First 'real' client-everything that could go wrong, did

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This afternoon I had my first 'real' client booked in - real in that I didn't know her beforehand. She asked for a soakoff and reapplication of acrylic tips. Wonderful as I'm still building up my acrylic portfolio.
Anyway I got there and it was a mad house (fair enough) I had to wait for her to finish lunch before I could even set up.
Then came the fun part. I couldn't get the old acrylic off. She said she'd had several infills. I persevered. I'd wrapped in Gelish artificial nail remover soaked pads, then wrapped in foils (as I always do with no problems). I pushed the softened acrylic off with an orangewood stick, but it was pretty stubborn. It just would not come off :mad:. She had them done at a reputable salon down the road, so I doubt it was the acrylic itself that was the problem, and her nails were in good condition underneath.

Then another member of her family asked if I would do hers. No problem, I had no other clients or plans for the afternoon. So I decided I would do hers whilst the first lady's were soaking some more (second lot of wraps).
So that went ok, but meanwhile I was still checking the other ladies....hardly budging.
Second lady complete, I started again properly on lady #1. I was getting there slowly, but it was taking ages and I felt so stupid. She knows I am new, but this was just rediculous. I soaked, pushed with orangewood stick, filed it, but it just wasn't budging, it was so hard. I felt so incompetent.
Then....her little girl accidentally knocked my NEW (open) box of tips off the table :Scared:. We were all in hysterics, and it was purely an accident, but it was just another thing to add to the list of what was going wrong. The appointment was at 12:30. I'm not sure exactly what time I started (as they were eating when I arrived), but I didn't leave until 5:15 and am just exhausted!!! :Scared: I charged her my newbie rates (as I don't feel good enough yet to charge full wack - as today clearly shows!)

So my question is...what would you do in these situations? What if I had other clients to go to after her, and her acrylic just wasn't budging? I've never had issues like that before with other removals so it's really knocked my confidence!! I feel like never touching my acrylic brush again!
I know some techs don't remove other techs work, but as I'd never had a problem before, i didn't think it would be a problem today, and who am I to turn a client away when I'm still a newbie and have so much to learn?

help, geeks, help!

Poor you, don't let it get you down. Your starting out and everyone has bad days. Think of it as a baptism of fire :) I don't do acrylics so not sure what steps you should/could have taken to speed the process but when I was starting mobile I always gave myself a good wide berth between clients just incase I ran over or something unexpected happened x

Hi

Did you clip as much as the nail/extension away as you could? Also did you file the nail before soaking in acetone?

miss Beauty-licious

For acrylic removal I find it easier to soak in acetone rather than wrap in foil. I think that as you are charging newbie rates, you shouldn't worry too much about it taking a while. The only part that I think is out of order is her not being ready when you arrived! Cheeky mare!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you :)

The process I used was:
File each nail down (her natural nails were quite long underneath), then filed the acrylic using an nsi 100 file as I was taught
Placed an artificial nail remover (Gelish) on a pad, placed it on the nail then wrapped in foils. I left it for at least 30mins.
Removed foil and used an orange wood stick to push the dissolved acrylic off
Filed a bit to remove more bulk
Re wrapped as above and left it while I was doing the other girls nails with the occasional peep.

Wondering whether I should take a bowl in future and just soak it off?! Though ideally I wanted to use a gentler remover than pure acetone (like the one I've been using). Is that where i might be going wrong?

Thanks for all your replies! Xx

For acrylic removal I find it easier to soak in acetone rather than wrap in foil. I think that as you are charging newbie rates, you shouldn't worry too much about it taking a while. The only part that I think is out of order is her not being ready when you arrived! Cheeky mare!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Whoops sorry I didn't see your reply before I posted :)
I think I will try soaking next time! :)

Ha I couldn't believe it, her whole family were sat round the table eating! I arrived bang on time so it's not like i caught her unawares!

Is this what I'm going to have to put up with from clients from now on? Hehe xx

I'm so glad i'm not mobile. I just cant bare situations like this. Don't let it knock your confidence though. There's a few different things you can try for next time.

