Feeling stressed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leenie81

Beautify
Reaction score
I have recently moved from a small shop where I was on my own and as I was busy and turning clients away so my plan was to move to a bigger shop and have someone work with me which I have done. First I had a hairdresser who was extremely unprofessional and never got back to me or clients about booking people in and I had a young girl doing level two who I was also doing a percentage deal with and she left and said she didn't like giving me half her wage . Those two are gone and now I do a perecebtage deal with a newly qualified therapist who did two clients who come together a facial that was meant to be a hour each and she did them both in 40minutes. She doesn't play music in the room when doing facials and I even bought her a nice cd and she still doesn't play it. She now said that she's not keen on facials so she's just going to do nails but I'm worried all this is not looking good for my salon? I'm thinking I'd be better off working on my own again. Any advice would be great
Thankyou

People are taking advantage of you hun,you are the boss and they need reminding of that. I think it would be good to set some rules like standard facials 1hr etc and the treatments that are going to be offered. If she doesnt like it, she can leave. I think it would be a good idea for the next employee to be hourly paid because then you have more control. Im a manager and people used to tell me what they are doing but now its either my way or the highway, its your business at the end of the day xxx

You're only the boss if you're paying them as an employee (an hourly wage through paye where you also pay holiday). It sounds like you need to be weighing up whether you want a salon where everything is done in a uniform way or whether you want a space where lots of professionals come together to bring something different to the table.

Business plan seems necessary here.

The girl who is on a percentage is new from college and is relying on me and my clients to get her busier and as she uses my price lists ect I feel she needs to stick to the times of facials ect otherwise clients will be getting short changed. She doesn't want to be employed now as I can only afford to employ her part time and that wouldn't be enough for her. I think I am too soft and expected everyone to have high standards and be passionate as I am but I have found from the few people I have had working with me it's harder to find than I thought. I get married in 2.5 weeks so I can't do anything until after my honeymoon but after that I think I will re look at what I want from staff ect

But us business owners are raking it in, and swanning around in our Gucci shoes......:p

No one will feel as passionate about your business as you!
Personally, I'd only employ.
You will then at least have 'quality control'.

Finding good, reliable staff, is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
GOOD LUCK

It's sooo hard I think I'm too soft to have and Employ and have staff [emoji85] . Red star do you employ staff? If so how many?

I've only had my salon for 3 years, and have a tiny team of 3, one of which is me!
I originally planned to rent-a-chair, but after giving it more thought, and seeing how it worked (or not) in other salons, I decided against it.

I am very precious about my profession.
I've been in hair for 35 years, and still love it.
Which is why I, like you, find it so hard when others do not seem to feel the same!
It has been IMPOSSIBLE to find good staff.
I pay above the min, but can only afford one P/T stylist, and an apprentice, who is my 'luxury item', as although the wage is small, it's not so small when you have little coming in!

Your level 2 needs more training IMO, most salons will only entertain level 3.
She is not ready to be self employed.
Ideally, encourage her to do her level 3, and work for you along side, 2/3 day's a week.
You, as her employer, can then set the standard.
If a facial is 1 1/2 hours long, then that's how long she should be taking.

If she can't/won't improve, then to be honest, you're better off getting shot, and doing the client's yourself, until the right person comes along. :D

Awww Thankyou for that. The level two girl has gone and their is just the level 3 new from college with me and a work experience girl starting. The level 3 girl said she doesn't need extra training as I offered to help her improve some of her skills and she said she doesn't want to feel like she's back at college! The work experience girl starts next week too

If it doesn't work out with the level 3 girl I will definitely Employ , I would worry though if it was a quiet period xx

But what do YOU think.
It's your salon, your reputation, your financial risk....If you think she could benefit from extra training, then extra training it is!:p
None of us EVER know EVERYTHING....New way's, improved products, different trends.....we all need to keep up.
Good luck with your work experience girl - and don't forget, start as you mean to go on! ;)

Thankyou :). I always say that, I have done beauty therapy about 16 years now and there is so much more for me to learn and extra tips o pick up along the way xx

Awww Thankyou for that. The level two girl has gone and their is just the level 3 new from college with me and a work experience girl starting. The level 3 girl said she doesn't need extra training as I offered to help her improve some of her skills and she said she doesn't want to feel like she's back at college! The work experience girl starts next week too
Hmm I wouldn't be happy with the attitude of the level three girl, even when qualified we can all improve our skills,no one is perfect! College training is just the beginning (and I teach in a college -I'm not dissing the training received but am fully aware that when the girls leave us their new employers like to train them.their way). I personally think that newly qualifiers need some time employed,working with others so they can see the industry expectations etc. I agree with the other people commenting,I would employ part time (if thats what you can afford), then you can set the standards and expectations of quality x

What should I do with the level 3 girl? She doesn't want to be employed now. I'm away for three and half weeks for my wedding and honeymoon soon so I'm not sure what to do , I already got rid of the hairdresser and the other therapist left so i worry clients will think what's wrong with the salon. I totally believe you need extra training after college, I worked at a salon when I first qualified and I used to have to stay back every Friday practice treatments on the boss, she was also a tutor and very strict but I think it has helped me a lot xx

I would sack her and hire someone more professional, x

I have worked so hard At college, when I was doing my level two I was 19 and went a worked for free it took me months I keep going back to the salon begging them to let me work there for free I just wanted the experience I worked there for a year whiles I was pregnant, I didn't get a penny,gifts or anything from the salon, what I got was fantastic skills which have payed of 10 times over, my son beau is now 14 months and I have started my level 3 now at college (I can't wait to finish) but I'll do the same thing again after i have finished, because I want to be the best therapist I can be, once I have done that I'm going to start of little e.g buy a hot stones kit, then saving up for one electrical machine then buying another until I know I'm a million present sure and what with what I'm doing then I'll move on to the body electrical machine, then when I have everything and a bunch of happy clients if I have enough money I want to open my own salon!! I would die for a opportunity, you have given this girl, it annoys me reading what you have wrote about her she sound like a spoilt brat, xx

Last edited:
Awww you sound like how I was! I think she is spoilt and I cannot understand why she doesn't want to learn new things , I think with your attitude you will go far and achieve everything you want. I just wish I wasn't so soft as I am worried it will affect my business so after my wedding I have some decisions to make xx

I hope you have a lovely wedding, it must be such a nightmare for you, but she will start effecting your salon I think your going to need to talk to her, and if she does want the support and help your offering tell her to go and work somewhere else d

Thankyou , I am very stressed and thinking a salon with staff isn't for me but I have a three year lease now xxx

O no stick at it Hun you will find the right staff soon, if I lived closer I would come and work for u x

Last edited:
So I let the girl go she refused to give me my key back until I gave her pictures of all the days in my appointment book which I refused to do. So I had to change the locks . So I go on honeymoon tomorrow and have to close the shop for two weeks [emoji85]. I Am worried as I am new to that area and she lives there and her and her family are quite rough and aggressive , also she took some of my stock with her without me knowing . I am thinking of just working on my own for the time being x

Latest posts

Back