First Set Of Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annie

Reaction score
Hi just wanted to say I have done my first set of enhancements today and it took me 4 1/2 hours. I have to say that although my friend was pleased with her nails I was disappointed with them. I did the tips ok and was pleased with the blending and de bulking. Shortly after that a friend of hers came round and stood talking but watched everything I did and asked loads of questions, how off putting is that. Although since finishing my CND Foundation course a month ago I have only practised on trainer hand I felt I needed to practice on a 'real' person. I have spent the last month reading Gigi's brilliant tutorials trying to take it all in but perhaps it has all been too much too soon? I was not happy with my product application and felt that I has applied too much, got confused with which files I should be using and kept having to refer to my notes. The finished nails I thought were far from perfect although my friend was pleased with them. Now I feel quite down and wonder if any of you felt the same at the beginning. I would dearly love to watch someone do a full set of nails professionally but can't bring myself to go into a salon and ask and although I know I could pay to have my own nails done and watch the nail tech I feel that its not the same. How sad must I seem! Just needed to get that off my chest Annie x

hello annie
i may not be a top professional but i know how you feel for a long time that is exactly what i did i had my nails done and watched what they did and how they did it. At times i thought well that was not done how it should be even though i was assured it was right. Give it a go. it really does it for me. The same is before i let a hairdresser touch my hair i have to sit down and watch them perform on someone else. Then i would give it a go. May sound cruel but that is how i am. :hug:

Well, i say go for it. I did it miself because i was doing some nails that i weren't completely sadisfied with. I went to a nail tech to do a repair and i got a huge ego boost up. I kept noticing she did lots and lots of mistakes and the final work was terrible, a very thick nail full of lumps! Not to mention the disaster of sanitation she was practising. And don't worry to much, it will come naturaly, i too thought i was taking forever to complete a full set but it seems like evry time i do one i cut my time a little bit. I've been at it at about 5 months and it takes me about 3 hours now, it used to take 5... And i'm now getting almost no lifting wich is great! The best advice is to PRACTISE! Hugz!

I agree, PRACTISE!
but i still take 3 hours hehe and still get lifting... but.. its getting better :)

Ive not been doing nails that long (went on my CND foundation course in March)and I remember that after a couple of months of practising on friends and family I needed some more help. I got to the point where I just wanted someone who had more experience to say "why not try this! or "no you do it like this" or even "yes that's right".

I did a bit of investigating and found a creative nail salon near to me (Crazy n Creative) and booked myself in for a full set and also went back for maintenance. (Ive owned up to it now and she was great about it)!

It helped me absolute wonderers. I came out of the salon buzzing, thinking yes ive definately chosen in the right profession and im going to produce nails like this, to this standard and service. I also picked up some geat tips from someone who is absolutely crazy about nails (Caroline aka crazy bird).

Thanks Caroline!

Debs

Hi, Annie

Know exactly what your going through. I've been doing nails since May and although am absolutely fine with my regulars I still get nervous when I have a new Client.

What I used to do in the beginning to help me remember, was put my products and files in order that I would need them on the desk. This is better than looking at notes as the Client doesn't realise what you are doing and also makes sure you don't miss anything vital (like primer for acrylic, which I did on my very first set and they all fell off in a couple of days!!)

Good luck.

Tanya

Thanks for all of your replies I think I may take the plunge and go and have my nails done there are a few salons close by who use Creative. Good idea Tanya about putting files in order we were actually taught to put things in order on Manicure/Ped course at college, however we didn't use as many files!! Just noticed now that a few of my own nails have got yellow stains on, what does that mean?? Annie x

ok hun i have'nt got my kids all week so hopefully as long as i don't go and get them (cos i miss them already and it has only been 4 hours) i will be free for a couple of hours one day so how about i put a set of nails on you (FOC) so that way you get to watch me and get a set of nails!
Now i am by no means a fantastic nail technician but i have plenty of happy clients and no lifting! And i have my first master class on monday so i will be able to put my new found skills to the test!
Let me know if this is ok and i will pm you my number.
Amanda

Hi Ya,

Snap! My first set also took 4 hours (ArgHHHHH). I persevered as I is very dispointing I think a lot of people feel that way at first. Keep pratising on real people now offer them 1/2 price extensions to cover your costs. The first set I decided to do were fibreglass and they came out terrible.

Dont worry and start to enjoy what you achieveing as it will all come together for you soon!!

