Filing off gel colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasparila

Reaction score
Hi, Ive been doing nails for just over a year now and am struggling with the time it takes to file off gel colour for infils on acrylic. Can anyone offer me some advice please? It takes me nearly an hour :/

What grit file are you using? I use a 100 grit and it literally takes me no more than an additional 5 mins when I'm rebalancing a set.

Are you using a high enough grit file? Over acrylic or hard gel you can use a higher grit file like 100/180 grit.
I just file the majority of the colour off and then file as I would to infill and then remove the remaining colour more gently.

Good quality files make a big difference. I bought some cheap 180 files off eBay and it definitely took longer to remove then when I use my branded files. If they're too flimsy they're not very effective.

Thanks ladies, Im using Nsi 100 grit… do you think it would be any quicker with an e file?

NSI 100 grit should have gel polish removed very quickly.
Is is a new file?

If you're using a 100 grit it shouldn't be taking you an hour to just remove colour, in fact I don't think I could make it take that long if I tried. Can you talk us through exactly how you're trying to remove the colour coat.

Maybe I'm just being too careful :/ i always use a new file so am carful not to cut them.

Score the edges of your file before you begin :)

Hold on...... you say Gel Polish removal for infill.....so actually you're doing rebalance buffing, not just filing off the Gel Polish??

In that case then an hour is probably ok as you're including re-shaping and length reduction, buffing out lifting, etc.

Buffing to remove Gel Polish to replace just the colour coats is very different

Maybe I'm just being too careful :/ i always use a new file so am carful not to cut them.
You need to file your edges with another file :)

Hold on...... you say Gel Polish removal for infill.....so actually you're doing rebalance buffing, not just filing off the Gel Polish??

In that case then an hour is probably ok as you're including re-shaping and length reduction, buffing out lifting, etc.

Buffing to remove Gel Polish to replace just the colour coats is very different
My interpretation was that the filing off part took an hour (as in, before the infill process)

If an hour is the total time though, agree that's fairly normal

Im sure my files for removing colour are 80 grit... they are well rough... brilliantly quick... i then buff over with finer grit then white block...

Latest posts

Back