Feeling like it's over!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nail technology must be one of the hardest industries both in terms of skill needed to do a good job and in terms of earning a decent living. My clientelle is building but I earn nothing like I would if I was still a PA. It is certainly the poor relation in the financial world.

The best laugh is that nail technicians are paid usually between £5-£7 an hour. I saw a job in my local paper for a kitchen assistant at a school paying £7.60 an hour! I'll bear in mind that i can always wash the dishes to top up my earnings LOL.

I'll slog away for another few months but I am afraid it is not an ideal world and money pays the bills and maintains a standard of living andI need more of it!:rolleyes:

If I manage to build my earnings to what I would earn if I were still in an office, I'll be happier.

probably a bit late to be writing this now but my heart went out to you. I've found the best way of getting word about my services is to print up price lists and promo's and then walk around housing estates putting them through letter boxes. that way perspective clients can look through your charges at their leisure. i still get people ringing me now when i posted the leaflet 6 months ago.
It's a very cheap way of getting your name around and also keeps you fit! try to target the up and coming areas rather than the 'big' houses as i'm sure people there seem to have more disposable income than being mortgaged up to the hilt. hope this helps

kateyork1 said:
Hi there hun where in North Yorks are you? xx

Hi hun i currently live in a village between boroughbridge and knaresborough but six months ago i lived in Harrogate since a child.

I am definately going on a delivering mission as soon as my pricelists and flyers are done. Lol could do with losing a few of the xmas pounds!!

I am pretty sure that i can turn it around as soon as i can get a new client or two ...once i have them in my clutches they are hooked lol!!!
In the mean time i am going to focus on portfolio building ...things that i don't normally get chance to do........ possibly even do temporary cover work for some salons....although i have to say more or less all are taking a nose dive like my self at the mo......one is even selling up .........which i am tempted to buy but it's just not feasible at the mo.

All clients got a £5 discount voucher in with their Xmas cards and they worked really well and i have a few more offers in the pipe line.......

I'll keep you all posted on how it all goes............and if i get a job at the school i'll post a pic of me in uniform lol!!

diesel1978 said:
Well peeps i am really starting to feel like it's over for my career in nails and beauty.......every thing has gone downhill since the end of October. At the moment i am lucky if i earn £100 a week whichis a hell of a big drop compared to what i normally earn.
Nobody can afford to have anything done and it has taken a massive impact on my business.I still see all of my clients but not as regularly and they normally have less treatments done.
I think i am lucky to have had such a good business and clientele but now i am rapidly beginning to lose hope of it picking up again.
I refuse to be defeated but as i am the only wage earner (my prtner does'nt work but thats another story!) it looks like i have very little choice.
I'm also trying to get my head round working for the national minimum wage....eek it's hard when i know what my earning potential can be.
Oh dear am i waffling.....i do tend to when i feel down lol!!
So peeps what do i do.......am i destined to be a chip shop chick!!!!
I know you have lean times in this industry. We all go through it. I have gone from having accumulated 17 clients when I was in the salon to having no clients at all from home.

I have found it hard myself especially when you have no cash in the kitty to pay for supplies and advertising.

An idea was given to me the other day by my sister telling me to do some promotional posters and flyers. I have done some unusual nails in the past and I am going to include these on my posters.

After being a nail tech for nearly 2 years now, you would think I would have a healthy clientele but, I haven't yet. Just stay positive and keep nailing on, I am sure your clients will come back more regularly this year as before christmas anywhere people are trying to conserve their cash for buying gifts for loved ones.

I hope I have helped.

Nerida

Latest posts

Back