Feeling like it's over!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel1978

Reaction score
Well peeps i am really starting to feel like it's over for my career in nails and beauty.......every thing has gone downhill since the end of October. At the moment i am lucky if i earn £100 a week whichis a hell of a big drop compared to what i normally earn.
Nobody can afford to have anything done and it has taken a massive impact on my business.I still see all of my clients but not as regularly and they normally have less treatments done.
I think i am lucky to have had such a good business and clientele but now i am rapidly beginning to lose hope of it picking up again.
I refuse to be defeated but as i am the only wage earner (my prtner does'nt work but thats another story!) it looks like i have very little choice.
I'm also trying to get my head round working for the national minimum wage....eek it's hard when i know what my earning potential can be.
Oh dear am i waffling.....i do tend to when i feel down lol!!
So peeps what do i do.......am i destined to be a chip shop chick!!!!

its hard at the mo hun... nobody seems to want to spend!!!! :( why not try working a second job part time, this is what i did. i worked 5 days in the salon, 2 nites(4 hours) and sunday in the call centre for the local ambulance service. gave me that bit of regular money that i needed to keep sum bills paid and gave me plenty of time in the salon with my clients. Im thinking of going back to doing this in the new year when it goes quiet again,(maybe tesco this time!!) if nothing else it varies my working life a bit!!!! xx

mmm i am defo thinking about doing a couple of days in another job. I just can't deem to find one that will work around the kids and is only a couple of days. I have been on all the websites and i am drawing a blank at the mo.

Hope things get better soonx

Hope things pick up for you soon xxx

I'm sorry you're having a rough time at the moment mate :hug:

Will getting a part-time job really help, in the early days I looked at getting a part time job but they only pay £5odd an hour, so 4 hours a day only paid me £20! I can earn nearly that with one rebalance with only takes 2 hours.

Do you need to do a push on advertising, get your name back out there again? If there is no cash coming in it can seem like a bad idea but you have to speculate to accumulate (apparantly :lol: )

I did my Christmas cards at the beginning of December, I sent one to every client with a December newsletter in it spouting on about my new stuff and products etc. I've had 3 clients phone and book whilst thanking me for my card, and I've made the cost of the cards and postage back already.

I know it's close to Christmas but why not give it a go. I got some Christmas cards from Sainsburys the other day (£4 for 30) - one quick whiz round in the car to deliver them (to save on stamps). It must just be the reminder your clients need

:hug:

I am looking at all angles lol.....the 4 hours for £20 really put me off lol!!!
Last week i have sent out £5 gift vouchers to a couple of retail stores to be used by the staff (no response as of yet)

2 weeks ago i put nails on offer at only £20 per ser (norm £35) for one week only on a first come first served basis, worked well my phone did'nt stop ringing.

last week i recieved my business visa statement ...i had spent more than i had earnt!!

This week i have been sending client xmas cards out including £5 discount vouchers ..........it has been a very good incentive.

Advertising is continually done through out the year but can honestly say i have only ever got 3 clients from this advertising

My best form of advertising is WOM. Have never lost a client yet. (touch wood!)

However one of my friendsd made me think the other day...she said to me it's the quality of clients that i have lol.

oh oh oh oh what to do!!!

diesel1978 said:
Advertising is continually done through out the year but can honestly say i have only ever got 3 clients from this advertising

What type of advertising is it? If it's only given you 3 clients, sounds like it's not worth the spend. Would you be better using the money on something less often but more impactful (is that actually a word or am I making them up again :lol: )

diesel1978 said:
My best form of advertising is WOM. Have never lost a client yet. (touch wood!)

Hell yes! I'm assuming you're offering a refer a friend incentive?

diesel1978 said:
However one of my friendsd made me think the other day...she said to me it's the quality of clients that i have lol.

:lol: are they all really well behaved, regular Solar Oilers (I'm at it again!), no problems, no lifting - while it's great for the ego to product great nails that stay on, it's a bummer for the purse :wink2:

Don't give up Chick, it'll turn round again I'm sure - stick at it :hug:

Hi HUn

the advertising is the local paper and the on your door step mag

refer a friend is always used and always works well lol

as for the regulars yeah they are all good solar oilers ......lefting very rarely etc.
My friend meant more along the lines of i need clients who are not worried about money......now where do i find those lol!!!

i am sure it will turn it's self around........i will not be defeated..........just feelin a ickle bit sorry for ones self

Hun I felt like you a few months back. And I really waan't expecting December to do much. It's not been as busy as it has been in past years, but this Dec has been a hell of a lot better than I expected.

Apart from WOM, I get most of my business from Yell.com - a lot of people use it when at work and phone up for last minute bookings. Costs about £150 per year for a paid ad, but you can get a free line listing too. I also do well out of the Thomson Local, there is less competition than in Yellow Pages so you don't need to go for a huge ad. YP is too big now and women tend to prefer Thomson as it's smaller and easier to use.

