Quantcast

foil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmalouisa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
908
Reaction score
4
Location
essex
why cant i get my foil to stick on my nails i put the glue on then wait but i press it on and it snt on the nail lol
how long should i press it on for ??? or leave the glue for???
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
Hi Em: are u using a very very thin layer of glue?? How long r u leaving it before you try to stick the foil to it?
 

emmalouisa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
908
Reaction score
4
Location
essex
the blue tends to fade then i put it on i thought i was leavin it too long but still didnt stick??? how long shall i leave it??
maybe im puttin it on too thick??
ill give it another go soon
 

talented talons

Master Artist
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
3,176
Reaction score
71
Location
essex
I thought with putting foils on you need to put the adhesive on which is milky in colour. Then when it dries clear you then press your foil on firmly and make sure you really go down the sides using a tissue over the top , then when you peel the backing off as such the foil should remain, hope this helps.
 

emmalouisa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
908
Reaction score
4
Location
essex
does it matter if you press it firmly ? or keep rubbing it???
 

princessmowgli

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
345
Reaction score
8
Location
Gloucester
You need to apply the adhesive as thinly as possible. Assuming it is milky in colour, wait until it goes clear & then put on the foil. Press it down all over the nail so as not to miss any 'glued' area perhaps with a tissue/lint free pad & then lift the foil from the finger. Any areas not covered can be retouched by replacing the foil on top. Apply a sealer.

This said I have also had some trouble with the finished effect. Does either the foil or the adhesive have a shelf life, or maye there could be dust on the foil. I just don't know other than the fact that often it works but sometimes it simply doesn't. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Sonia
 

Karen_SCV

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
191
Reaction score
7
Location
St Helens, Merseyside
As already said the glue needs to be applied very thinly & then given plenty of time to dry. Once the glue is completely clear I apply the foil & rub with a cotton bud. As you are rubbing you can usually see the foil starting to seperate from the backing film, dont try to pull the backing off to early, if you have rubbed sufficiently it should lift away nicely.

The biggest problem I have had with the finished effect is with the metalic effect foils which, once I applied the sealer, started to look as if the foil was cracked. I did once see a picture of a metalic foiled nail which was descibed as a "pretty antique look" but to me it just looked cracked :lol: So I'm not sure if it was just my application or if metalic foils all do that.
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
princessmowgli said:
You need to apply the adhesive as thinly as possible. Assuming it is milky in colour, wait until it goes clear & then put on the foil. Press it down all over the nail so as not to miss any 'glued' area perhaps with a tissue/lint free pad & then lift the foil from the finger. Any areas not covered can be retouched by replacing the foil on top. Apply a sealer.

This said I have also had some trouble with the finished effect. Does either the foil or the adhesive have a shelf life, or maye there could be dust on the foil. I just don't know other than the fact that often it works but sometimes it simply doesn't. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Sonia
Sonia: dont know if they have a shelf life but Em's problem definitely isnt that coz she bought them from me and they are only 3 months old!!! Not only that, i showed her how to do it using the stuff she bought from me and it was fine!! Lol!!

It is absolutely imperative that you leave it long enough and that you apply the adhesive really thinly. That is where people always get in trouble with wraps/foils.

Em: the adhesive has a blue tinge when you put it on: wait until it goes clear (well as clear as it will do!). Keep trying hunny, it gets easier :)
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
Karen_SCV said:
As already said the glue needs to be applied very thinly & then given plenty of time to dry. Once the glue is completely clear I apply the foil & rub with a cotton bud. As you are rubbing you can usually see the foil starting to seperate from the backing film, dont try to pull the backing off to early, if you have rubbed sufficiently it should lift away nicely.

The biggest problem I have had with the finished effect is with the metalic effect foils which, once I applied the sealer, started to look as if the foil was cracked. I did once see a picture of a metalic foiled nail which was descibed as a "pretty antique look" but to me it just looked cracked :lol: So I'm not sure if it was just my application or if metalic foils all do that.
Cant help ya, Karen, coz i've never used metallic foils but i'm sure it shouldnt crack like that. Maybe that's why they call it the antique look - coz there's not other way it goes on!!! I've been little or no help here - sorry about that!!!!!!!
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
talented talons said:
I thought with putting foils on you need to put the adhesive on which is milky in colour. Then when it dries clear you then press your foil on firmly and make sure you really go down the sides using a tissue over the top , then when you peel the backing off as such the foil should remain, hope this helps.
Wendy, me darling mate, you are absolutely correct in what you say but as you know with everything nails, sometimes its easier said than done and it's just perseverance and a lot of swearing!!!!!!!! ;)
 

mandy_moo_64

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
209
Reaction score
3
Location
cleveland, UK
When i first started using foils,i was putting it on the nail back-to-front and couldnt understand why it wouldn't stick!! I know its a long shot, but you are putting the foil on the nail with pattern-side down aren't you? If you are, then just make sure you're only applying a really thin layer of adhesive,wipe the brush on the side of the bottle 4 or 5 times before putting it on the nail, then like Carole says, wait for it to go clear b4 putting the foil on.

Best of luck !!
 

glenda

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
289
Reaction score
3
Location
west yorkshire
i have a problem with metalic crazing when i put the sealer on. looks terific til that goes on
 

emmalouisa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
908
Reaction score
4
Location
essex
hi i dont no wats going on with it i just havent got the patience for it i tryed it again but some parts didnt stick properly x
thanxs 4 your help
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
emmalouisa said:
hi i dont no wats going on with it i just havent got the patience for it i tryed it again but some parts didnt stick properly x
thanxs 4 your help
u'll get it if you persevere! step back coz you've obviously been trying too hard hunny!
 

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Joined
Nov 6, 2003
Messages
10,231
Reaction score
442
Location
Lellipop Land
I would also say make sure you cover the whole nail with adhesive, Its very easy to miss bits of the nail and then the foil doesnt cover the entire nail.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top