Take four bowls with you, pour some hot/almost boiled water into two of them (dont fill them so that they are full, just a little bit in the bottom on the bowl.) Then place your other 2 bowls filled with acetone on top of them. The heat will help to soak off quicker. If you've got any heated mitts you could wrap up as normal, place the hands in plastic bags then into the mitts. Remember to file off as much of the bulk as you can before hand.

The only other thing i would say is that when removing another techs work, i charge £5 per 15mins. You don't want to have to sit there for an hour for £5 or however much you charge to remove. I understand you;re just starting out and want to build up your client base, but don't end up selling your self short.

God I feel for you :hug:

Rest assured it will (most probably) never be that bad again. That sounds truly awful.

What would I have done differently? Well, pure acetone definitely, no idea what the remover you used contained but acrylic breaks down very well in 100% acetone. If you were applying new tips, I would have used the clippers to clipper off as much of the old nails as possible, I would also have used a very coarse file to etch the surface of the nails if they had a gel topcoat so that the acetone can penetrate better. And I would use that file for removing the acrylic until getting close to the natural nail, when I'd swap to a much finer.

If you can warm the acetone it will help, so will the mitts as previously mentioned, (never heat it in a microwave it will explode - sorry feel duty bound to put that bit in, never know who's reading) or place a heated wheat bag over the fingers if wrapped. Or if you're soaking in bowls, I'd wrap a towel round to stop them keep taking their fingers out to have a look :irked:.

Damn cheek not being ready. I remember when I used to be mobile, people really pi55ed me about. I used to be up and down letting dogs in and out, signing for parcels at the door, getting cakes out of the oven (I kid you not), and waiting for them to finish their Alpen before we could make a start. What is the matter with these people?:irked:

Chin up, chicken, it won't get worse than this! xx

You haven't said anything about the application and finish so I'm guessing that went ok? If so then focus on that! The removal was a nightmare, you didn't know what was on her nails so you was going in blind and you handled the situation professionally and left her with what I'm sure was a beautiful set of nails xxxx

If the nails are in decent shape, no lifting, no mold etc... why remove them?
You could politely explain to the client, that not knowing what is on her hands, you could just infill.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

What type of bowls do you use to soak off as worried about plastic ones melting :-(

I use glass ones x

Just to say Acrygel is a nightmare to remove and not easily soaked off. My client went elsewhere when I wasn't available. When she came back I went to remove her Acrylics and was shocked it didn't budge after 20 minutes. Luckily she remembered the name of the product and told me it was Acrygel. I knew then why it wouldn't budge. Good luck in the future xx

Bless you! That sounds like an utter nightmare.

You can get bowls with two compartments. They are acetone proof and fab. You put almost boiling water in the bottom and clip the top on, well, on top, lol.
Put acetone in the top one and the hot water heats it

Here you go

2 x EDGE NAIL THERMAL SOAK OFF BOWLS, ACETONE PROOF, fast removal acrylic | eBay

Don't worry too much about using pure acetone. Pop on plenty of cuticle oil after the treatment and I even rub in some hand moisturiser for good measure x x

if it makes you feel better, my first ever "real" client, was down over the border (in NSW) I completely forgot they have "daylight saving" and are two hours behind us...... their 4pm isn't our 4pm..... oops!!!
To top it off, I did manage to do her nails in about two hours (what I said it would take) but her light was absolutely shocking too. It was at her dining table, and I may as well have just had the kitchen lights on :eek: won't start on it was a beatch to find, and no where near as close as she had said.....

I invested in one of these and its a total game changer! Not that cheap, but SO worth it. http://www.nsinails.co.uk/content/easy_soak

The (hand) hot water is safely secured in the chamber and hands rest really comfortably in it, rather than hovering over double bowls. Two tips - buy a cheap mini plastic funnel and a jug for quickness when filling with hot water, and use pipettes to put the acetone into the finger wells.

I agree with the others soak in acetone - I sometimes pop my dish in some wam water and place a towel over the top to accelerate it.

Sorry didn't see the thermal bowls posted above - I have those. Brilliant!

Latest posts

Back