First colouring assessment tonight - freaking out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaPapaya

Reaction score
Just a bit of a panicked plea for help really hairGeeks!

I have my first client in for a colour consultation and t-bar tonight. She's requested low-lights and I'm ok with that. I'm supposed to be being assessed, but not sure I'll be able to as I am having a freak out!

My client is dark blonde base 6. It's coloured with pro-colour and she is saying she wants low-lights.

But for some reason I think she's confused with what low-lights are, and when I had her for a cut, she most definitely had very fine highlights (but in a caramelly colour). She didn't want me to colour her hair at that point so I didn't pay that much attention.

So for some reason if she wants lowlights I'm good with picking shades 6 and under and mixing with 6% and leaving for desired time. That'll be ok I hope?

But I'm freaking out about if she wants highlights (possibly toned highlights) - I know tint won't lift tint so I will need to bleach but my mind has completely gone blank. Seriously I've been having palpitations all morning and she's not in till 6pm tonight!! I've not done anything colourwise yet.

So can you help me out please?

If she wants normal bleached highlights, I'd just bleach with the percentage dependent on what lift she wanted? Or just use a low 3% and wait full development time of Matrix bleach?

And if she wants toned highlights, what then?! Do I bleach for full development time of the Matrix bleach we use, and then add on a colour for another 40 minutes? AHHHHH - I don't even know what products will be useful for this!!

I know my teacher was explaining something similar to my classmate on Monday and I thought she said leave bleach on for 10 minutes then put the colour on, but when I asked her what I needed to do, she had to leave :'-( so I'm none the wiser!! And I can't ask anyone for help if I want to be assessed. :)

ha-ha!!! :/ Lol I'm such a plonker, and I hope this makes sense! :)

Take a deep breath! I felt your stress reading lol

So base 6 with h/l, is base 6 tint?

Take a deep breath, stay calm, and relax. It's just an assessment. If you don't pass, it's NOT the end of the world. You try again. We learn from mistakes, and we can't expect to get everything right the first time. Even hairdressers with many years experience screw up from time to time.

With bleach, you leave it on until it has lifted to the shade you want. There's no definite time for how long it takes, but you definitely should not exceed the time stated by the manufacturer.

If you're toning, you use bleach to lift the hair to a certain level (you should never try to lift beyond pale yellow), and use the toner (usually a deposit only haircolour with a low peroxide), which is left on the hair until it has cancelled out the unwanted tones. It should not be left for too long because the hair can grab the colour of the toner, leading to unwanted results.

I hope this helps, and I hope I have told you the right things. I'm relatively new to the industry too (I am qualified, but inexperienced), and I'm going by what I was taught in college. I know your fears very well, but things will be okay whatever happens!

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
She's now at base 6 with the full head tint on yes.

Her natural is probably 8 I think. So she's already full head coloured. But wants to break up with "lowlights".

Just a bit of a panicked plea for help really hairGeeks!

I have my first client in for a colour consultation and t-bar tonight. She's requested low-lights and I'm ok with that. I'm supposed to be being assessed, but not sure I'll be able to as I am having a freak out!

My client is dark blonde base 6. It's coloured with pro-colour and she is saying she wants low-lights.

But for some reason I think she's confused with what low-lights are, and when I had her for a cut, she most definitely had very fine highlights (but in a caramelly colour). She didn't want me to colour her hair at that point so I didn't pay that much attention.

So for some reason if she wants lowlights I'm good with picking shades 6 and under and mixing with 6% and leaving for desired time. That'll be ok I hope?

But I'm freaking out about if she wants highlights (possibly toned highlights) - I know tint won't lift tint so I will need to bleach but my mind has completely gone blank. Seriously I've been having palpitations all morning and she's not in till 6pm tonight!! I've not done anything colourwise yet.

So can you help me out please?

If she wants normal bleached highlights, I'd just bleach with the percentage dependent on what lift she wanted? Or just use a low 3% and wait full development time of Matrix bleach?

