Foils help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity.spa

Reaction score
I have recently been getting quite a few clients wanting foils on their nails, usually I'll do a accent nails with some on it but more and more clients are wanting it over the entire nail. I do my base gel, two colour coats and then do a top coat to seal and put the foils over top but they don't last that long, not that they do anyway. I have tried roughing the top coat putting foils on and then top coating over foils but the top coat just peels off not long after. Because of the high shine foils.

Should I use a standard polish top coat, or is there another way with using my gel top coat?

Thanks in advance

I put the foils on the sticky layer after the second color coat and then topcoat!

I use foils a lot :)

If they want a random effect, I "dab" the foils onto the sticky layer of the second colour coat and then top coat.

If they want full coverage of the foil, I use foil adhesive over the sticky layer and wait for it to go clear and tacky, and then smooth over the foil and then top coat.

I put the foils on the sticky layer after the second color coat and then topcoat!

I also do it like this and get good results

Yea that's what I do. But I'm finding that my top coat is just peeling away from the foil. I have tried so many ways but it just comes off within a couple of days.

Are you leaving enough of a gap for the top coat to suitable adhere to the nail?

Are you leaving enough of a gap for the top coat to suitable adhere to the nail?

Can you not cover the whole nail with the foil then? X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can you not cover the whole nail with the foil then? X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

You need to leave a small gap around the nail for the top coat to 'seal' in the design and cap the free edge too! Hth's x

Yeah that it what I meant :) xxx

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1382996164.499515.jpg

Theses are shellac rock royalty and a 3d purple foil, I find some foils work well and some just will not work no matter how hard you try x

They look lovely! Glad I managed to spell all the words correctly in this post, silly autocorrect... Do you find it a problem with where you buy them from/brand etc or just sporadic ones just don't play nicely?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

I buy most my foils from S2 and eBay, I have lots of foils and some just won't stick. I do find some shellac colours better like rock royalty is great for foils and it is just trial and error but I don't use foil glue but I may give it a go with some foils that don't work. The foil in the pic came in a set of 5 and only 2 work !!!!! I have no idea why the other 3 won't stick 😳 x

I buy most my foils from S2 and eBay, I have lots of foils and some just won't stick. I do find some shellac colours better like rock royalty is great for foils and it is just trial and error but I don't use foil glue but I may give it a go with some foils that don't work. The foil in the pic came in a set of 5 and only 2 work !!!!! I have no idea why the other 3 won't stick 😳 x

Have you tried removing the powdery coating from the back of the foil? I usually remove it with IPA and then apply the foil. The foil seems to transfer better after I remove that coating.

Try using foil glue and cure in your lamp for 2 min. Helps the glue dry faster. Works like a charm.

Have you tried removing the powdery coating from the back of the foil? I usually remove it with IPA and then apply the foil. The foil seems to transfer better after I remove that coating.

Yes I have removed the back of them and still no luck but I'm going to try glue and see if that works, it's such a shame as the foils are stunning x

Same as Bo - where those pesky few foils don't work, I use a layer of foil adhesive over my second cured colour coat, then cure for 90 seconds in my CND lamp - brilliant x

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Same as Bo - where those pesky few foils don't work, I use a layer of foil adhesive over my second cured colour coat, then cure for 90 seconds in my CND lamp - brilliant x

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm going to try that later x

Latest posts

Back