Trouble with doing cheap offers is it is only short term trade. You need to charge more to attract the loyal clients, but boy you have to love them to death in return for them paying a premium.

But business is slow at the moment and I fear a lot of people are feeling just like you at the moment. Hope you can get it sorted hun.

i really feel for you and can sympothise like you the beginning of the year i was doing well earning good money now it has trailed off scince september time i have alot of regulars who have been with me scince april but new clients are very few and far between i have 2 paid ads one in preston yellow pages and one in liverpool yellow pages as souhtport gets both.
i am busy next week and the week before new year but i know its going to be even worse in january.
i have really been thinking about what to do and even going the "cuticles" way but that means leaving the product i use and love and i done want to do that but earning a crust is outwaying company loyalty because i like all of you i am so broke and need the extra business, i really do not want to do anything else but nails.

diesel1978 said:
Hi HUn

the advertising is the local paper and the on your door step mag

refer a friend is always used and always works well lol

as for the regulars yeah they are all good solar oilers ......lefting very rarely etc.
My friend meant more along the lines of i need clients who are not worried about money......now where do i find those lol!!!

i am sure it will turn it's self around........i will not be defeated..........just feelin a ickle bit sorry for ones self

on your door step?? whats the circulation for that have u tried local link (the mag i do) 90,000 copies delivered monthly in york? xx

pinkchicnails said:
on your door step?? whats the circulation for that have u tried local link (the mag i do) 90,000 copies delivered monthly in york? xx

no chick yorks a bit far away from me.

I have decided to just ride with the times anyway.....i have no choice......i can't quit!!! If i have to i willl do 1-2 days work in a normal job just to keep the money up!!!

The best laugh was today .........i went to do a client who had been recommended by a relative of my partner. did an absolutely fab set and even faffed for ages cos she kept changing her mind on length.
Well they were deffo worth the £35 ........only thing was she walked in to the room got her purse and handed me £20 and said that's right is'nt it........er no i replied they are £35......well she nearly died and so did i.
Simons cousin had told her that i only charged £20 ....it was'nt her fault and she was a young mum so i felt i could'nt make her pay the extra so as a goodwill gesture i let her have them at £20...............needless to say i will be having words with a certain someone!!!
Anyway at the mo £20 is better than nothing!!!:D

Trinity Nails said:
I did my Christmas cards at the beginning of December, I sent one to every client with a December newsletter in it spouting on about my new stuff and products etc. I've had 3 clients phone and book whilst thanking me for my card, and I've made the cost of the cards and postage back already.

We did the same thing at our salon!! We are running several diff promotions at the moment for sunbeds and treatments, and put our leaflets and price lists in with the christmas cards and sent them out to every client on our database who'd been into the salon, excluding people who'd only been in once.

We've had a huge response to them, it's been SO quiet the past month and now me and the other girl are fully booked til christmas and are getting January bookings in now too.

We regulary send out promotion leaflets to our clients and always get good responses. Maybe it's something you could try :D :hug: Let me know if you want any ideas on what you can offer xxxxxxxx

Hope things pick up for you.

I have had very lean moments this year at times and sometimes like yourself I will think is it worth the stress. What I have seen over the years is a there being just a few techs around who did really good nails, Then the last 2 years there just seems to be too many people offering nails, I have a mate who is an hairdresser and 5 years ago she was packed out every day now with about 30 salons in our small town she has seen a 50% drop in business other salons just offer much cheaper prices. I have always been reasonable with my prices but I refuse to drop my prices anymore, I am a good tech using the top products so £20 a set is like giving them a way imo.
I do hope things pick up for you :hug:

I wish you all the happiness and success hun for 2006 :lol:

Thanxs for all your lovely replies peeps it really is much appreciated!
Well Xmas and new year saw a bit of a boost but it was to be shortlived!!!
This week alone i have lost 2 clients who can't afford it but are booking in when the money situ changes!!
Next week as it stands i only have 2 clients booked in for friday ..i stand to earn my £50 if i am lucky.......twentl quid less if one of them cancels as she is a serial canceller!!

Another geek is kindly redesigning my pricelists and i will then get the offers mass produced and go delivering whilst i have the time!
In the mean time i am going to see what part time work i can get whether in salon or on one of the skincare counters in hoopers or debenhams....i fnot i will become a dinner lady at the local school lol

How is everyone else getting on in the new year.......

Hi there hun where in North Yorks are you? xx

I've had a few new clients and kept a few from the christmas period, so not too bad ... at the moment.

Offers that I am doing are Tans for a tenner, got a few bookings for that already. Have a spapedi and get a mini facial free, one booking already. Also pushing the nail biters bit too, and got a couple from that. I am also doing to my existing clients half price infills for every new client recommended to a full set until end Feb, got a few newies from that too.

So all in all my marketing is working ... at the moment!!!

I'd hate to see you give up hun. Have a look at the local nail salons in your area. Are they busy? If so see if they are doing any offers, check out your competition. Otherwise good luck with the job hunting!

Latest posts

Back