And if she wants toned highlights, what then?! Do I bleach for full development time of the Matrix bleach we use, and then add on a colour for another 40 minutes? AHHHHH - I don't even know what products will be useful for this!!

I know my teacher was explaining something similar to my classmate on Monday and I thought she said leave bleach on for 10 minutes then put the colour on, but when I asked her what I needed to do, she had to leave :'-( so I'm none the wiser!! And I can't ask anyone for help if I want to be assessed. :)

ha-ha!!! :/ Lol I'm such a plonker, and I hope this makes sense! :)

Why not just wait until she comes in and you can speak to her rather tgen get worked up?

Thank you Wombats

Apologies for the stress!

I know, it's only an assessment, and I'll be fine, I just had a proper panic! I would just like to make sure I get it right! LOL!

I am also having a panic about getting the foils in as well, so I'm having an ace day already!!! :D LOL!

Why not just wait until she comes in and you can speak to her rather tgen get worked up?

Very good idea :) I will be hitting the rescue-remedy shortly!

Do you use Matrix Colourgraphics or V-Light bleach at college?

If colourgraphics, you can mix the toner in with the bleach so that it lightens and tones the hair at the same time. Saves a lots of time as you don't have to rinse off the bleach and then tone.

Hope all went well and the Bach helped you.
I'm sure you would have taken time and done the best you can with a pass or not, its all experience and that's what matters. Rarely does someone pass first time, if not by a colour choice mistake then on timings, and both will only come with practice. Xoxo

Do you use Matrix Colourgraphics or V-Light bleach at college?

If colourgraphics, you can mix the toner in with the bleach so that it lightens and tones the hair at the same time. Saves a lots of time as you don't have to rinse off the bleach and then tone.

Evening all! The Bach rescue remedy worked!

AcidPerm, I think it's v-light, to be honest, I didn't look after I did my consultation realised I didn't need to bleach I didn't look in the bleach cupboard :) - she wants highlights next time though, so I will be prepared!

Lady wanted lowlights, she actually did not have any colour on here hair - bit of grown out bleach and had left it but she was a base 6 natural.

She wanted lowlights - nice t-bar of 4BR with 3%, came out lovely. Need to work on my timings as passed by the skin of my teeth :) She was very pleased with it too, so that's good :)
Phew!

Last edited:
well done lovie xx

Well done on passing. Another tick in the box. Now breathe.... xx

Well done on passing. Another tick in the box. Now breathe.... xx

Lol I know, I think I was blinking lucky to pass tonight! Thank you :)

Must learn to do neat foils though! Mine look like I've wrapped a turkey in them!! I don't know how the others get theirs so neat!!

aw, well done! great to hear this, :hug: & you'l be so much calmer next time you'll ace it!

( PS. I read another thread (think it was the "am i slow - highlights?") one of the girls practiced continuously every day for days with conditioner to get quick & neat foils. Dedication hey :) )

Thank you! Yes I definitely need some more practice :)

Well done sweetie :) x

Well done! How long are you given for that?

Evening all! The Bach rescue remedy worked!

AcidPerm, I think it's v-light, to be honest, I didn't look after I did my consultation realised I didn't need to bleach I didn't look in the bleach cupboard :) - she wants highlights next time though, so I will be prepared!

Lady wanted lowlights, she actually did not have any colour on here hair - bit of grown out bleach and had left it but she was a base 6 natural.

She wanted highlights - nice t-bar of 4BR with 3%, came out lovely. Need to work on my timings as passed by the skin of my teeth :) She was very pleased with it too, so that's good :)
Phew!

Yey! Well done!
Neatness comes with practice, get your friends for conditioner highlights xoxo

Well done! How long are you given for that?

Do you know what, I don't actually know what timings we're supposed to do, I'd have to look in the log-book, but she ticked, within time. I reckon it took me 50 minutes, which is hellish slow - and not commercial timing in any way, for a small t-bar amount, but for a first time I can deal with that. :/

I reckon they'll start cracking down on timings soon!

Practice - will definitely be needed!

Latest posts

Back