Keep going Jenny :biggrin:

annie said:
Hi just wanted to say I have done my first set of enhancements today and it took me 4 1/2 hours. I have to say that although my friend was pleased with her nails I was disappointed with them.
me too!! seriously, 4and a half hours - i thoughtthey looked terrible but my friend loved them...it does get better and I too followed my notes!! as an fyi, my favorite files are still the Kanga, Koala, Tuxedo and Girlfriend!! Keep going Annie - you are only at the beginning so of course, you can only get better and better!! ;)

Annie give 'em an inch & they'll take a mile.It's not rude to focus on your work/client.There are alotof things to think of at first.But dont be shy of letting them know you may need some quiet timt to be able to do this.Try & initate a conversation between the other people then you can get back to it. Good luck & stick with it.It all comes together easier if your'e relaxed & comfortable.Do what you need to achieve this but still be polite.[They used to call me Speedtrap at the local R/Skating rink 80's OOh boy!] jnail AUSTRALIA.

I'm so pleased that I found this site, I thought that it was only me that spent ages doing extensions and then after all that work they look awful. I've only been qualified (VTCT) for a couple of weeks but am practising and reading loads - it really helps.

Karaxxx

I too used to take 5 hours to do a full set and still four hours for infills, so you aren't thenonly one who took for ever. I felt i was going to have to offer lunch or dinner free with a set as they took so long....lol.

My Aunt who has natural nails and very long at that, has been with me since the beginning. She has gone through the rough and tough times and is now appreciating the fact they look great now. I have been qualified since March, although i still don't really see myself as fully qualified yet, still doing on going training and practising and studying too.

The key is to NOT GIVE UP, keep practising and playing and just get to enjoy what you're doing. I was told by someone that you need to do at least 50 fullsets before you really start to produce great nails, so think about how many you have really done and then you will see you just need more practise.
I finally can do a set in 2 and 1/2 hours and its getting quicker all the time, mainly because i relax and enjoy what i do. You will get there.

Hi What a cool site !

Hi Annie, I have just finished the 4 day Foundation course with Creative and Loved it, my first set took me 4.5 hours that was on the 3rd day of the course. My second at home took me 2.5 hours my 3rd took me 2.15 hours so I am getting faster!

Yellowing Acrylic can be that your brush is contaminated - Need a new one I'am afraid.
It can also be the product I use to use the edge and that yellowed but now with Creative it's fab! and never yellows.

Hey there. This is the best site.No Doubt. I had the yellow brush thing happening & then was advised by one of our Brilliant Grand Masters Cherie Luker that if your store your brush with bristels facing down. All's well & now I'm not ruining my GOOD Creative brushes.Lasting heaps longer. Very satisfied CREATIVE MASTER TECH.jnail AUSTRALIA

Hi, thanks to you all for your replies its nice knowing that every one has been in my position and taken as long as me. Regarding practicing when I did my CND Foundation course there was an odd number of us so instead of pairing up we had to work in a 3 some which wasn't ideal and then when I went back for the fourth day one of the girls models didnt turn up so she shared my model & I only got to do one hand for the re balance. Consequently I didn't really get much practice that day and now when i'm practicing at home i'm not 100% sure i'm doing it right! Anyway enough of that Amanda you are lifesaver I would you to put a set of nails on me I am not at work next thursday if you are free, Annie xx

Hi there...

i have only been doing nails since March and my first set took forever too!!! The lady i was working on kept stopping for a "fag break"!!!! :irked:

you sound like me...very self critical. i dont think this is a bad thing as it means you know your weaknesses and what you need to work on. i would be more worried if you thought everything was hunky dory and your nails were brilliant! we all have to start somewhere and practise makes perfect.
after some hideous creations, my nails are a hell of a lot better and i hardly have any lifting. for me, thats progress!!!

we are all in the same boat so dont feel bad!

kirsten x

Hi there----I am a newbie-------licensed for just a month. The one thing I believe has saved me is I found a mentor. I went to the salon where I had been getting my nails done (4 yrs previous) and asked my old nail tech (who also happens to be the owner now) if she would help me. She agreed and I can't tell you how much that has helped me. I started "training" about a month before I got my license and currently schedule a model for everyday that I am there to practice on. In the beginning, I would put cuticle oil on the nail and then glue a tip on. You can then put on your acrylic, hand file, and use the e-file and when you are done, the nail comes off with little effort. I practice on my husband alot by putting them on, taking them off, and starting over. Practice is key--------practice as often as you can----the end result only gets better and you will see that this will help you to remember the steps and shorten the amount of time it takes to do a full set.
Good luck,
Veronica

Can't believe I've just posted a reply 3 times!!! Big mistake didn't realise it was on page 2!! Anyway thanks again for advice. Annie xx

Hi,
Dont get disheartened....keep on practising, every set will get better & better and evetually you wont be watching the clock....! If you are going to shell out £30-£40 for a set of nails to pick your nail technicians brain (and you dont know how long ago she trained and what bad habilts she may have picked up!!) wouldent you be better going back to your Creative Educator for a one to one session it would be better value and geared to your own needs.
Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back