a well paid job with various perks at the beginning of this Year to open my own salon, I had no choice I had to make it work, and I have. Iv done everything I can to build up a new business, then I work extremely hard to maintain my business and bring in more.

You only get out what you put in.

Hi

I don't know if everyone else in my area are busy but other nail techs in other areas are busy. I just want to be busier and the best I can be.

How did you find my facebook page by the way as it's not listed under my profile?? I know it's good to post regularly but what sort of things should I post? I don't want to bore people with relentless posts about nothing?

I'm very good on the internet. Post pictures of anything even if you have no work pictures to post. Take a nice photo of your Christmas decs or a steamy cup of latte. Anything that will make people think oh I want to go there it looks nice or oh where did I see that funny picture. Have a look through peoples fb & Instagram who post on salongeek. You might get some inspiration there xx

I must admit, I don't post on facebook half as much as other people. I only say something if I have something to say. Endless pics of a set of Shellacs is pretty boring. Amazing nail art, or something a bit different is great! If I post too much, I tend to lose a like or two.

With phone/emails/texts. Clients want us 24/7, but that doesn't mean you have to answer 24/7. Like Banner Penguin, I have picked up new clients by emailing or answering the phone as and when. Often I will be shopping and get a call asking for a facial/nails/whatever. I always answer it as I am then immediately engaging with what is potentially a new client. I may say something along the lines of "That date should be fine, but if it's okay with you, I'll call you back later to confirm". I never, ever say I'm fully booked, even if I know I am. I say "We are quite busy but I'm sure I can fit you in". I then call back and say "I'm so sorry, I'm unable to fit you in then, how about x date at x time" and so on.

I have online booking, an answer machine, mobile etc, and will divert the work phone to my mobile if I'm out of the salon for a while.

I actively encourage my clients to contact us 24/7. If they call in the middle of the night, my phone is on silent and I will answer in the morning.

It sounds like you have lost your mojo a little - a call from a client should be an opportunity. It should be exciting and invigorating - not a pain in the ar5e!!!

Good luck - it sounds that you at least appreciate the feedback you have received!

Vic x

Latest posts

Back