First job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerdbeauty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently finished my first year in college and got my first saloon job 6 weeks ago. I love it so far, I'm carrying out waxing, nail, tanning and tinting treatments, and they've sent me on some great training courses. However I've had a few complaints back from clients, maybe 5 since I started. My managers are great, they tell me not to worry and give me extra training, but its starting to knock my confidence a little, as every time I feel like I'm doing better another one comes in and sets me back again!

I'm just wondering if anyone else here had issues with complaints when they first started working, and how long does it take to settle in fully?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

What are the complaints regarding? Is there a pattern?

Sounds like a great job you've got there though, stick it at. It's what will shape you :)

No pattern, they've been pretty random, two for tan, one for waxing, saying there was a bit of hair left, one for shellac which didn't last, and one for a pedicure as she wasn't happy with the cuticle work!

I know that I'm so lucky to have a job that's so understanding but I just worry that if it keeps happening I'll end up losing the job!

No pattern, they've been pretty random, two for tan, one for waxing, saying there was a bit of hair left, one for shellac which didn't last, and one for a pedicure as she wasn't happy with the cuticle work!

I know that I'm so lucky to have a job that's so understanding but I just worry that if it keeps happening I'll end up losing the job!

Stick at it and take them as constructive criticism. Re: tans, that can be down to the person not prepping properly. Re: waxing, hey weve all missed a bit, maybe it wasnt quite long enough.

That's true, from now on I'm going to ask clients beforehand if they have any creams, perfumes etc on that might affect the tan. I'm going to try and not let it get to me, because I really love this job otherwise!

Do the clients know its your first job and see you as a trainee.Especially if they are regulars they may be just trying to help as such.
See it as a good thing that you are getting feed back and with the support of your employers it will make you a better therapist.
You must have been praised for work too so don't dismiss that and dwell on things you may have done wrong.

As Gillian said think about the positives and praise u receive, ask clients if they are satisfied before they are getting ready to leave, don't be afraid to go over waxing with tweezers to get the stray hairs and as for tans, sometimes clients promise they have arrived freshly showered and exfoliated with no product on but out of habit have sprayed armpits or moisturised areas without thinking or haven't been too thorough thinking it will all be fine. We all start somewhere and you are doing great, don't dwell on the negatives, take constructive criticism on board and then start fresh with the next client. I'm sure u will get there x

Oh I remember them days well first job out if college got 2 complaints for eyebrows . Knocked my confidence really badly . Used to dread going to work in case someone had rang and complained when I wasn't there . But in 5 years thats all ive had. I soon stopped worrying and feel its just something you can work on . We all have strenghs and weaknesses and learn from our mistakes . You sound like you have a good manager everything in a real salon environment takes time . Its totally different than a college salon xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Do the clients know its your first job and see you as a trainee.Especially if they are regulars they may be just trying to help as such.
See it as a good thing that you are getting feed back and with the support of your employers it will make you a better therapist.
You must have been praised for work too so don't dismiss that and dwell on things you may have done wrong.

Well I don't say that I'm new, but I'm sure it comes across, I probably don't appear as confident as the other girls. And your right, I have had plenty of happy clients too, I just get bogged down on the negatives, I'm such a perfectionist and hate doing something wrong! I'm going to try and be more positive about it! 😊

As Gillian said think about the positives and praise u receive, ask clients if they are satisfied before they are getting ready to leave, don't be afraid to go over waxing with tweezers to get the stray hairs and as for tans, sometimes clients promise they have arrived freshly showered and exfoliated with no product on but out of habit have sprayed armpits or moisturised areas without thinking or haven't been too thorough thinking it will all be fine. We all start somewhere and you are doing great, don't dwell on the negatives, take constructive criticism on board and then start fresh with the next client. I'm sure u will get there x

Thanks for that, I think I am probably being hard on myself! I had a better couple of days so far this week, so feel alot better! 😊

It sounds like your managers are being very supportive.

However, may I say that when waxing you should not miss hair. Ever.

And cuticle work is a must - attention to detail is what you need to be focusing on my lovely.

Tomorrow is another day. Five negative feedback comments is enough - be thorough and you will not go wrong!

Good luck :hug:

It sounds like your managers are being very supportive.

However, may I say that when waxing you should not miss hair. Ever.

And cuticle work is a must - attention to detail is what you need to be focusing on my lovely.

Tomorrow is another day. Five negative feedback comments is enough - be thorough and you will not go wrong!

Good luck :hug:

I completely agree re waxing! I was mortified about it, I always check at the end now to make sure I haven't missed any, and regarding the cuticle work, I did actually do it, but the client didn't feel I had done enough, so now I am more thorough. 😃

Take it as a positive! I know it's horrible getting what you think ia negative feedback, but turn it round, you are so lucky that clients are giving you feedback and your manager is supporting you!

Lots of clients will have a less than perfect treatment, moan about it to all their friends and never come back, whereas you aee finding out what you need to improve on and are getting first hand help to make you a fab therapist!

X x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Good girl .. be thorough and be excellent :hug:

Oh I remember them days well first job out if college got 2 complaints for eyebrows . Knocked my confidence really badly . Used to dread going to work in case someone had rang and complained when I wasn't there . But in 5 years thats all ive had. I soon stopped worrying and feel its just something you can work on . We all have strenghs and weaknesses and learn from our mistakes . You sound like you have a good manager everything in a real salon environment takes time . Its totally different than a college salon xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's exactly how I feel, when the phone rings I'm so worried it's another complaint! It's so different to college, I don't think college can fully prepare you for working at all! x

Take it as a positive! I know it's horrible getting what you think ia negative feedback, but turn it round, you are so lucky that clients are giving you feedback and your manager is supporting you!

Lots of clients will have a less than perfect treatment, moan about it to all their friends and never come back, whereas you aee finding out what you need to improve on and are getting first hand help to make you a fab therapist!

X x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you, you are so right! I just need to think of it in a more positive way, and all of these clients have been back for more treatments, so at least it's not lost business for the salon! x

And always do a thorough consultation - ask your salon. This allows you to identify anything that may compromise the treatment before you do it - eg if cuticles are BAD they may need more than 1 treatment to achieve desire effect in time you have. Or if hairs are short or they are shaving in between - service will not be as good. I always ask and get them to sign to say they have showered/ not wearing cream etc before a tan - his will help to lay down yours and their expectations before you even begin. So no nasty surprises xx

Latest posts

Back