Fibreglass/silk help needed pretty pleeease!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layrex9

Reaction score
Hello All,

My clients are mainly L&P and some gel but, I have got two ladies coming in tomorrow morning and they are both having silk nail enhancements. I did my training with CND a few months ago and we used the INM kit, but I have only ever done it on my nail training hand. Never done a set on anyone before! They would like white french tips.

So, my questions are - what happens when fibreglass/silk becomes a bit worn - can it lift like acrylic and gel can? I know this is not an expected feat but as we all know it occasionally happens! Do you tackle this in the same manner as L&P & Gel during a rebalance? Buffing behind the lifting?

Are we not meant to touch the skin with the resin as with acrylic and gel? What happens if (because it is runny) this happens? Will it matter? Or will it cause lifting in the same way?

What is to be expected when they come back requiring a re-balance - I cannot see any way I could move the white line back as you can with acrylic and gel?

How many layers of silk is safe so they will not break (I don't know whether 2-3 is strong enough?)

And finally when you do a rebalance, you fill the area of growth with a bit of resin - is there any need to reinforce this zone 3 with silk at the rebalance stage?

Thank you very very much I don't know what I would do without you! Keep on panicking probably - I am a bit worried that they will come back in a day and say "They've all fallen off!!"

Many thanks xx

Hello All,

My clients are mainly L&P and some gel but, I have got two ladies coming in tomorrow morning and they are both having silk nail enhancements. I did my training with CND a few months ago and we used the INM kit, but I have only ever done it on my nail training hand. Never done a set on anyone before! They would like white french tips.

So, my questions are - what happens when fibreglass/silk becomes a bit worn - can it lift like acrylic and gel can? Yes,...but only with reason....like L&P and gel, it will lift if not adhered to the nail plate properly. I know this is not an expected feat but as we all know it occasionally happens! Do you tackle this in the same manner as L&P & Gel during a rebalance? Buffing behind the lifting? Yep, exactly the same. don't forget to replace your fabric if you've buffed it away!

Are we not meant to touch the skin with the resin as with acrylic and gel? What happens if (because it is runny) this happens? Will it matter? Or will it cause lifting in the same way? Resin control is your key here. I prefer to use a brush with thin resin, so it goes on nice and thin and keep a thicker resin for nozzle application, then i can control where it goes, and spread with the nizzle. This way you don't flood the cuticle.Touching the skin.cuticle will have exactly the same effect as if gel or L&P touched the skin.

What is to be expected when they come back requiring a re-balance - I cannot see any way I could move the white line back as you can with acrylic and gel? USe your white gel, or a white acrylic paint to move the smile line down...sandwiched between your fibreglass layers. if using gel, cure, wipe, gently buff, and apply resin over.

How many layers of silk is safe so they will not break (I don't know whether 2-3 is strong enough?) I generally use one strip over the whole nail and one over the stress area. This should be suffiecient. Avoid any silk touching skin or cuticle as well

And finally when you do a rebalance, you fill the area of growth with a bit of resin - is there any need to reinforce this zone 3 with silk at the rebalance stage? Depends on the regrowth. A regular client with little regrwoth I would reinforce with fabric every other rebalance, if they go a bit longer in between, then yes, I would put a strip in. Your resin can chip quite easily without.

Thank you very very much I don't know what I would do without you! Keep on panicking probably - I am a bit worried that they will come back in a day and say "They've all fallen off!!"

Many thanks xx

I just love it when I get the occasional chance to do a fibreglass or silk set. there's something so 'refined' about fibreglass and silk nails....to me they are like the 'Chanel' of nails!

Some answeres above in red for you hun. Good liuck...enjoy!!

I just love it when I get the occasional chance to do a fibreglass or silk set. there's something so 'refined' about fibreglass and silk nails....to me they are like the 'Chanel' of nails!

Some answeres above in red for you hun. Good liuck...enjoy!!

Oh thank you so much that is great - especially the tip about the white gel paint - would you need to scrubfresh and liquid bond the resin before applying the gel?

Oh thank you so much that is great - especially the tip about the white gel paint - would you need to scrubfresh and liquid bond the resin before applying the gel?

OK, this is where I fail.....I'm not a Brisa (I think thats what liquidbond iis?) tech, I use Bio Sculpture POW or Akzentz POW!

But, I would ensure resin fully cured, buff gently and then use my sanitiser before applying the POW if thats any help.

Otherwise, hopefully Sandi (ValencianNails or ) or Ruth (NailsinLondon1) can offer up an opinion....both great Brisa and Fibreglass techs!

Latest posts

Back