First mobile client! Have a few questions, please can you help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruppod

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new mobile nail tech and new to SG, so hello!
I had my first clients today (group of 3 girls having a get together). It was nerve-wrecking having to try to do a mani and pedi on 3 people and I was so slow with the first that I only managed to get 1 and a half done.….. :cry:
Please may I ask you how long it should take to do a manicure and a pedicure, including washing the feet, taking off hard skin, massage & polish etc on one client. Also, as I understand, there is no soaking feet etc included in a Shellac pedicure, do you know why that is? (Is that normal?).
Many thanks

Hi everyone, I'm a new mobile nail tech and new to SG, so hello!
I had my first clients today (group of 3 girls having a get together). It was nerve-wrecking having to try to do a mani and pedi on 3 people and I was so slow with the first that I only managed to get 1 and a half done.….. :cry:
Please may I ask you how long it should take to do a manicure and a pedicure, including washing the feet, taking off hard skin, massage & polish etc on one client. Also, as I understand, there is no soaking feet etc included in a Shellac pedicure, do you know why that is? (Is that normal?).
Many thanks

I think everyone will have different ideas on timings for Mani/pedis. I usually aim for 75mins for a Mani or pedi but others may be different. I don't do full pedis incl hard skin removal so that may affect timing advice from others.

No soaking should be done prior to shellac application due to the water expanding the nail plate, it could cause the shellac to lifting when shrinking back to its usual size. You can soak after applying shellac though.

First clients are always the toughest as it can be a bit overwhelming, especially when there is more than one! You're a braver person than I am to take on three for your first appointment!

Good luck with your business, it won't be long before you're giving your own advice to newbies :) this forum has been great for me for advice and help, even reading through old threads has been great for me. A slight contradiction to how I felt about it a few months ago but I'm still learning everyday and this place is my go to for advice and ideas! I'm really glad I gave it another go because the advice really is priceless and some of the geeks here are so knowledgeable, its great to pick their brains!

Last edited:
Thanks princessamie, it now makes sense about the Shellac pedicure! Hopefully I'll get faster with time! Was really nervous too so I guess that doesn't help either!

I'm mobile and I offer 2 types of pedicures.
Express; soak, exfoliate, hard skin removal, moisturise, file, cuticles & paint. Takes me 40 minutes
Luxury; same as above plus a foot and lower leg massage & a foot masque with heated booties. Takes me 1 hour

If I add a shellac polish on to this instead of normal polish then I allow an extra 30 minutes.

My manicures are also the same as above, 40 minutes for an express & 1 hour for luxury :)

You'll soon get into a good routine though and speed up so I wouldn't beat yourself up about this too much.

Being mobile to start with having to set up each time takes a bit of thought as your thinking of the best way to do things and getting your bearings but once you get your system and routine sorted you'll soon speed up :)

Xxxxx

Just had a quick look at your profile & noticed you didn't have any info on it, when you get a spare 5 minutes it's good to fill out your profile section so other geeks can see what you offer etc just helps some geeks to have a look at your back ground when helping & advising you, it's also good to look at to get to know people a tint bit better ;) xxxxxx

Thanks princessamie, it now makes sense about the Shellac pedicure! Hopefully I'll get faster with time! Was really nervous too so I guess that doesn't help either!

You will, its like anything... The more you get used to doing something, the more confident you'll feel and the time will just come naturally.

The more you'll do, the more you'll find ways to keep the time down - setting up and putting products in the order that you'll use them really helps, get the client to choose their colour whilst you're doing pep (they'll have one hand free at least until you scrub fresh, that's enough time)... Just little things but things that could save a couple of minutes here and there.

It will all slot into place :)

My first shellac manicure (just a basic, no soaking or scrubs or anything) took me 90 minutes 😱 and I'm down to a maximum of an hour now, just from building confidence.

Hi ladies
I just want to say thank you for all your comments, they've been really helpful!
Faylizzie, I have now updated my profile, was struggling to do it on the app, but figured out how to do it on the website!!
Lots of love.xxxxx

Hi there, I don't really have any words of wisdom but just wanted to reassure you that you're not alone. I'm new to this too and am REALLY slow. It's a pain but I know I'll get quicker with experience and as other geeks have said, with confidence. You'll get there too 😃😃 xx

You do get faster as you prgress.
I feel particularly when you're mobile (which I am) you need to get used to your routine and find the best way to kit out your bag or however you transport your equipment.

I take 45 mins - 1 hour for a pedi and allowe 1 hour 15 for a pedi with gel polish.

I would say I take 30 mins for an express mani and 45 mins for a standard mani

I'm certainly not the fastest but I'm happy with my timings and the quality of my work.

You really do eventually get into a flow.

I have all my pedi products in one pocket of my bag which opens and lays down. They're in order of use and so I therefore work my way down the row from step 1 to step 5 for example. My files are always to my right as are my tools as I'm right handed. My dirty towel after hard skin removal goes straight into a bag on my left and I have a little rubbish bag to my left aswell for cotton pads/disposables.

xxx

Latest posts

Back