First Gel Overlay over a set of NSS nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Well today I had something in front of me that I thought that I would never see in the little village where I work.

As most of your know I rent my Beauty space in a salon that is also used by hairdressers. Well today a lady who was having her hair done asked if I could do a "quick french polish" on her nails after her hair was done. I am pretty good with french polishes so as I was just about to take a client in for a brow wax I would look at them after this which I thought would be no problem and would be done pretty quickly!

While doing the brow wax I remember saying to the nail client in the past that her nails always looked nice when she comes and has her hair done, and she said that she has gel overlays done by a lady that she has been to for years, and I must say that they looked a really good and a professional job too.

When I came round to looking at the nails for this client she obviously had enhancements on but also a bright pink colour polish with lovely nail art on top. I asked why on earth she wanted a french polish done over such nice looking work and she said that she didnt like the nail art that had been done by her usual tech and wouldnt have time to go back to her for over a week so could I remove all the nail art and do a french polich on them.

I asked her what system was used on her nails over her nail art as none acetone varnish was having no effect at moving the nail art. She wasnt sure but she was adamant that a UV top coat wasnt applied. she also said that the enhancements were gel but a UV lamp was not needed to set them (is this poosible with gel)?!?!? Appartently a product was poured from one pot into another and accordingly applied onto her nails over tips for the enhancements. didnt want to use acetone to try and remove the nail art as I thought to myself at the time that this could be acrylic and not gel enhancements that she insisted on.

In the end I had to buff the polish and nail art off as that was the only way for it to be removed - this also took some time to do to I can tell you!

I started to apply polish for the french, and the polish was just going into the product on her nails like a sponge! There was no way that I could apply polish onto the enhancements and make a half decent looking job as I couldnt even pull an even looking stroke of polish down that nail in one go, never mind apply and pefect a decent smile with white polish.

The only option I thought of, and went with in the end (I didnt even know if it would work) was to use the Bio Sculptre Paint on White gel to see if that would look any better. It did seem to work OK, although after much panicking I think the white smiles could have been better. It did also cure Ok which I wasnt convinced it would!

I dont like to use the term NSS nails as this is something that is down to personal opinion, but I just havent got a clue what system had been used on her nails, never mind the nail art!

What else could I have done in this situation??!?!?!?

The client seemed happy with the end result but I just didnt know what to make of it!

I was glad just to get this client out in the end - so much for a "quick french polish".

Sorry for the long winded thread but just want to know what else I could have done in this kind of situation. I am fairly new to nail enhancements (been doing Bio for a few months) so just want to know what this product is likely to be and what else could I have done!

Do you have a uv top coat with the gel you could have just used that and then done the varnish??

Do you have a uv top coat with the gel you could have just used that and then done the varnish??

Thanks Scratchers.

I dont have a UV top coat at the minute, was thinking of getting some though as I believe you can also use this over a polished manicure to make the colour last a little longer - is this correct as not looked into it enough yet?

Can you also apply polich over the top of a UV top coat as well then?

I use it over the acrylic as the shine last longer and yeah you can use polish over it..

As for putting it over polish i'm not sure as i know the one i use has to be used over a rough surface using 100 grit so i don't know if it would cure properly can anyone help with this one??

Latest posts

Back